Saint's Row 4 and Collector's Edition Absurdity
Subject: General Tech | August 13, 2013 - 03:27 PM | Scott Michaud
Tagged: what?, Saints Row IV, gaming
"AAA" games will often launch adjacent fan editions of itself. Gamers can, for an extra ten-to-forty dollars, receive anything from an art book to vouchers for future (or day one) content updates. Marketing and development costs have exploded for titles these days. If done properly, collectors' editions are a method to increase profitability without straying from the expected price point.
Saints Row has never been subtle. The first game satisfied the need for a next generation Grand Theft Auto before Rockstar and it did so with gleeful ignorance to tact. Need money? Start a mission where you jump in front of passing cars to sue their drivers.
Already have a lot of money? Buy Saints Row IV: Super Dangerous Wad Wad Edition.
Included with the limited edition:
Saints Row IV: Commander in Chief Edition
- Saints Row IV
- 'Merica Weapon DLC
- Screaming Eagle Jet DLC
- Uncle Sam Suit DLC
- Full-size replica of the Dub-Step gun
- A year's membership to Super Car (not really sure what that is)
- A "Capsule Wardrobe" (?)
- A personal shopper to help you select said Capsule Wardrobe (??)
- Plastic Surgery (!)
- A Toyota Prius, insurance paid for a year (?????)
A Lamborghini Gallardo to go with your Prius (?!?!?!?!?!)
- ... starting to figure out "Super Car" now...
- Tickets for a Virgin Galactic space flight (sure, at this point, why not?)
- A full day of spy training and a hostage rescue experience
- 7 nights, for two, at The Jefferson Hotel in Washington DC
- Another 7 nights at Top Royal Suite in Dubai
All of this could be yours (and if yours, only yours, no more than one will be sold) for a million dollars. I mean, why not? If a publisher will spend $30-100 million in marketing for a game they might as well get some eccentric fan to foot a bit of the bill in exchange for the... almost literally... presidential treatment.
Certainly got us talking. Saint's Row IV will be available for the PC and other platforms this month, August 20th with Europe following three days later. If you are interested in this edition... no-one seems to know how to purchase it. I guess if you are serious about burning a million, email them?