Podcast #391 - AMD's news from GDC, the MSI Vortex, and Q&A!

Subject: General Tech | March 17, 2016 - 11:07 PM |
Tagged: podcast, video, amd, XConnect, gdc 2016, Vega, Polaris, navi, razer blade, Sulon Q, Oculus, vive, raja koduri, GTX 1080, msi, vortex, Intel, skulltrail, nuc

PC Perspective Podcast #391 - 03/17/2016

Join us this week as we discuss the AMD's news from GDC, the MSI Vortex, and Q&A!

You can subscribe to us through iTunes and you can still access it directly through the RSS page HERE.

The URL for the podcast is: http://pcper.com/podcast - Share with your friends!

Hosts: Ryan Shrout, Jeremy Hellstrom, Josh Walrath, and Allyn Malventano

Subscribe to the PC Perspective YouTube Channel for more videos, reviews and podcasts!!

Video News

March 18, 2016 | 01:44 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Hi Josh Walrath. I really like listening to what you have to say, but your internet is ruining the podcast! Maybe you could stream at a lesser quality? Or pre-record? idk

March 18, 2016 | 02:44 AM - Posted by Oskars (not verified)

Yeah, Josh is the main reason I too listen PcPer podcast, but the quality of his connection is starting to be grotesque.
Does he have only 2 options for internet at his home, Time Warner cable and Comcast? :(

March 18, 2016 | 03:10 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I bet it's CenturyLink and Charter

March 18, 2016 | 10:21 AM - Posted by Josh Walrath

Yup, CL and Charter are my only options.  They are both sucking right now.

March 19, 2016 | 01:23 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

You are in Rawlins, Wyoming, right? I have driven across country many times on i80 and I think I have stopped in Rawlins, but I don't actually remember what is there. I probably just got gas and fast food. I usually do a 2.5 to 3 day trip from San Jose to my home town in Michigan (just south of Kalamazoo, actually). I haven't driven it in a while though. It is over 40 or 45 hours on the road, so to do it that fast doesn't involve stopping much.

If you have cable, I am surprised it isn't faster unless they oversubscribed it. With the cable system in my home town (Charter, I think), they oversubscribed it when they first started selling it. It would often drop the connection completely. I have Comcast in San Jose which is supposed to be 60 MBit or so, but I am lucky to get 10 Mbit during prime Netflix watching time.

I have seen a lot of streamers (YouTube and twitch) having trouble with this. Some of them had to pay for business class to get more guaranteed bandwidth. This is expensive though, and may not be available. I saw one person say they asked to be upgraded to business class and the cable company refused, which is strange, since it cost a lot more. This probably means that their neighborhood is oversubscribed, and the cable company cannot guarantee them the amount of bandwidth that would be allotted to a business class link. I really hope we get google fiber or something in my area. My only choice is Comcast really. ATT can only offer 1.5 or 3 Mbit DSL.

March 18, 2016 | 12:43 PM - Posted by Xebec

It works better when you use the Canadian codec to listen in..

March 18, 2016 | 04:31 PM - Posted by Ghostmop

At what Patreon level do we get Josh to move to a city with decent broadband?

March 18, 2016 | 11:46 PM - Posted by Tim Verry

lol, nah we'll just run him some dedicated fiber :)

March 18, 2016 | 07:24 PM - Posted by Speely

Aww, I never got my spam notification email that you were doing a podcast. I thought you guys weren't doing one this week. :(

Ah well, it's up now, I can still watch it. Just a day late.

March 21, 2016 | 02:33 PM - Posted by extide

Regarding big dies on 14nm, you forgot Xeon D which is in the 250-350mm range, and they have been pumping those out for a long time.