Podcast #379 - Snapdragon 820, AMD's GPUOpen, Thrustmaster T300 and more!

Subject: General Tech | December 17, 2015 - 02:35 PM |
Tagged: video, Thrustmaster, T300, snapdragon 820, Skylake, qualcomm, podcast, logitech g, Intel, i3-6100, gpuopen, gameworks, arx control, amd

PC Perspective Podcast #379 - 12/17/2015

Join us this week as we discuss the Snapdragon 820, AMD's GPUOpen, Thrustmaster T300 and more!

You can subscribe to us through iTunes and you can still access it directly through the RSS page HERE.

The URL for the podcast is: http://pcper.com/podcast - Share with your friends!

• iTunes - Subscribe to the podcast directly through the iTunes Store
  • RSS - Subscribe through your regular RSS reader
  • MP3 - Direct download link to the MP3 file

Hosts: Josh Walrath, Jeremy Hellstrom, Allyn Malventano, and Sebastian Peak

Subscribe to the PC Perspective YouTube Channel for more videos, reviews and podcasts!!

Video News

December 17, 2015 | 06:32 PM - Posted by pdjblum

Allyn, if you are going to host this thing, learn proper English. 'Like,' your incessant use of 'like' makes it 'like' this podcast is hosted by, 'like,' a Valley Girl.

December 18, 2015 | 02:15 AM - Posted by Jan (not verified)

you got some frustration there buddy, maybe find somebody to talk about it

December 20, 2015 | 09:54 PM - Posted by pdjblum

Sorry for being a dick about it. Thanks for the feedback guys.

December 20, 2015 | 11:28 PM - Posted by collie

I'm guessing you were having a bad day. It happens

December 18, 2015 | 11:45 AM - Posted by Ryan Shrout

I agree with Jan here. Relax, bud.

December 19, 2015 | 11:14 PM - Posted by collie

Go outside, breath some air, chill the fuck out.

"isn't what a man says more important than how long he takes to say it?" Emperor Claudius

December 18, 2015 | 02:12 AM - Posted by Jan (not verified)

unlucky frame for the "preview" here, Sebastian just about to change his bionic eye, lol.

December 19, 2015 | 11:16 PM - Posted by collie

Sorry I missed the show. Getting ready to get in line for starwars. EVEN WITH reserved seating I still NEEDED to be in line for hours then watch 4-6 in the same theater I was about to watch 7

Soooo, yea, computers, star wars, sex-free life, other geek stuff.

December 19, 2015 | 11:17 PM - Posted by collie

ALSO, SPOILER FREE!!!!!

It's Perfect.

December 21, 2015 | 09:57 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

The frames per second stuff sounds like the "bob" de-interlacing setting in handbrake. This seems to be the best de-interlacing setting if the source video is actually stored as interlaced and is "cleanly" interlaced. I have run into some videos where they have edited interlaced and non-interlaced video segments together without de-interlacing first. This causes all kinds of issues when attempting to de-interlace. Editing video in interlaced form can also introduce artifacts, since it can confuse the de-interlacer. I would hope that modern video editing tools would not allow you to make cuts in between the two fields of each frame. I have seen this on a music video DVD I ripped. It was an older video that had edits that caught only one field of a frame. This caused the de-interlacer to generate strange results. Also, I have seen several cases of videos that were resized while still interlaced and then stored as progressive. This results in terrible quality and probably can not be fixed.

In handbrake the bob setting takes each field and constructs a full progressive frame. I don't know if it uses neighboring frames to do the re-construction. I think this is a lot better than attempting to blend the interlacing out, since this loses information. I have had bob generate good results if the original source had not been messed with. The bob setting doubles the frame rate though, since you get a full frame for each field. Handbrake can also reverse 3:2 pulldown (telecine). This is interlacing to create intermediate frames when converting between different frame rates. I don't know if it supports reversing anything other than 24 to 30 fps conversions. It allows you to restore the original frame rate and remove interlacing artifacts.