Podcast #336 - GTX 960 Overlocking, Plextor M6e Black Edition, AMD R9 3xx Rumors and more!

Subject: General Tech | February 12, 2015 - 01:46 PM |
Tagged: podcast, video, gtx 960, plextor, m6e black edition, M6e, r9 390, amd, radeon, nvidia, Silverstone, tegra, tx1, Tegra X1, corsair, H100i GTX, H80i GT

PC Perspective Podcast #336 - 02/12/2015

Join us this week as we discuss GTX 960 Overlocking, Plextor M6e Black Edition, AMD R9 3xx Rumors and more!

You can subscribe to us through iTunes and you can still access it directly through the RSS page HERE.

The URL for the podcast is: http://pcper.com/podcast - Share with your friends!

• iTunes - Subscribe to the podcast directly through the iTunes Store
  • RSS - Subscribe through your regular RSS reader
  • MP3 - Direct download link to the MP3 file

Hosts: Ryan Shrout, Jeremy Hellstrom, Josh Walrath, and Allyn Malventano

Subscribe to the PC Perspective YouTube Channel for more videos, reviews and podcasts!!

Video News

February 12, 2015 | 08:11 PM - Posted by MarkT (not verified)

Arc welding with a psu would break the nerd internet, please do, you must....you must.

February 12, 2015 | 08:42 PM - Posted by fade2blac

WRT to theoretical limits of a standard wall outlet/circuit and PSU efficiency...

A typical 3-prong US power outlet is a NEMA 5-15 configuration which is basically rated for UP TO 15A @125V. However, most IEC-type power cords are lighter gauge wire and not rated for more than 10A. I would guess that these monster power supplies come with heavier gauge power cords that can handle up to 15A. If one needs more than 15A, then the power cord would come with a NEMA 5-20P plug on the end which is rated for up to 20A.

15A*125V=1875W Max available A/C power on a 15A circuit

So if a PSU can put out 1600W, then it needs to be at least 85.33% efficient. However, actual A/C voltage is more like 118-122V. So more realistically a PSU would need to be ~90%+ efficient to hit a max theoretical 1600W output without tripping your 15A breaker...of course only as long as you plug everything else into outlets a different circuit.

February 15, 2015 | 08:56 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Great comment, thanks!

February 13, 2015 | 04:12 AM - Posted by cherniq (not verified)

You were fun an neutral in your opinion. But not anymore ..... so sad to see you jump on a hipe trains for one company and for the other the new tech is "mech"....
That's my opinion and how I see you content lately.

February 13, 2015 | 09:09 AM - Posted by Josh Walrath

Throw me an example of great tech vs. meh that we talked about?  Just curious as to what exactly you are referring to?

February 13, 2015 | 01:09 PM - Posted by dtearth

Good show guys but can someone please take Ryan's phone away from him during the podcast... Spin, spin, spinning... :P

February 13, 2015 | 05:21 PM - Posted by collie

The Main site was down, he was waiting for info. (DDoS I think)

February 13, 2015 | 05:37 PM - Posted by collie

Also I now find I watch the show live, I love the show live, I drink during the show, we have some GREAT chats in the chat-room, and yet the next day, every time, I download the audio on my phone, and I am shocked at how little I've actualy heard. I remember the topics, I remember the jokes, but all the info is gone into the ether. I love it. Thankfully, audio only and it locks right in.

Cheers!

February 13, 2015 | 06:15 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I still don't like interposer used to refer to a pcb adapter card. Terminology is going to get very confusing with HBM (high bandwidth memory) and HMC (hybrid memory cube) technology. I have worked at tech companies before and they often have internal terminology that is totally different from other companies, even if they are talking about almost exactly the same thing. When that terminology leaks out into the public, it just causes a confusing mess.

February 14, 2015 | 03:33 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

It's mostly marketing's fault, take the generic computing science term HSA, look what AMD marketing monkeys did with that, now all the slack jaws are associating HSA with AMD, and HSA has been around for decades, it's just means the ability to uses different computing systems GPUs, and CPUs, and others, for any and all compute tasks. GPUs for general propose compute, and CPUs for graphics tasks, hell what we now call GPUs is in fact nothing more that a specialized vector processors. hUMA(Marketing term), is just UMA, The first supercomputers utilized vector processors, as well as general purpose CPUs. AMD and The HSA foundation, and the other members, are just trying to create an Industry standard implementation so all computing can benefit from a standard set of APIs, and VM abstraction layers, to allow a standardized way of HSA compute, AMD by no means invented the concepts for HSA, those have been around for a long time.

You should become more accustomed to computing science terminology becoming bastardized, how much online debate was there when phone processors went from 32, to 64 bit data buses and standard register sizes, with all the debate centering around memory addressing, and a computers' data bus width and standard register size(machine word) has very little to do with memory addressing, in fact it is the address BUS size(width) that determines how much RAM memory a computer can directly address(without the help of specialized virtual memory hardware). The only thing that the computer's data bus and standard machine word size(32 bit, or 64 bit) has to do with addressing is the imbedded address offsets, in machine language instructions, where the machine language instruction has an address imbedded in the instruction, and uses that address as a direct address/offset address for load/store, or branching, then a 64 bit instruction can store a larger offset, but still that address/offset still has to be sent over the address bus to directly address RAM. There is very little general computer science understanding among the consumer market, including a good part of the so called technical press.

February 14, 2015 | 05:33 PM - Posted by ciddotech

Time to combine Besige with 970 issues....

February 15, 2015 | 08:58 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Lol

February 20, 2015 | 12:51 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I am officially taking back anything bad I said about AMD cards...finally uninstalled all old drivers/Catalyst software and installed from scratch using their AutoDetect.
My 5850 has been working PERFECTLY...for 3 days ant how.

February 20, 2015 | 12:51 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

My 5850 has been working PERFECTLY...for 3 days ant how.