Podcast #326 - Intel's Core M 5Y70, Assassin's Creed Unity, Intel P3500 and more!

Subject: General Tech | November 13, 2014 - 03:19 PM |
Tagged: podcast, video, Intel, core m, core m 5y70, Broadwell, broadwell-y, Lenovo, yoga 2 pro, yoga 3 pro, assasins creed unity, ubisoft, farcry 4, p3500, gskill blade

PC Perspective Podcast #326 - 11/13/2014

Join us this week as we discuss Intel's Core M 5Y70, Assassin's Creed Unity, Intel P3500 and more!

You can subscribe to us through iTunes and you can still access it directly through the RSS page HERE.

The URL for the podcast is: http://pcper.com/podcast - Share with your friends!

• iTunes - Subscribe to the podcast directly through the iTunes Store
  • RSS - Subscribe through your regular RSS reader
  • MP3 - Direct download link to the MP3 file

Hosts: Ryan Shrout, Jeremy Hellstrom, Josh Walrath, and Allyn Malventano

Subscribe to the PC Perspective YouTube Channel for more videos, reviews and podcasts!!

Video News

November 14, 2014 | 12:28 AM - Posted by Airbrushkid (not verified)

Hello Allyn,
Have you heard anything about a bios update that will let you boot from the DC P3500 for Asus motherboards?

November 17, 2014 | 04:26 PM - Posted by Allyn Malventano

You should be able to boot from these, so long as there is UEFI boot support in the BIOS.

November 14, 2014 | 11:19 AM - Posted by larsoncc

I posted this on the Broadwell evaluation page, but I'm really unpleasantly surprised about the performance of the new Broadwell parts in the Lenovo unit, especially relative to the earlier, directly comparable Haswell part.

Using my own device, which uses the predecessor to the new Core M (the i5 4210Y), I performed a similar test. I tested on battery using the most recent Intel HD drivers, with a Dell Venue Pro 11, running an i5 4210Y. The Haswell tablet gets 27k on Ice Storm Unlimited (http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/4712367?). I can run other tests if anyone is interested.

While the TDP of this chip is much higher at 11W, the SDP calls for usage of the chip at 6W, so within a similar range to the Broadwell chip. The frequencies of the chip are similar, but the Broadwell graphics core should be stronger.

On battery, I'd expect the designs to perform similarly, but they don't. What it looks like to me - we're paying a pretty heavy performance penalty for slightly better efficiency. My device is still a tablet, still small, and has decent battery life. Given early results, I'm glad I jumped in when I did.

November 14, 2014 | 01:33 PM - Posted by YTech

Mailing list, notifications are sometimes 1 hours before [...] and sometimes it's 24 hours before :P The chat is aware of my odd excited show-up. (It helps to read the whole message "for tomorrow")

Nice info about the SSD. Looks like I will have better performance with the SATAIII version than the PCIe version. If I understand correctly, those who would gain performance would be for production workstation (Rendering, Photoshop, Design, Video Editing, Large data requirements, etc.).

AC: Unity - From the live event, I saw an NPC walk on the wall. I am sure if you kept playing live, we'd see some more.

Happy to learn the website issue has been resolved :)

November 15, 2014 | 04:02 PM - Posted by onion uk (not verified)

on ac unity, i think mabee wreck it ralph may have got in the game?

December 4, 2014 | 01:24 PM - Posted by Shambles (not verified)

The major difference between Crysis (1 at least) and the new AC is that even when Crysis first came out you could simply turn down the visual settings and be fine, even on low end hardware. People were complaining because their $3,000 gaming rigs couldn't turn everything all the way up. (Which is exactly how things should be). Whereas AC seems to be set on PC to not even run well on low settings while at the same time working reasonably well on consoles that have a fraction of the horse power of even a moderate gaming PC. I haven't got my hands on AC yet so I'll keep an open mind but from what everyone is saying it sounds like a pretty bad job of either optimization, or more likely, they don't care much about the PC audience and can't even be bothered to provide visual options that actually allow older hardware to have a smooth gameplay experience.

Anandtech reports that 1080P on medium settings even on a GTX 980 only hits 61.3 fps average while a GPU like the R9 280 which is a lot closer to what most people actully have is averaging 30fps. I wish they had some benchmarks on low. If low looks decent and older-ish GPUs can run it at 60 fps that wouldn't be all that bad.