PSA: Get An Additional 2GB of Free Google Drive Storage by Securing Your Account

Subject: General Tech | February 12, 2016 - 09:56 PM |
Tagged: google drive, google, cloud storage

In honor of Safer Internet Day, Google is offering up 2GB of additional Google Drive storage space for free to users that run a security checkup on their accounts through this Google tool.

Google will ask you to go through several steps to secure your Google account and verify your information. You will need to confirm your account recovery information and connected devices. The tool will also show you what applications and services have access to your Google account (for me it was only Chrome and Target's Cartwheel app). Further, it will ask you to set up 2-factor authentication and confirm that you still want to leave the listed app passwords active (app passwords are randomly generated passwords used in apps that do not support 2-factor authentication, such as Thunderbird).

After stepping through the security checklist, you will find an addtional 2GB of storage space in your Drive account. Note that native Google Docs do not count against your space, but uploaded copies of things like Excel spreadsheets and Word documents kept in those formats do. Get the free space while it's still being offered!

Also, I hope that you have already locked in your OneDrive storage space as well!

Source: Google

February 13, 2016 | 11:03 AM - Posted by flippityfloppit...

Safer Internet Day really seems like a greeting card-esque creation.

February 13, 2016 | 04:08 PM - Posted by edwinjamesmiller36

"Open your checking account now and get a FREE toaster!"

February 13, 2016 | 04:17 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

all while they read your data and give the NSA access.

February 13, 2016 | 08:47 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

More like give them more personal data and access to more data to get something useless in the long run. We need more regulations about what/how these companies collect data, and they need to be open about who has the user data. then again it will never happen.

February 13, 2016 | 08:55 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

the NSA has already compromised linux in systemd.

February 14, 2016 | 07:50 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Don't you dare speak ill of systemdicks.

February 15, 2016 | 10:58 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

systemd

send the linux trolls back into hiding.

February 14, 2016 | 12:26 PM - Posted by Shambles (not verified)

Did not work for me. *shrug*

February 14, 2016 | 03:11 PM - Posted by djotter

Me neither.

February 14, 2016 | 07:44 PM - Posted by Tim Verry

Hmm I just tried it with my other Google account (personal google apps account but that shouldnt make a difference) and it did not give me the extra space :-/. Google may have rescined the offer. I was able to do it a couple days aIgo and it worked for my main google account.

February 14, 2016 | 07:04 PM - Posted by dj dancers pukey (not verified)

Me neither

February 21, 2016 | 10:28 AM - Posted by Lonnie McClure (not verified)

It worked for me on my personal account. I'm now showing 19GB total storage (as I also took advantage of this 2GB bonus the last time it was offered).