Oh the things you see in VR presentations; the RX 460 for instance

Subject: General Tech | July 21, 2016 - 01:02 PM |
Tagged: rx 460, polaris 11, oculus rift, amd

TechARP spotting something unexpected at the Radeon RX 480 launch in Malaysia, a Radeon RX 460.  One suspects that the picture below does not represent its final form but it does give you an idea of the dimensions and the outputs which seem to include DVI, DP and HDMI.  TechARP were given some of the specs of this AMD Polaris 11 GPU based card, 14 Compute Units, 2 GB of GDDR5 memory on a 128-bit memory bus.

The biggest takeaway is what AMD was doing with it, this was powering an Oculus Rift VR demo so it is safe to say this card meets at least the minimum specs for the headset.  Drop by for more pictures and a video.

"We just stumbled upon an actual Radeon RX 460 graphics card. AMD was using it to power a virtual reality demo on an Oculus VR headset. That was our first encounter with the Radeon RX 460, so we had to take off the perspex cover to take a closer look!"

Here is some more Tech News from around the web:

Tech Talk

July 21, 2016 | 01:30 PM - Posted by BrightCandle (not verified)

That makes no sense, its well below the minimum spec for the Rift's defined acceptable cards. The RX 480 is at the minimum, the RX 460 is not going to perform the same as an RX 480 and hence there is no chance that it will be acceptable for VR.

July 21, 2016 | 01:52 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

And yet, there it is, running VR.

July 21, 2016 | 01:56 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

any card can run vr, just like any card can run 4k.... doesn't mean it's running it well

July 21, 2016 | 04:53 PM - Posted by taisserrootseasyaccount (not verified)

Almost any card can run 4k video. Not every card can game in it. It all depends on what you want to do

July 21, 2016 | 06:29 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

thanks for repeating what i said

August 16, 2016 | 01:48 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Actually the minimum says an r9 290

July 21, 2016 | 02:40 PM - Posted by JohnGR

Valve was thinking to lower VR requirements to 45fps. RX 460 will be able to offer more than that easily, if I take in consideration my HD 7850's performance(after overclocking it). I am getting about 30-40% under 90fps in SteamVR benchmark, and I expect RX 460 to offer close to my card's performance, probably a little higher. So, 45fps will be an easy task for RX 460 and be able to support VR with newer, lower minimum requirements.

July 22, 2016 | 09:20 AM - Posted by BrightCandle (not verified)

Do you have a HMD?

I do and in the rare circumstance I get frame rate drops below 90 fps I physically feel sick in a few seconds. It causes nausea very rapidly.

The VR factors we have today as the minimum, 90 hz and a latency below 20ms are not optional unless you like loosing your lunch. Its not a VR capable card.

July 25, 2016 | 07:50 AM - Posted by ET3D (not verified)

I have a mobile VR headset. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have these figures (playing on a Galaxy S4). Haven't felt sick playing anything, and neither did my kids.

October 13, 2016 | 06:00 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I have run the SteamVR performance benchmark on my RX 460 and roughly 20% of the frames were shown below 90FPS

July 30, 2017 | 11:44 PM - Posted by PublicPotato (not verified)

Yeah, mine too. Sometimes I feel like the tests arent as accurate as it would be actually running a headset. I think the results will vary a bunch

July 30, 2017 | 11:44 PM - Posted by PublicPotato (not verified)

July 21, 2016 | 02:42 PM - Posted by zer0sum (not verified)

Most gen 1 VR games are well, not that impressive looking. Im talking like Job Simulator, or Super Hot VR. Im sure the 460, or even an older 780Ti could run those in VR 30+ FPS

July 21, 2016 | 02:49 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I'm sure it's gaming chops will be fine for the price - this is their $99 GPU, right? I'm more interested in it as a HTPC card.

July 21, 2016 | 04:57 PM - Posted by taisserrootseasyaccount (not verified)

Single slot card on the way?

July 22, 2016 | 07:16 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

dimensions?Especially i wanna use that into slim case so height is necessary factor for me! :)

July 22, 2016 | 10:59 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Clearly not a low profile card, but if your case holds a standard height card this will probably fit.