Microsoft Now Supports Original Xbox Games On Xbox One

Subject: General Tech | October 25, 2017 - 08:33 PM |
Tagged: xbox one x, xbox one s, xbox one, xbox, upscaling, gaming, console, backwards compatible

Microsoft is adding original Xbox games to its backwards compatibility program with 13 games available now with more on the way in spring of next year. Xbox One, Xbox One S, and Xbox One X owners will soon be able to play a curated selection of original Xbox games at higher resolutions and with improved color details.

Microsoft claims that original Xbox games will run with up to four times the pixel count on Xbox One (and One S) and up to 16 times the pixels on Xbox One X. Gamers will be able to use their original Xbox game disc to play or they can purchase the older titles in digital form from the Microsoft Store. Original features like co-op and System Link will work, but there is no Xbox Live service support which means online multiplayer will not work. Further, Microsoft notes that players will not earn any achievements when playing original Xbox games.

The first batch of original Xbox games includes:

1. BLACK
  2. BloodRayne 2
  3. Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
  4. Dead to Rights
  5. Fuzion Frenzy
  6. Grabbled by the Ghoulies
  7. King of Fighters Neowave
  8. Ninja Gaiden Black
  9. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
  10. Psychonauts
  11. Red Faction II
  12. Sid Meier's Pirates!
  13. KOTOR (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic)

While I have not played most of those games, I played a ton of Red Faction II with my brother, and fondly remember KOTOR on the PC. The video above shows a comparison between the original KOTOR running on Xbox and the backwards compatible enhanced version of the game running on Xbox One, and the visual difference is impressive (still not as good as it can look on the PC with mods though heh) with the game being significantly sharper with deeper colors (the original Xbox game looks extremely blurry and washed out by comparison).

It is a small list currently, but there are some gems on the launch list, and I am interested to see how the games look running on the Xbox One X. Hopefully the frame rates and loading times can also be improved ;-). As an added bonus Microsoft also pointed out that Xbox Game Pass members can grab Ninja Gaiden Black for free.

Microsoft claims that gamers have spent 700 million hours playing the 400 backwards compatible Xbox 360 games on the Xbox One. There is certainly interest and it seems Microsoft is watching the numbers carefully which will be important for gamers in getting the Redmond-based company to continue adding support for additional classics.

Also read:

Source: Microsoft

October 25, 2017 | 10:07 PM - Posted by CNote

Crimson Skies and KOTOR... both games I've gone out of my way to beat, again, years after it came out on my Xbox 360.

October 26, 2017 | 09:08 PM - Posted by Tim Verry

You know, I loved KOTOR, but KOTOR II just never holds my interest like the first game. I made it pretty far (according to my brother who has played all the way through and beaten it) but then life happened and I just never felt like going back to it, and at this point I don't even remember anything about where I am and what the hell I'm supposed to be doing at the point in the game so I might as well start all the way over... and ugh lol.

October 26, 2017 | 12:51 AM - Posted by Jgr9 (not verified)

And while Sony still makes me sad....

Had a lengthy period lately of 101% Crash Team Racing on PC, which looks incredibly clean at higher rendering resolutions. Now currently I'm finishing up completing Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 on PC as well. A couple of my all-time old favorite games.

October 26, 2017 | 06:30 AM - Posted by Anonymouse (not verified)

Black! I could almost justify an Xbox 1 X just for the closest thing we're likely to see to a 'HD remaster' of Black.

October 26, 2017 | 09:58 AM - Posted by remc86007

Anybody know if Pirates is good on console? I probably have 300 hours in the PC version.

October 28, 2017 | 08:29 PM - Posted by Anonymous55t6ycdf (not verified)

Otogi: Myth of demons please...

October 28, 2017 | 08:36 PM - Posted by Uuggg (not verified)

Please put spongebob battle of bikini bottom