Microsoft Cancels February's Monthly Cumulative Update

Subject: General Tech | February 17, 2017 - 07:01 AM |
Tagged: windows 10, microsoft

Don’t worry if you didn’t receive cumulative Windows Updates this month.

At first, Microsoft showed no love for Valentine’s Day when they delayed the update that was supposed to roll out to the public. No explanation was provided. Two days later, Microsoft decided to write off the whole month. Everything that has been fixed since January 10th will be delayed until March 14th.

This is quite the wait. Peter Bright of Ars Technica notes that “off-cycle updates are also unpopular”. Yes, IT professionals hate it when software vendors are difficult to schedule around. I’m not sure how much that had to do with this decision, though. On the one hand, when a new build launches to the public, it’s not uncommon to have an update (or more) per week over the first couple of months. On the other hand, it would be reasonable for Microsoft to assume that customers, those who carefully test patches before deploying them, would not have ingested a huge, nebulous feature release into their network just weeks after launch. Still, out-of-band updates happen, and it’s interesting that it didn’t happen in this circumstance.

One thing that this patch should have fixed, however, is delayed or clipped display output in games (and other 3D applications) on multi-monitor systems. While not as critical as security, it is probably annoying for anyone affected to need to wait another 28 days. Microsoft claims it will be fixed then, though.

Source: Microsoft

February 17, 2017 | 09:57 AM - Posted by Master Chen (not verified)

AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!11
Buuuuuuuuuusted!

February 17, 2017 | 10:34 AM - Posted by drbaltazar (not verified)

Rofl! This fesl like deja vu. WHAT YOU DIDNT PLAN ANYTHING TODAY? BUT ITS VALENTINE DAY! OUPS SORRY . WE LL DO BETTER NEXT MONTH

February 17, 2017 | 11:06 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

See what bundling all the security updates as one big Hair ball has caused M$! And now there is one big un-patched zero day that still has no fix. This even affects windows 7 and 8.1 users as that windows 10 one big hair ball of updates madness has been back-ported to 7 and 8.1 in a similar way! So under the old update system patches where packaged in individual units so that if one update had problems the offending update could be blocked and the others that had no problems could still be applied. But under this new approach the whole chalupa gets tossed for one bad bean.

February 17, 2017 | 01:50 PM - Posted by djotter

Just in time for Steak and BJ day :)

February 17, 2017 | 02:31 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

On now with the disruptive ads the scroll the screen down while users are trying to read. PCPer is getting as bad as ZDNet for the ads ruining the reading experience! YOU ARE BETTER THAN THAT PCPer! And Video ads at that!

February 17, 2017 | 03:56 PM - Posted by Scott Michaud

Are you talking about the little mailing list box at the top that pushes the site down ~50px on load, and the animated gif banners? If not, then that's not us.

Do you have a compromised extension? Is pcper.com properly loading under HTTPS?

February 17, 2017 | 04:29 PM - Posted by edwinjamesmiller36

I also got an ad from Boston Furniture between the story and the start of comments. The page loads and then a couple of seconds later the ad appears, causing me to scroll to recenter on the comments. When I opened a second one, I got an ad for McCafe. Both were video ads, but luckly do not play unless you click on them. In the upper right hand corner it says "powered by" and has a four-colored diamond. Clicking on this opens up a new page for "Viralgains". I am using Windows 10, Firefox 51.0.1 as my browser, and the only extensions installed are Lastpass and Norton Security Toolbar.

I only posted this because I do not remember ads like this here before.

February 17, 2017 | 04:44 PM - Posted by Scott Michaud

Weird. I've *never* seen those, so it's probably coming from somewhere between our main server and your PC, but I've notified Ryan.

I am curious whether you're correctly seeing pcper.com under HTTPS (rather that HTTP).

February 17, 2017 | 04:58 PM - Posted by edwinjamesmiller36

I went back and checked a number of comment sections in earlier stories and it was hit or miss whether the ad appears. There may be a correlation between the number of comments and the chance of seeing this ad [more comments, better chance of ad]. Also, every time it was one of those two ads; Boston Furniture and McDonald's McCafe. Have not and will not click on the ad to play the video, if for no other reason I don't trust something that calls itself ViralGains.

February 18, 2017 | 12:47 AM - Posted by Tim Verry

Very strange, Ryan is going to look into it. I've never seen those ads on my end but thanks for letting us know as they sound extremely annoying (it seriously auto-scrolls the page past the story to a video ad? yikes hah) and that's not what we are about.

February 18, 2017 | 11:26 AM - Posted by edwinjamesmiller36

Sat morning now and I checked around 5 stories and did not see any of these ads. Normally I'll click on the comments link to open in a new page and the browser will jump to the first comment. Yesterday when these ads appeared they would appear between the bottom of the story and the comments, which I found slightly annoying. Only had one time where video actually started playing which is extremely annoying. But, like I started with, I've seen no odd behavior today.

February 17, 2017 | 06:11 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

That's the same ad this above post is talking about, that furniture video ad. And lately some ads have been hanging up PCPer page loads and making the navigation around the PCPer website terrible.

All web-pages should have place-keeper ad panels that load right away if the ad servers are slow in pushing the ads to the page. Something to stop the web ads from interfering with a websites page loads. The place-keeper panel could say "LOADING" and have no ad script execution until the page fully loads with the page text not interfered with and people able to read in peace.

I say ban all web ad animations and only load single ad images because that managed/scripted Ad nonsense is what is causing folks to use ad blockers.

February 17, 2017 | 06:18 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Just now again after composing the above post that Boston interiors ad comes up and auto scrolls its nasy ad video in that in your face manner! It's like sometime is load right away and other time it load after some time but its very annoying! Maybe the PCPer web server has an adware infection!