Logitech Is Bringing Back the Beloved MX518 Gaming Mouse

Subject: General Tech | February 19, 2019 - 11:05 AM |
Tagged: mx518, logitech g, logitech, gaming mouse

Logitech today announced the rebirth of one of its most popular and beloved products, the MX518 Gaming Mouse. First released nearly fourteen years ago, the MX518 received rave reviews from the tech press and users alike for its comfortable shape, well-positioned customizable buttons, and high-precision sensor with on-the-fly DPI toggling. The company has since released dozens of additional gaming mice models, but fans of the MX518 have long been relegated to paying inflated prices for used stock on eBay if they wanted to get their hands on a replacement.

Now, after a not-so-quiet launch in Asia late last year, Logitech is relaunching the MX518 in Western markets. The company cites the ongoing chorus of user requests to "bring back the MX518" as the reason for the device's revival, and Logitech says that this re-released version is crafted from the original designs with the same shape and feel.

"As one of the most-beloved gaming mice ever, MX518 has inspired legions of fans around the world to ask Logitech G to bring it out of retirement. And we heard you. We pulled the original tools from the Vault and meticulously restored them -- right down to the original glossy keyplate. It's the classic, comfortable shape you know and love, now with modern components that perform to today's advanced standards and a new, updated Nightfall color scheme."

But just because the MX518's exterior remains the same doesn't mean that the mouse's internals can't be updated to take advantage of almost fifteen years of technological advancements. Logitech is therefore packing the "very latest, next-generation technologies" into the new MX518, including a HERO 16K sensor and a 32-bit ARM processor that gives the new mouse a 1ms report rate. Like Logitech's other gaming products, users will be able to store button layouts and custom DPI settings to the mouse's onboard memory so it will always perform and operate the way you want even when connected to PCs not running Logitech's Gaming Software.

Check out the full list of specifications below and head over to Logitech's Gaming site to pre-order the MX518 for $59.99. Shipping date has yet to be announced but considering that the product is already on the market in China, it shouldn't be too long a wait for longtime Logitech fans on this side of the globe to get their fix.

PHYSICAL SPECIFICATIONS

• Height: 131 mm
  • Width: 73 mm
  • Depth: 43 mm
  • Weight: 101 g mouse only
  • Cable length: ~ 2.10 m

TRACKING

• Sensor: HERO™ 16K
  • Resolution: 100 – 16,000 DPI
  • Zero smoothing/acceleration/filtering
  • Max. acceleration: > 40 G
  • Max. speed: > 400 IPS

RESPONSIVENESS

• USB data format: 16 bits/axis
  • USB report rate: 1000 Hz (1ms)
  • Microprocessor: 32-bit ARM

DURABILITY

• PTFE Feet: > 250 kilometers

OTHER FEATURES

• Onboard memory: 5 profiles
  • Lightweight, flexible cable

REQUIREMENTS

• Windows® 7 or later
  • macOS® 10.11 or later
  • USB port
  • Internet access for Logitech Gaming Software (optional)

PART NUMBER

• 910-005542

WARRANTY INFORMATION

• 2 - Year Warranty
Source: Logitech G

Video News

February 19, 2019 | 11:30 AM - Posted by Anonymouse (not verified)

I was a long-time fan of the MX500/MX518/G5/G400 shape, but won't be getting this.

Logitech's G403 improved on it in so many ways, with larger side buttons and a wider, easier to click, middle button.

February 19, 2019 | 11:56 AM - Posted by DanWally

I had 2 MX518s but wasn't desperate enough to go the used/ebay route when the last one died. I've grown to like my G502, but I will probably buy a new one for old times sake.

February 19, 2019 | 12:04 PM - Posted by razor512

I just wish they would bring back the G510 keyboard but with mechanical keys.

February 19, 2019 | 12:41 PM - Posted by ajeba99 (not verified)

YES! This is totally wizard!

February 19, 2019 | 01:11 PM - Posted by Subsailor

Bring back the Trackman Wheel Optical and I'll be very happy!
The MX570 isn't as good, MX ergo totally sucks.

February 19, 2019 | 01:14 PM - Posted by Geforcepat (not verified)

now if we could only get them to release the the g5 and g9. especially for sure the g9.

February 19, 2019 | 01:43 PM - Posted by maonayze

I still have my MX518 and it still works. Fantastic Mouse. I also love my G502. I hope it lasts as long as the 518. :-)

February 19, 2019 | 02:35 PM - Posted by Jeremy Hellstrom

I JUST picked up a G502 because I didn't like the Steelseries Sensei I bought to replace my MX518 because the right button died and I suck at soldering.

Now they release a new 518!!?  I R MAD

February 20, 2019 | 12:47 PM - Posted by Bullseye2267

Yep, bring back the MX518. Best mouse I have ever owned. Now, if they would bring back the G110 keyboard I'd be all set.

February 20, 2019 | 02:23 PM - Posted by Rocky1234 (not verified)

Yep a great keyboard for sure I still use a G110 Logitech keyboard and it has served me well over the years. If they were to bring it back I am going to assume they would probably put addressable RGB in it and upgrade the keys. I personally do not car about the RGB I like the static color on mine that I can change the color to whatever I like.

February 25, 2019 | 02:02 PM - Posted by WayneJetSki

I like the MX518 but I wish there was a mouse that was like 30-40 percent bigger. (I have big hands)