Logitech G Intelligent Illumination Shown Using Battlefield Hardline

Subject: General Tech | April 14, 2015 - 08:28 PM |
Tagged: logitech g, logitech, gaming keyboard, gaming, battlefield hardline

Logitech has created an SDK to bring a new concept to PC gaming: in-game illumination integration with G series gaming peripherals. Logitech is calling this "Intelligent Illumination", and they have created a video to show off the new tech from their work with EA on Battlefield Hardline.

Switching sides in the game alternates the keyboard color, and the lights blink when taking damage. It's certainly a novel concept, and in this instance adds additional user feedback by taking advantage of the RGB color capabilities of a modern gaming keyboard (this is the G910 Orion Spark). The possibilities seem endless, but a simple idea like context-specific keyboard mapping through custom illumination would make the controls for some games much easier to learn.

Source: Logitech

April 14, 2015 | 09:10 PM - Posted by ciddotech

I saw a gif on 9gag where someone was playing GTA V and when he gained a wanted level the number keys on the top started flashing red and blue.

April 15, 2015 | 01:05 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I think if your have led's on your gfx card too, they should change color to let you know you don't know what a gimmick is.

April 15, 2015 | 05:17 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

This is great for when you don't want to be looking at your monitor while gaming.
The future is now.

April 15, 2015 | 07:40 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

This.

April 15, 2015 | 07:24 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Well I have an Alienware Mx11 which is like 5 years old now and I remember that some games already has stuff like that back then.
So its nothing special to me.

I would think it would be way cooler if they would give you all the information to program stuff on you own! Instead of just giving you a crapy framework with some gamery looking UI.

April 15, 2015 | 08:50 AM - Posted by Martin Trautvetter

Can't wait for them to implement more content-aware lighting patterns, like flashing the parachute button when you're falling to your death, or highlighting the crouch button when in use.

Still not particularly useful, but visually more interesting. Much like RGB-keyboards in general.

April 15, 2015 | 09:27 AM - Posted by collie

My first instinct is "This is stupid." but I duno now..... I recently got a logitech g302 mouse. I expected to just turn the blue leds off, but I actualy LOVE the slow pulsating blue. It's calming, it's pretty and it draws more attention to my gaming rig. As I get older I am more in the mind set that a pretty gal deserves a pretty bow. So long as the effect isn't distracting. I supose I'd have to try it.

There is another factor here too, I have a magician friend (he's terrible in practice but knows every theory and technique under the sun, he makes money by selling tricks to better performers) and he has gone on at length about how colored lights can be used to manipulate the human mind, how just the right shades of red light in the peripheral can make it almost impossible to focus, and how certain blue's can force short term memorization, if you move 2 objects at the same speed the red one will seem way faster than anything green, lotsa stuff like that. I wonder if this little gimmick could actually accidentally improve/hinder gaming without anyone every noticing why.

On this note, I keep wondering when we will see the "Force Feed Back" keyboard, vibrating off the table and keeping buttons shaking away from the fingers. or a high dpi vibrating mouse, dont even have to explain the problem with that one. It's a bad idea, but I know there is some manufacturer out there who thinks it's a good idea, and at least one schmuck who will buy one.

April 15, 2015 | 01:07 PM - Posted by collie

One more coment from the peanut gallery, my wife loves to game, certain games anyways, but often looses the button layout, even on a controller. In the same way that color codeing and standardizing the Xbone controller has made gaming more fun and easier for casual players like her, having "R" flash on the keyboard when ammo is low, having the "Action button" go bright when you are doing a hit the key animation, changing layouts as gameplay changes, directly mapped out configurations for various games, that could make things more fun for a larger audience.

April 15, 2015 | 11:42 AM - Posted by Ophelos

This is only new to Logitech. Roccat been doing this for years with keyboards and mice.

April 15, 2015 | 12:34 PM - Posted by Lord Binky (not verified)

I could this being useful for lots of stuff. Vary the color based on the mech's heat in MechWarrior online. Dim the keyboard when sneaking in Thief.

Actually, light intensity and blue are all you're eyes are really picking up from peripheral vision though. But stable things like team color is something you can spare a quick glance for to make use of the various keyboard colors.

April 17, 2015 | 08:22 AM - Posted by collie

tiny edit to your comment, brightness and blue are what we are AWARE of in the peripheral, the eye takes in shit-loads of light that is not translated into "Vision" and, it's theorized anyways, that light can have various affects to the human mind.

I like the Mech heat/keyboard interaction idea, there are soooooooo many usefull ideas for this kinda thing.