Just Picked Up: Google Chromecast Ultra

Subject: General Tech, Mobile | January 20, 2017 - 07:39 AM |
Tagged: google, chromecast ultra, chromecast

One of the disadvantages of the ZTE Axon 7, which a lot of other phones share, is that you cannot directly connect it to a TV over HDMI via MHL. Granted, it’s a good screen and great speakers, so I can just pass the device around, but sometimes you want to show a video (or something) on the TV. As such, I was looking around at the Chromecast, but I heard a bunch of complaints that ranged from low frame rate to frequent stutters in some apps.

Then Google announced the Chromecast Ultra, which launched in November. I put my email address on the official waiting list and... haven’t heard a thing since. I also haven’t seen it in many stores. I then found out that the local Best Buy Mobile kiosk had it (yet the full store a few blocks away somehow did not???) Interestingly, when I arrived, they had several of them, and on sale for $20 off, too.

Upon bringing it home, it had a little difficulty connecting to my WiFi router. (The 5 GHz band was a little weak at that location.) Once that was resolved, though, it was a very pleasant experience. It played 1080p60 video from YouTube without any trouble, even switching to the correct input automatically with HDMI CEC (although I needed to manually change it back to the digital TV box when I was done).

I don’t have a 4K or HDR TV, though, so I cannot test its more advanced features. Sorry!

Source: Google

January 20, 2017 | 11:41 AM - Posted by CNote

Everytime I see one of those in the store I think it looks like ear muffs for Van Gogh.

January 20, 2017 | 11:24 PM - Posted by Stephen H (not verified)

Thank you sir, for making my day.

January 20, 2017 | 01:38 PM - Posted by John H (not verified)

Hmm is the 2nd gen regular Chromecast limited to 30 fps at 1080p?

January 20, 2017 | 03:15 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Right?

January 20, 2017 | 03:55 PM - Posted by Scott Michaud

I think the Chromecast 2 is supposed to, but people are saying that it doesn't work on YouTube and it stutters on Twitch. I haven't tried it myself, though. The Chromecast Ultra was announced days after I started researching the 2, so I waited.

January 21, 2017 | 05:54 PM - Posted by PATTY (not verified)

I have no problem what so ever I love the Chromcast so easy Roku isn't hard to get going. But I have a Samsung Galaxy 6 that's the difference between a i-phone Galaxy can do it all.

January 21, 2017 | 02:09 AM - Posted by Karim Sumar (not verified)

Could someone who HAS a 4K please let me know if you actually get 4K on YouTube. I have an old model 4K Samsung TV, but have never been able to view 4K demo of YouTube. It always goes to HD. I have 100mb broadband. Just wondering if Chromecast Ultra will do the trick and push the limits of resolution.

January 21, 2017 | 01:26 PM - Posted by stevv

Yes it works with YouTube videos. Though I could only get 4k (i don't have hdr) over Ethernet. (wifi w/ uap ac-pro in same room)

About a month ago YouTube 4K videos get stuck part way. Seems they fixed that.

January 21, 2017 | 09:39 AM - Posted by Lime (not verified)

No worries guys this google cast is working for me as I aspected with strem movies and everything and by the way the pictures quality is brilliant!!!

January 21, 2017 | 01:25 PM - Posted by stevv

Setting up was buggy for me too. My gen 1 and 2 Chromecast had no issues.

One thing for sure, Ethernet connection much better for heavy screen casting (tango phone) thinking of just sticking with gen 2 and adding Ethernet option.

January 21, 2017 | 05:57 PM - Posted by PATTY (not verified)

If u have dishes or directv use your remote for it go into your settings and set your picture size my Samsung is 4k 1 year old it automatically set's the picture size..

January 21, 2017 | 06:00 PM - Posted by PATTY (not verified)

If you're WiFi is a little weak Chromcast has WiFi built in it will help boost your signal also use can buy a WiFi booster.

January 22, 2017 | 03:40 PM - Posted by Rick Rodriguez (not verified)

We have two gen 1 chromecasts with the ethernet adapter and they are worth their weight in gold with older TVs. They work very well with ethernet and have no almost no issues. An annual reboot, maybe, is required, beyond that, solid.