Juicy Friday rumour; a mysterious Blackberry device running Android?
Subject: General Tech | June 12, 2015 - 12:39 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: Android, blackberry, google, rumour
Could this Reuters' story that Slashdot linked to possibly be correct? A phone with a physical keyboard using Blackberry hardware with an Android OS? The fact that you have been able to set up the Google Play store on BB10 devices for a while now is well known and lends credence to the rumour but it would represent a huge change for the long suffering smartphone company. Blackberry opened up BBM to all phones, which did not generate much interest and the company has also announced that it will make some of its proprietary security feature available to iOS, Android and Windows phones which makes their devices a little less unique. A slider style phone with a keyboard that is natively Android is interesting but just how likely is this to restore Blackberry as a player in this highly competitive market?
"BlackBerry is considering equipping an upcoming smartphone with Google Inc.'s Android software for the first time, an acknowledgement that its revamped line of devices has failed to win mass appeal, according to four sources familiar with the matter."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- AMD Fiji, HBM and product ‘rebadging’ @ Kitguru
- Windows 10: Microsoft offers devs a direct interface to anti-malware @ The Inquirer
- OpenSSL releases seven patches for seven vulns @ The Register
- Google's super-AI boffin, Bilderberg nobs, and a secret Austrian confab @ The Register
- 4 new twists that push the hacker attack on millions of US govt workers into WTF land @ The Register