Epic Games Releases Zen Garden Demo for WebAssembly

Subject: General Tech | March 13, 2017 - 08:02 PM |
Tagged: webassembly, ue4, mozilla, epic games

HTML5 was a compile target for Unreal Engine since Unreal Engine 3, but it was supposed to be a bigger push for Unreal Engine 4 then it has been. At the time, Mozilla was pushing for web browsers to be the main source of games. Thanks to Flash, users are even already accustomed to that use case; it’s just a matter of getting performance and functionality close enough to competing platforms, and supporting content that will show it off.

That brings us to Zen Garden. This demo was originally designed to show off the Metal API for iOS, but Epic has re-purposed it for the recently released web browser features, WebAssembly and WebGL 2.0. Personally, I find it slightly less impressive than the Firefox demo of Unreal Tournament 3 that I played at Mozilla Summit 2013, but it’s a promising example that big-name engines are taking Web standards seriously again. You don’t get much bigger than Unreal Engine 4.

So yeah... if you have Firefox 52, then play around with it. It’s free.

Source: Mozilla

Video News

March 14, 2017 | 03:04 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Why does the demo not allow for free camera movement? Is that to let it take advantage of caching stuff it's already rendered?

March 14, 2017 | 04:33 PM - Posted by Scott Michaud

Strongly doubt it. I'd expect that would be more effort to crowbar into Unreal Engine 4 than just letting the engine do its job. It's originally a touch demo for iOS, so I'm guessing it's a UI thing.

March 14, 2017 | 05:53 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Impressive. Even my iMac's ageing GTX 680MX was loafing along at 1440p. Makes me want to play SkyBlock Minecraft again..

July 14, 2017 | 08:42 AM - Posted by firagabird (not verified)

Running this on an i5-6400, RX 580, and a 120Hz monitor, and it's silky.

August 9, 2017 | 07:21 AM - Posted by Lubna (not verified)

I tried playing it on my mac and it just shut down it after start up? what can be the cause? something wrong with my Mac or this game?

I tried looking up for solutions and updates at www.newspakistan.tv and found a news update about it but nothing later.