Don't envy early NVMe adopters, turns out they are Windows 10's enemy

Subject: General Tech | May 11, 2018 - 02:07 PM |
Tagged: SM2260, ssd, pcie, NVMe, M.2 2280, M.2, Intel, 600p

Intel's 600p was on our review bench almost two years ago and offered a relatively inexpensive entry into NVMe drives.  It turns out that the Silicon Motion controller Intel used may have been a bit too proprietary as the Win10 April Update is not compatible with it.  According to The Register this is a known incompatibility caused by a fix to resolve previous issues with Samsung made NVMe SSDs.  They are working on a solution, with no release date announced as of yet.

"The issue is an unspecified "known incompatibility" between the operating system and the SSDs, which were launched in 2016. Both the 600p and Pro 6000p SSDs share the same SM2260 chipset and feature a PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 interface."

Here is some more Tech News from around the web:

Tech Talk

Source: The Register

May 11, 2018 | 02:41 PM - Posted by Jgr9 (not verified)

Microsoft knows what they're doing. They am good devs.

May 11, 2018 | 06:03 PM - Posted by BETAisTheWayOfLiveInRedmondTown (not verified)

Same Folks from Redmond turning Windows 10's users into eternal BETA testers!

Linux is looking more attractive with each passing day and more needs to be said about getting windows 7 working under some Linux Kernel Based Type 1 Hypervisor facility like KVM or Xen/other the closer its gets to 2020.

They'll never Candy Crush my will to retain full control over my PC/laptop hardware and now is the time to begin planning in earnest to install Windows 7 is a locked down KVM/Xen/Other Linux Kernal based Type 1 Hypervisor facility for all those that may still need something to use for any legacy applications that still will not work under Linux/Wine after 2020 arrives.

May 11, 2018 | 10:48 PM - Posted by nonymous (not verified)

Envy? I have only pity for win10 users.

May 11, 2018 | 10:49 PM - Posted by nonymous (not verified)

Envy? I have only pity for win10 users.

May 12, 2018 | 12:02 AM - Posted by Hakuren

Hmmm early adopters? By the time 600p hit the market there was fair whack of NVMe drives available.

I was dreading this 1803 update, well like any major update for Abomination10. Finally decided to try it after confirming that its 600p and not 750 which I use for caching purposes.

For the most part it went OKish. Had to change all the fonts to make them readable, reinstall printer driver, disable telemetry and all new 'features'. Only persisting idiocy - I have to change language preferences after each reboot in the tray; using English windows, but I need my local language characters for two terminals which are incompatible with unicode thingy. Yeah quality update... Download it just to disable everything, thanks but no thanks M$!

Oh for crying out loud PCPer, this stupid captcha crap, 5 minutes to confirm that I'm who I'm!?

May 14, 2018 | 12:15 AM - Posted by Hood

Misleading headline - one NVMe SSD is not working (yet), so avoid all NVMe SSDs?
I had no issues at all with Spring 2018 Update. Running Windows 10 1803 on Intel 750 NVMe AIC. I also use a Plextor M6e M.2 (PCIe 2.0x2) with no issues. In fact, I've never had any problems with Windows 10 or it's major updates, not since Threshold 1 , which had minor driver issues easily solved. Maybe I'm just lucky, I never have whatever hardware or software is causing the problems. I don't mind checking all my settings after major updates, and with 1803 they added more control over Windows Update, virus scan, and privacy settings, allowing almost everything to be blocked (if you believe MS). It's a hobby of mine to be (somewhat) in control of the expensive PC I built, and I do weekly maintenance tasks to keep it running smoothly. I love Windows 10, and it keeps getting better.

May 14, 2018 | 04:15 PM - Posted by Jeremy Hellstrom

Ah, no that was not what the headline was talking about, but I love your ability to read things into it..

May 14, 2018 | 08:48 AM - Posted by Psiboy (not verified)

I have Samsung and Crucial drives. No major issues with 1803 at all except turning of monitor during full screen movies... so for now I've just disabled the screen entering sleep. If you're afraid of each build then don't rush to get it and whine about it.. give it a month or so then download after the main bugs (if any) have been fixed!

May 14, 2018 | 04:23 PM - Posted by BillR (not verified)

So there is some HW bug in the controller that MSFT wants fixed because it causes them some grief. Linux has found a way around it and has moved on. But MSFT wants you to replace the HW that ran fine when it was new to run their OS. Got it.

May 14, 2018 | 06:00 PM - Posted by Jeremy Hellstrom

Intel is working on a fix for the fix, should be out soon.