Determining what it takes to join Battlefield Hardline

Subject: General Tech | April 1, 2015 - 08:12 PM |
Tagged: gaming, battlefield hardline

[H]ard|OCP has put together an exhaustive look at what you will need to play Battlefield Hardline, using both Mantle and D3D.  They tested 5 GPUs from each vendor including the Titan X as well as the GTX 980 and R9 290X in both single and dual GPU configurations.  The Mantle version appears to require some more optimization as it was outperformed by D3D 11 in testing, hopefully this will change over time.  At 1440p the Titan is unable to keep up with the GTX 980 SLI configuration and outperforms the Crossfired R9 290X setup, when they increased the resolution to 4k the Titan came out on top.  At release the game will support dual GPUs but as you can see in [H]'s testing the scaling is not as good as it could be, again this will hopefully be addressed over time.

"Battlefield Hardline has been released finally. We gather twelve video card comparisons and find out what you need to enjoy this game in multiplayer and campaign modes. We will look at multi-GPU scaling, D3D vs. Mantle, and VRAM usage to find out where the best money is spent to enjoy this new game."

Here is some more Tech News from around the web:

Gaming

Source: [H]ard|OCP

April 1, 2015 | 09:29 PM - Posted by Shortwave (not verified)

So basically, if you can play BF3/4 you're fine.
Unless you bought into ultra-HD this year.
Then.. Well. Right on, I guess.

Play it on a 720 screen with an APU if you want.

April 1, 2015 | 09:47 PM - Posted by KingKookaluke (not verified)

I played the Beta. Didn't really like the graphics, or the format of the game..I do like BF4. I run with 2 980's and the ROG Swift.
Good reporting Jeremy!

April 1, 2015 | 11:32 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

i still rock a 7970 on 1080 with game turned up to ultra, game hardly every dips below 60fps with mantle.

April 2, 2015 | 12:09 AM - Posted by Shortwave (not verified)

Nice, I find those for about a hundred bucks tradin' value these days. I recently struck gold and got x2 3gb 280x's for Shield Tablet. I'm good for a long while.

April 2, 2015 | 09:51 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I may be totally mistaken, but I was understanding that the shield tablet only works with Nvidia GFX cards and not AMD, so how are you getting the 280x's to stream to it?
And if I'm wrong, can you show me a link or two that shows otherwise?

April 3, 2015 | 07:14 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I think he's implying he traded the gpu's for the shield, or something. It's a confusing coment either way.

April 2, 2015 | 05:58 AM - Posted by Branthog

I just can't bring myself to spend another $60+$50 for a segregated BF4 with new maps that's going to be replaced by BF5 in a year, which I'll also not be able to bring myself to spend money on unless they've really cleaned up their act.

April 2, 2015 | 06:49 AM - Posted by trenter (not verified)

Also mention in the headline that the 290x performed identically with the gtx 980 under dx11 please.

April 2, 2015 | 11:38 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

but it didn't/;

April 2, 2015 | 10:28 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I feel bad for all the GTX960 owners that didn't wait for a 4GB version.

April 3, 2015 | 07:17 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

why?