DOOM Guy gets hot and bothered
Subject: General Tech | May 24, 2017 - 02:24 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: doom, gaming, hack, mod
It's the May Two-Four so you have probably turned down your furnace* and your thermostat has very little to do, so why not play a game of DOOM on it? Over at Hack a Day you can get a port of Chocolate DOOM which you can set up and run on a Honeywell Prestige thermostat. The colour may be better than the original but for now you will have to play it without sound, still it is impressive how far hardware has come, even in simple appliances.
*offer may not be valid in Wyoming
"In his video, [cz7asm] shows us the game running quite nicely on the 480 x 272 LCD with an NES controller plugged into the USB port originally intended for software updates. The thermostat runs on a STM32F429 which is an ARM9 processor that has the juice to pull it off."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Wot I Think: Endless Space 2 @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Ubisoft Spring Sale and more @ Humble Bundle
- Give me a hella yeah: more Life Is Strange coming @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Game On Bundle @ Humble Bundle
- Exo One channels Kubrick, Dear Esther and Carl Sagan @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN