Could Vega be just around the corner?
Subject: General Tech | April 26, 2017 - 02:32 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: amd, Vega, rumours
A Facebook post from AMD Poland has started rumours flying around the interwebs as the implication is we will see it arrive this quarter; though perhaps taking a Facebook post as a verified source may lead to disappointment. However, there is a bit more evidence than just the post which Digital Trends has displayed, we have seen CompuBench results of a mysterious AMD GPU which is very likely to be Vega. It will have 64 compute units which translates into 4096 stream processors unless something very strange is going on. The benchmarks also list two frequencies 1GHz and 1.2GHz which indicates computing performance of 8.2 TFLOPS and 9.8 TFLOPS respectively which puts it in the neighbourhood of the GTX 1080's 8.9 TFLOPS. That will not necessarily directly translate into gaming performance but does indicate that AMD has a nice surprise in store for us.
Don't forget to add a bit of salt to your rumour consumption and keep your eyes peeled for more information.
"Of course, it’s entirely possible that someone at AMD Poland spoke out of turn, and so this information should be considered unverified at this point. But there’s other information that seems to confirm an imminent release, such as a Vega GPU showing in CompuBench benchmark results — something that usually happens shortly before a new component is released."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- AMD: Vega graphics cards are coming this quarter @ The Inquirer
- Hackers uncork experimental Linux-targeting malware @ The Register
- US ISP Goes Down As Two Malware Families Go To War Over Its Modems @ Slashdot
- For what it's worth, the Windows 10 Mobile Creators Update is rolling out @ The Inquirer
- Another ZX Spectrum modern reboot crowdfunder pops up @ The Register
- Microsoft cracks open patch mega-bundles for biz admins, will separate security, stability fixes @ The Register
- COUGAR Armor Gaming Chair @ Benchmark Reviews
- We review the “world’s best standing desk” – the Autonomous SmartDesk 2 @ BabelTechReviews