Check out what you can do with 3 Kinects and an Oculus Rift
Subject: General Tech | May 14, 2014 - 06:57 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: kinect, Oculus
Gizmodo might be going a bit far in calling this a Holodeck but what Oliver Kreylos has done with three Kinects and an Oculus Rift is rather impressive. As with most cool new projects involving the Oculus you cannot capture what is going on with a picture but that doesn't help with the jealousy you will be feeling after watching some of the videos. The Kinects capture his motion and the Oculus displays his body inside the zombie game he is using; there will be some space limitations if you are not good at walking in place but it certainly seems less expensive to set up than previous devices we have seen.
"With no shortage of ingenuity, 3D video expert Oliver Kreylos managed to transplant his entire body into a virtual reality environment using three Microsoft Kinects and an Oculus Rift. It's a little fuzzy, but it's easy to recognize what he's really done. He's created a Holodeck—or something close to it."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- CSO John Byrne claims AMD is leading @ Kitguru
- The RAM Disk Guide @ TechARP
- Intel wireless charging bowl video demo @ The Inquirer
- Apple, Beats and fools with money who trust celeb endorsements @ The Register
- Red Hat burps out cloudy OpenStack beta distribution @ The Register
- BlackBerry opens devices to third-party management – including its new, sub-$200 Z3 @ The Register
- More light bulbs? Yep, more light bulbs @ The Tech Report
- Your Old CD Collection Is Dying @ Slashdot