Can't get enough classic gaming? System Shock 2 and Thief 2 get compatibility updates
Subject: General Tech | September 26, 2012 - 03:12 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: gaming, system shock 2, thief 2, classics
Remember the olden days when a game was interesting enough on its own that you didn't need to add Panda bears as a playable class just to try to get players interested? Two perfect examples of what a game should be, System Shock 2 (why we can't have nice things) and Thief 2 have recently received unofficial, community designed stability patches. If you have spent time and money at Good Old Games or hoard old game CDs in the belief that you will have a trouble free experience playing old titles under Win7, you have probably come to the realization that sometimes it just isn't that easy. That is why it is wonderful to see PC gaming enthusiasts hard at work making old classics compatible with today's software and in some cases enabling resolutions and settings we only dreamed about when the games were first released. Check out Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN for the files you will need to experience these two games again, stable and with improvements beyond the original releases.
As well, make sure to check PC Per Live (over there at the right ... the radio tower with LIVE under it!) as the PC Perspective Podcast is tonight at 7PM PDT and afterwards we will probably live stream the crew playing a game, possibly one which begins with the letter 'B'.
"System Shock 2 and Thief 2 are regularly hailed as classics for a reason. They’re meticulously designed, tough but not unfair, and, well, they’ve been around for a gazillion years – at least, in gaming technology time. Unfortunately, our light-speed-traveling future machines take about as well to them as modern automobiles to giant stone Flintstones wheels. In other (pseudo) words, clunkity clunk clunk crash. But now – finally, wonderfully, mercifully – some kind soul’s seen fit to release unofficial patches that bring both games up to speed. And, according to early reports, they make some positively massive improvements."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Some Things You Should Know About The XCOM Demo @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Wot I Think: Borderlands 2 @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Developer Interview @ HardwareHeaven
- World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria (PC) Game Review @ HardwareHeaven
- Final Fantasy VII PC (re-release) Review @ eTeknix
- A Look at Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD for the PC @ Techgage
- Borderlands 2 GPU & CPU Performance Test @ Techspot
- Beneath A Steel Sky sequel confirmed by Revolution Software @ HEXUS
- Look: First Proper Total War: Rome 2 Trailer @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Darksiders 2 Review (Playstation 3) @ Kitguru