Blizzard Announces StarCraft Remastered and a Patch

Subject: General Tech | March 28, 2017 - 02:55 AM |
Tagged: starcraft, pc gaming, blizzard

On the night of the GSL Season 1 finals, and the week of StarCraft’s 19th birthday, Blizzard made a couple of announcements associated with the game. First, the game will receive a patch (1.18a) with an official observer mode, improved support for Windows 7, 8.1, and 10, support for the UTF-8 character set, and a couple of bug fixes.

It will also be made free. Anyone can download and play it.

But... if you want a graphical upgrade, Blizzard also announced the (not free) StarCraft Remastered edition. This will arrive in the summer, and it will include new audio and artwork, bringing the early-Windows 9x graphics up to 4K (with 1080p cutscenes). The gameplay will be the same, to the point of even being cross-play compatible with the original game’s multiplayer. The addition of Battle.net skill-based matchmaking will apparently be exclusive to owners of the Remastered edition, though.

The 1.18a patch will arrive in a couple of days, making the original (non-Remastered) game free. The Remastered edition will arrive in the summer, but no word on price yet.

Source: Blizzard

March 28, 2017 | 03:44 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I already saw the remaster news. I missed the part where the original is now free. I played it back shortly after Brood Wars was released. I borrowed a friend's disc. Coincidentally, I have recently been mulling buying my own copy, so this is great news. I'll play this for a bit, and I may even buy the remaster if the nostalgia holds.

March 28, 2017 | 10:10 AM - Posted by protoCJ

This is the best article on this remaster I've read. Great job Scott!

Funny thing is - they disabled buying original StarCraft in their store couple of days ago with a strange message of digital version being out of stock.

March 28, 2017 | 02:19 PM - Posted by Goofus Maximus (not verified)

Ha! I noticed that as well. I guess they ran out of ones and zeros...

March 28, 2017 | 03:48 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

OH NOs! Now they have to go down to the ones and zeros bank and withdraw some more, haven't they heard of online ones and zeros banking.

March 28, 2017 | 09:45 PM - Posted by orvtrebor

I was actually hoping they would do this with the SC2 game engine, but either way still pretty cool.

March 29, 2017 | 11:40 AM - Posted by JohnGR

They start from the beginning. You should expect SC2 to follow in a couple of years.