BitTorrent Sync 2.0 Available Now For PC, NAS, and Mobile With Pro Version For $39.95/year

Subject: General Tech | March 4, 2015 - 02:29 AM |
Tagged: sync 2.0, folder sync, file sharing, bittorrent sync, bittorrent, backup

BitTorrent Sync has officially taken the beta tag off and launched Sync 2.0. Sync 2.0 is the latest iteration of the company’s file and folder synchronization application. It uses certificate-based security and the torrent protocol to securely share files an folders with no file size or transfer limits. Sync 2.0 is available for PCs as well as NAS and mobile devices and it can be used to roll your own cloud storage.

Sync 2.0 contains numerous bug fixes and three major new features over Sync 1.4 (which I detailed here and includes selective sync, ownership and permission controls, and private identities). Additionally, the question of how BitTorrent will monetize Sync has been answered with the introduction of a paid Sync Pro subscription service that grants access to all the new Sync features.

BitTorrent continues to offer a free version that Sync 1.4.3 users can upgrade to in order to take advantage of the bug fixes with one big caveat. The free version of Sync 2.0 is limited to synchronizing 10 folders (no file/folder size or transfer limits). This is a irksome step backwards from the previous version that in my opinion is unwarranted (Sync Pro unlocks a slew of useful features), but apparently BitTorrent believes it needs to do this to encourage enough people to ante up for the paid version to support the project.

Users can download Sync 2.0 for Windows, Mac, Linux, and Free BSD from GetSync.com while mobile users can pick the Sync app up from their app store of choice (it should be live today). BitTorrent now supports Sync on Network Attached Storage devices from Asustor, Drobo, Netgear, Overland SnapServer, QNAP, Seagate, and Synology. You can grab the appropriate NAS build from this page.

Downloads of Sync 2.0 include a 30-day trial of Sync Pro. Sync Pro will cost $39.95 per user per year (on unlimited devices) with volume licensing available for large organizations and teams.

I have been using Sync since the original alpha and have found it to be invaluable in keeping all my files in sync and my smartphone pictures backed up (especially with the number of times my S5 has needed replacing heh). I am still deciding whether or not I will purchase the yearly Pro subscription (The 10 folder limit does not affect me (yet anyway)), but the new features are compelling as the linked devices and selective sync would be welcome. The ownership and permissions stuff is great for collaboration and sharing with others, but that’s not something I’m using it for right now.

What are your thoughts on Sync 2.0 and the new subscription model? Now that I am allowed to talk about it, do you have any questions?

Source: BitTorrent

Video News

March 4, 2015 | 04:01 AM - Posted by Tony (not verified)

I think that there is room for a third model here - something between free and pro. Personally I don't have the need for any of the pro features, but the new 10 folder limit is a problem, and one that I don't particularly want to spend $200 EVERY YEAR working around (5 machines)

I fully support their need to make money to support the ongoing development of this fantastic product, but come on BTSync - how about a $10 p/a version for the free version without the folder limitations?

March 4, 2015 | 04:23 AM - Posted by Tim Verry

Yes, the 10 folder limit is going to be an issue for many people I think, and maybe there will be some sort of of middle ground where ou can pay once for an unlimited folder version but without the pro features, that wouldn't be too bad.

FYI, even with five machines, it would still be $39.95 per year. Once you pay for Pro, you can use it on all of your devices. At least it stings a little less...

March 4, 2015 | 05:33 AM - Posted by PM Arking (not verified)

Actually, with five machines, it would be $199.95 per year, because their License Agreement states that: “You may… use one copy of the Software on a single computer” and also says, “You may… use the Software on a network, provided that You have a licensed copy of the Software for each computer that can access the Software over that network.”

I’m wondering where you read that it could be used on all devices—did BitTorrent give conflicting licensing details in different places?

March 4, 2015 | 03:01 PM - Posted by Tim Verry

I've reached out to BitTorrent for clarification and will get back to you ASAP.

March 4, 2015 | 03:13 PM - Posted by Tim Verry

BitTorrent has confirmed that the $39.95 fee is per user per year on all of their personal devices.

March 4, 2015 | 06:26 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I switched over to using Syncthing last week. It's open source and there's no central tracker. The main developer is really productive too. I'm glad I did that if Sync has limited functionality, I expect many more will be switching now.

March 4, 2015 | 09:07 AM - Posted by Daniel Nielsen (not verified)

Gonna take a look at that instead.

March 4, 2015 | 09:06 AM - Posted by Daniel Nielsen (not verified)

Sounds really cool, but the 10 folder restriction on the free model, is a bit nuts.

March 4, 2015 | 10:16 AM - Posted by Shambles (not verified)

Is there anything simply stopping people form running the older free beta version that everyone seemed to like better anyways?

March 4, 2015 | 12:32 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Probably not. Just like they did with uTorrent charging for "Pro" versions lol. Really you got nothing out of it and it's probably why they're trying to sell BTSync early. Nothing stopped people from using previous versions of uTorrent and the newer versions were just bloatware and useless features non-related to BitTorrent anyways.

March 4, 2015 | 03:00 PM - Posted by Tim Verry

AFAIK, the 1.4.x builds are fair game and people will be able to use them for as long as they want, but the Sync 2.0 alpha and beta builds "are set to expire" soon.

March 4, 2015 | 10:52 AM - Posted by razor512

A good end to the article, will be to link to a mirror of archived older versions so that users can have a trusted list of the latest non crippled version.

March 4, 2015 | 03:09 PM - Posted by Tim Verry

Hmm well MajorGeeks has Sync 1.4.110 listed here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/bittorrent_sync.html

I found a Sync 1.0.99 installer on my PC... don't have the latest build to send anyone though.

March 4, 2015 | 11:14 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Two out of three Samurai endorse BitTorrent Sync 2.0!

March 4, 2015 | 02:34 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

yeah whats up with the hair???

March 5, 2015 | 08:21 PM - Posted by wizpig64 (not verified)

the new limit is pretty dumb, i'll be switching to syncthing for my future needs.