PCPer Mailbag #54 - Let's All Pretend to Comprehend Allyn

Subject: Editorial | July 27, 2018 - 09:00 AM |
Tagged: video, pcper mailbag, Allyn Malventano

It's time for the PCPer Mailbag, our weekly show where Ryan and the team answer your questions about the tech industry, the latest and greatest GPUs, the process of running a tech review website, and more!

On today's show, Allyn makes a triumphant return after conquering Europe:

00:42 - Reliability of larger hard drives?
04:47 - 970 EVO vs. 950 Pro?
07:15 - Windows drive letter limit?
09:12 - How does a second parity drive work?
15:24 - Benefits of disabling hyper-threading?
17:18 - The fate of Optane?
18:58 - Consoles with SSDs?
22:06 - Factors that will lower SSD prices?
25:46 - Seagate drive reliability?

Want to have your question answered on a future Mailbag? Leave a comment on this post or in the YouTube comments for the latest video. Check out new Mailbag videos each Friday!

Be sure to subscribe to our YouTube Channel to make sure you never miss our weekly reviews and podcasts, and please consider supporting PC Perspective via Patreon to help us keep videos like our weekly mailbag coming!

Source: YouTube

July 27, 2018 | 11:33 AM - Posted by EmeraldFlame

A question specifically for Allyn the next time he is on. I noticed you have a wafer on your shelf, what chip(s) are on that wafer?

July 27, 2018 | 08:04 PM - Posted by "in a world..." (not verified)

July 29, 2018 | 06:46 PM - Posted by Jeremy Hellstrom

Love it ... and I forget which one, I'd have to ask again.

July 27, 2018 | 11:37 AM - Posted by Bill Burlingame (not verified)

I'm getting parts in for a build based on the Leaderboard's High End build to replace my last build with a Core i7 3770K on an ASRockZ97Pro mobo. I am not a gamer, but I like to do what I can to future proof my builds. I canceled the WD m.2 card order because it was on backorder and I'm getting a 960 EVO m.2 that should be here today. I will be using the graphics card from my old system and the onboard audio. I upgraded the RAM to two 16GB cards. I also substituted the MSI x370 Gaming Plus mobo. I don't have a need for SLI. The case should be here Monday, but I should be able to test it this weekend on the bench. My concern now is installing Windows 10 on the NVME card. Seems like it's not always so straightforward.

July 27, 2018 | 02:22 PM - Posted by Paul A. Mitchell (not verified)

[copy of my comment at YouTube]

Allyn, You are THE BEST = second to none. I always learn something new from you. And, welcome home. Hope you had a FABULOUS vacation, well deserved. Keep up the good work, as always.

July 27, 2018 | 02:24 PM - Posted by Paul A. Mitchell (not verified)

[copy of my comment at YouTube]

July 31, 2018 | 04:51 PM - Posted by WaitingForBZ (not verified)

Could you put a check on the sycophancy for a good while!

July 30, 2018 | 04:58 PM - Posted by Magic8Ball (not verified)

What does your personal magic eight ball say about gaming PC ecosystem? Will the next gen consoles totally take over the lower/mid(general) gaming PC market. The way things are, next gen console plus 1080p would be better value than anything on PC side by a very very long shot.

With next gens power, I imagine a smaller MMO telling their player base to move to console w/K+M as premier platform. Unlike somewhat wasted efforts on PC side, over the generation, all optimization,... efforts would actually snowball to greater effect. As long as Sony/MS aren't too greedy. It should start a stampede to destroy lower end PC gaming?

I remember my PC had 20x the memory of PS3 for the longest time during its lifetime.

I am sure this has said before and always been wrong. But it feels different this time...

August 1, 2018 | 05:45 AM - Posted by Richard7047

I'm currently running a Ryzen 3 1st gen PC and wanting to upgrade to a Ryzen 7 and not entirely sure which part I should buy 1st a new Ryzen CPU or a newer motherboard everything all works on my current setup just not sure which component to buy first

August 2, 2018 | 12:35 AM - Posted by mAxius

Whatever happened to this amd's project discovery tablet https://www.engadget.com/2014/01/07/amds-project-discovery-tablet/