LG Announces 34UM67 UltraWide Gaming Monitor with AMD FreeSync

Subject: Displays | December 31, 2014 - 10:29 AM |
Tagged: LG, 34um67, ultrawide, 21:9, CES, ces 2015, freesync, adaptive sync

Let the variable refresh rate monitor battle begin! This week LG has announced a gaming-specific 21:9 aspect ratio monitor that features support for AMD's FreeSync variable refresh rate technology. LG joins Samsung as monitor vendors that have officially thrown in hats with the AMD-backed and VESA standard Adaptive Sync technology rather than NVIDIA's G-Sync (or maybe in addition to).

The new 34UM67 is a flat, 34-in 21:9 aspect ratio display; a style that is becoming increasing popular among enthusiast and gamers as they offer expanding views in some games without the need to use multiple monitors in a Eyefinity or Surround configuration. LG has not announced the resolution yet but I assume that since they aren't bragging about it openly, that we are looking at a 2560x1080 screen rather than 3440x1440. Still, coupling that resolution with support for a variable refresh technology should provide an impressive gaming experience.

Here is what the official press release has to say about the new LG 34UM67 being shown next week at CES:

LG's UltraWide Gaming Monitor (34UM67) is the company's first 21:9 monitor specifically developed for graphics-intensive gaming. AMD's FreeSync technology eliminates the screen tearing that occurs when the monitor and graphics card are out of sync. Furthermore FreeSync technology guarantees the smoothest and most seamless gaming experience, generating fluid motion without any loss of frame rate.

"AMD FreeSync technology is an innovative monitor technology, based on free and open industry standards, to eliminate the tearing and stuttering that has plagued PC gaming for 30 years," said Roy Taylor, corporate vice president of ISV/IHV Partner Group, AMD. "We are pleased that LG Electronics stands with us with truly exciting  AMD FreeSync-ready displays like the LG UltraWide Gaming Monitor."

The 34UM67 also has an exceptional UltraWide field of view (FOV), allowing gamers to gain the upper hand by revealing hidden spaces that were invisible on regular 16:9 monitors. The monitor's Black Stabilizer illuminates dark scenes and helps to clearly define the deep black areas where objects and enemies could be hidden. The Dynamic Action Sync mode minimizes input lag, enhancing users' real time gaming experience. Many popular games such as Battlefield 4, World of Warcraft and ArcheAge currently support 21:9 resolution with more games expected to support this resolution in the future.

Support for 21:9 resolutions is still spotty in most PC titles and can result in the same kind of FOV scaling issues we see with Eyefinity. More games are including direct support for these monitors and hopefully 2015 will see a focus on that with each game release.

I still have a lot of questions about AMD's FreeSync technology and how it will stand up to the effectiveness of NVIDIA G-Sync, but I am eager to see it first hand. CES will provide the first opportunity for us but we will obviously need extended time with panels in our offices to make a final decision.

Source: PRNewsWire

December 31, 2014 | 10:55 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Will it be an TN panel or IPS?
I'm waiting on pulling the trigger on a new monitor, if I could get one right now that's UltraWide it would be the ASUS PB298Q because it's IPS. I know it's only 60Hz but I feel like that's a good in-between for gaming.

I am eager to see more FreeSync options come out to the surface though, I'm hoping ASUS jumps on the FreeSync bandwagon because I believe their panels just look better in comparison to LG. If ASUS doesn't create an answer to this, I might have to go with this monitor only if its IPS...

December 31, 2014 | 11:38 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I think those are two different screens that they are talking about in your link. It only mentions IPS in the curved 34" monitor

December 31, 2014 | 12:41 PM - Posted by Ophelos

It's 4 different monitors in the link.

34UM67 doesn't say anything about IPS
34UC97 Is IPS
34UC87M Doesn't say anything about IPS
31MU97 Doesn't say anything about IPS

December 31, 2014 | 02:14 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Its an updated version of the 34UM65

January 1, 2015 | 09:09 AM - Posted by MoloMein (not verified)

Most ASUS panels are made by LG or Samsung. Saying that ASUS monitors look better is a bit of a misnomer, because most of them are LG panels.

If you're talking about how their bezels and stands look, then sure, ASUS usually makes pretty decent looking stuff. I'm currently using three ASUS monitors and they look pretty slick.

ASUS seems to have drank the Gsync cool-aid though, so it doesn't look very promising that they will support FreeSync early on. Once they start loosing sales just because they aren't supporting a VESA standard, they will probably change their tune and work with AMD to get it implemented.

Until then, I'll probably be trading my ASUS monitors in for a nice 21:9 LG.

January 1, 2015 | 12:04 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

LG monitor reviews are far worse than Samsung and ASUS monitors. The panel alone doesn't make a monitor.

December 31, 2014 | 12:53 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I might shift to team red just for this.

December 31, 2014 | 07:50 PM - Posted by Edmond (not verified)

same, in a heartbeat even

January 1, 2015 | 05:35 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Count me in also, but am going Samsung

December 31, 2014 | 02:01 PM - Posted by renz (not verified)

Ryan when can we expect Adaptive Sync / FreeSync review and comparison with G-Sync?

December 31, 2014 | 02:14 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Probably a couple days after real products exist?

December 31, 2014 | 10:29 PM - Posted by renz (not verified)

so is that when the monitor available in mass quantity or as soon as working monitor are shown to the public? (which means a week or two after CES)

December 31, 2014 | 02:18 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I imagine they'll probably all be ips, even the cheap 2560x1080 monitor lg produces is ips.

December 31, 2014 | 03:26 PM - Posted by lzaffuto (not verified)

Samsung just announced some new models on the way too. I really want a 3440x1440 monitor for gaming. The non-curved LG model is available used from Amazon down to ~$700 now, but still a little too expensive for me. I hope more monitors in this format will push the price down to the ~$500 range.

December 31, 2014 | 05:50 PM - Posted by pdjblum

extra-wide + ips + freesync = yippee

gsync + high res + high refresh - tn - $300 too much = sucks

January 1, 2015 | 12:11 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

LOL You haven't seen the price yet. Even if the parts are cheaper than G-Sync parts, manufacturers could still easily keep the price high just to show its competitive.

The monitor is nice and clearly shows they are coming, but how come we haven't had full reviews already like we did with G-Sync? I'm not saying Freesync sucks and they already know it, but AMD has a history of keeping quiet prior to release when the product isn't that great. Add to teh fact that an LG monitor is in the spotlight right now? Not ASUS or BenQ? Something isn't right.

I hope I'm wrong, because I would love a 21:9 IPS gaming monitor.

January 1, 2015 | 01:24 PM - Posted by greenwithao (not verified)

The non free sync version of this monitor is $1500.
Also even thotgh free sync has no licence it is estamted to add $100 to all montiors.

December 31, 2014 | 05:48 PM - Posted by collie

Every last one of you can give me all the shit you want for saying this, but wow. That is beautiful. I want to know how much it costs. if I can get a beautie like that for say, $400, i would be inclined to talk my wife into a shorter monitor refresh cycle. Not now, not yet, BUT, against everything I've said in the past, I could now see upgrading to a 21:9 free sync monitor around this time next year.

December 31, 2014 | 05:53 PM - Posted by pdjblum

Why would anyone give you shit? This monitor is potentially awesome, especially if it is affordable to the normal enthusiast; not by Allyn's measure, who seems to have a much higher measure of affordable than at least myself.

December 31, 2014 | 10:30 PM - Posted by renz (not verified)

so how much for the non Adaptive Sync version of this monitor cost?

January 3, 2015 | 12:55 AM - Posted by collie

ONE FURTHER THOUGHT on all these 21:9 monitors. How horable will it look if you watch a 4:3 video on one of these? You'd be loosing what.. 2/3 of the screen? Probably bleeding light like crazy as the crystals stress to make all that black.

January 4, 2015 | 03:48 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

here's the price

December 31, 2014 | 06:46 PM - Posted by ZoA (not verified)

You people should keep in mind not all freesync monitors will be born the same. Unlike Nvidia on G-sync AMD does not have any direct control over actual hardware going in to freesync monitors, and even technical requirements AMD places before those monitors for freesync to work is quite generous, so variable refresh rate span can be as small as 24-60 Hz to as wide as 9-144 Hz.

So if you are getting freesync monitor carefully pay attention to declared range variable refresh rates as it will be different for deferent monitors. Also if is quite possible that peculiarities of different manufactures going beyond range of variable refresh frequencies might affect overall performance of freesinc.

December 31, 2014 | 07:56 PM - Posted by Edmond (not verified)

Current 34" 2560x1080 latest LG monitor costs 500 EUR.

If the iyama monitor is anything to go by, than this new freesync version will cost MAX 500 EUR.

For mericans its prob 500$, since everything is cheaper there... but you dont have healthcare tho ^^

I suspect thats the reason why they are releasing it in that resolution... so gamers can afford them in mass.

FINALLY GAMES WILL BE POSSIBLE TO ENJOY INSTEAD OF JUST RUN THEM!

December 31, 2014 | 08:20 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I like how they avoid mentioning it only being 60hz.
60fps is very easy to achieve consistently even on one GPU variable refresh is pointless IMO at on 60hz panels unless you have something like 4k

December 31, 2014 | 10:37 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I hope Dell responds with a GSync compatible 34".

January 1, 2015 | 01:50 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

The only thing that interests me now is minimum refresh rate. I am extremely sensitive to stuttering so I would like to get a display that supports 24-60 hz refresh rate.

The worst thing is that it might be impossible to create such display because, as far as I understand, LCD monitors suffer from the artifacts with low refresh rate (~30hz and lower). I hope display manufacturers will try to solve this problem somehow.

January 1, 2015 | 07:41 PM - Posted by JCCIII

If it is not 3440 x 1440 or it is plagued with LG's IPS back-lighting issues, it will be worthless.

Way to go Nvidia! As of today, Samsung still has no plans for g-sync, unbelievably believable.

January 1, 2015 | 08:58 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Much like the Asus RoG swift is plagued by backlight issues. Even the one Tom brought for the 3-way demo had visible bleed.

Just type "asus rog swift pg278q backlight bleed" in google and you get countless hits and images. Lets not bring that up because it doesn't conform to some ones views right ?

January 2, 2015 | 07:41 PM - Posted by Joakim (not verified)

Didn't Nvidia just sue Samsung? It is not very likely that we'll see a G-sync monitor from them any time soon.

January 1, 2015 | 10:47 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Only Dell can save us. Cmon! Support Gsync! You'll sell a buck load of monitors. Nvidia fanbois are willing to pay a premium for Gsync monitors (unlike cheapskate AMD fanbois).

Benq and asus and their TN panels are a disappointment and bad indicator for Gsync monitors. We want IPS! And with LG and Samsung throwing their hat on freesync, now is the time for Dell to differentiate itself and partner with Nvidia.

January 4, 2015 | 08:35 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Dell is only making screens for bussiness users - some of them are usuable for gaming but none of them is specifically adressed at gamers.

January 2, 2015 | 06:05 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

it seems like with the latest graphics cards most people won't have a problem pushing 3440x1440@60, what would be more interesting is a dp1.3 5120x2160 with freesync where most graphics cards would struggle reaching even the 50s, and thus adaptive sync can shine

January 2, 2015 | 12:54 PM - Posted by obababoy

Alot of games can struggle with 3440x1440@60 on a single card. I think 3440x1440 with a single card and freesync is a perfect place to be! Like I posted below, I highly doubt this will even be 1440p.

January 2, 2015 | 10:11 AM - Posted by akaronin (not verified)

I don't understand why this new UltraWide GAMING Monitor is NOT curved... I'm disappointed :-/ Even more disappointed by the fact that it's only 60hz :-(

January 2, 2015 | 12:56 PM - Posted by obababoy

There is no doubt the vertical resolution will be 1080p. Look at their naming convention. 34um65 is 1080 and the 34um95 is 1440p. Of course I can always be wrong and I hope I am.

2560x1080p for this size monitor will have the pixel density of a 1080p 27 inch which is just too low IMO.

January 3, 2015 | 07:56 AM - Posted by Edmond (not verified)

For desktop that makes everything old-timer and VERY comfortable.

For gaming, just use any of the AA, or even some DSR or amd equivalent, whatever.

They are making a 34" freesync 1080p version so that the price is low and MANY gamers can afford a HUGE, WIDE, FREESYNC gaming monitor.

A monitor on which games CAN FINALLY BE ENJOYED not just run on.

I bet you its gonna be as expensive as the current 34um65, like 500EUR.
I honestly love LG for that move.

January 12, 2015 | 11:51 AM - Posted by obababoy

Well give us an option to spend more on the 1440 version then. 1440p would be better in all instances not just gaming. You can't use AA in Adobe premier or other programs. It is pretty cool though.

January 4, 2015 | 01:51 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

"I still have a lot of questions about AMD's FreeSync technology and how it will stand up to the effectiveness of NVIDIA G-Sync, but I am eager to see it first hand."

^This is why I hate comments online praising FreeSync going only by a pathetic demo and marketing. FreeSync stories are few and far between. Think about that.

I don't want it to fail, but I don't think it's in the same league as G-Sync, and AMD knows it. At the very least, you would think at least one manufacturer with a FreeSync monitor in the works would be marketing like mad about how it compares to G-Sync, and I haven't seen it.

I can't wait for the reviews.

January 4, 2015 | 08:51 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I already have very good 60Hz display - if they want me to upgrade it they need to make it VA or IPS and more than 60Hz

January 4, 2015 | 09:14 AM - Posted by Edmond (not verified)

its IPS, FREESYNC and 21:9

i cant think of a more enjoyable gaming before 100+hz OLED comes around

January 5, 2015 | 12:42 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

but its 1080p 60hz, good but could have been godly

January 5, 2015 | 06:24 PM - Posted by Edmond (not verified)

its 75hz...

thats divine enough to hold me over till OLED comes around

i dont want a smearfest 144hz IPS anyway.
OLED will be the one that unlocks proper high framerates.

January 5, 2015 | 12:40 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

ugh so many "almost" monitors. I want
IPS
1440p (wide or not)
Freesync
120hz

make it happen

everything has been off in one category its driving me nuts

January 5, 2015 | 12:40 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

ugh so many "almost" monitors. I want