Just Picked Up: Samsung LS24F350 FreeSync Monitor

Subject: Displays | August 13, 2017 - 03:46 PM |
Tagged: Samsung, PLS

And, naturally, things break right when you make a big purchase. The day after I set up the Oculus, one of my monitors had a wobbly backlight and buzz, quickly going black-screen despite the on light showing it was connected. I revived it by turning it off and on again, but it was clear that it was dead. That said, I bought it back in ~2005-2006, so it lived a long life.

Its replacement? A 24-inch mainstream Samsung PLS, 1080p display. It was surprisingly difficult finding a cheap (but solid) monitor that also had a wall mount, but this one was luckily $80-off at Staples ($169.96 CDN before taxes until August 15th). It was also compatible with FreeSync, but my GPUs are NVIDIA so it’s not a feature that I can comment on. It doesn't have a high refresh rate or anything, but it seems very good (for its price) so far.

One thing that I will note, however, is that you need to be careful with your wall mounts... there’s a stub for the stand that will not come off, and there’s not much room between it and the VESA mounts. Unless you have holes at pretty much the very bottom of your mount, which I luckily did, you will need to buy a new mount (or do some hacky thing with standoffs or whatever).

August 13, 2017 | 04:26 PM - Posted by WhatZuppWitDemRRsAPUs (not verified)

Hey, ask Staples why they do not carry any AMD APU based laptops at their retail locations. Maybe that will change with the Reven Ridge APU's(Zen/Vega) arrival.

Scott, how do you figure that AMD is going to handle any Raven Ridge Vega APU graphics under Vega's HBCC/HBC IP without having any HBM2 memory to use for high bandwidth cache on any Raven Ridge Zen/Vega SKUs with integrated Vega graphics. Do you think that AMD may include some form of embedded DRAM cache with its Raven Ridge APUs like Intel uses for its Iris pro graphics? AMD needs some form of DRAM be it HBM2 of embedded DRAM for the Vega HBCC/HBC IP to function properly, so that's going to be a big ? until there is more known about the Raven Ridge APUs.

August 13, 2017 | 04:55 PM - Posted by Scott Michaud

No idea, unfortunately. I definitely like the thought of GPUs that can operate on memory in-place, despite software not picking up on it yet, but I don't know AMD's plans.

August 13, 2017 | 06:48 PM - Posted by Itsadriveby (not verified)

Lol @scottmichaud I like you but don't you think this post was more suitable for a tweet rather than a tech blog. You can't even comment on the inclusion of freesync other than to denote that it is indeed included.

August 13, 2017 | 07:07 PM - Posted by Scott Michaud

The "Just Delivered" and "Just Picked Up" posts are some of our most popular. Apparently, many of our readers like to see the things we buy, and to get our first impressions on them.

But yes, they're lighter on content than, say, a full review. That's not their point.

August 13, 2017 | 11:18 PM - Posted by michael garand (not verified)

You should do a review on the aoc agon 27" 1440p 144hz currently it's selling between 399_419. It features freesync / adaptive-sync. The product page just says adaptive-sync but I can verify it is indeed freesync. It's not comparable to a predator or rog but for its price its a great gaming display

August 14, 2017 | 01:00 AM - Posted by StandardzBodyz (not verified)

VESA Display Port Adaptive Sync(TM) is what AMD's "FreeSync" is based on. So it may not be to much of a problem. Now if AMD's Freesync 2 Technology if it is outside the VESA DisplayPort 1.2a standard then maybe there will need to be a closer look.

Frome the wikipedia FreeSync 2 entry:

"In January 2017, AMD announced the second generation of FreeSync. FreeSync 2 expands beyond the territory of its predecessor by also including standards for things like color and dynamic range. Requirements include removing the minimum frame rate, and setting a maximum on screen latency. FreeSync 2 also doubles the color and brightness spaces, and communicating the screen's specifications to the driver, enabling automatic support for high dynamic range.[5]"(1)

(1)

I usually would link to the article directly with a hyperlinked refrence buy PCPer's S P A M filter is not wanting the free exchange of ideas anymore and blocks legit website refrences! So you will have Google "FreeSync" or "FreeSync 2" and hope that google's search results show the Wikipedia link.

August 13, 2017 | 07:30 PM - Posted by Just an Nvidia User (not verified)

What brand was the monitor you had for 11 or 12 years? Was it also Samsung. My monitor before I replaced it was a Samsung. I had it for about 7 years before I donated it to someone. They are excellent quality. The prices have come down quite a bit as I remember paying over $300 for my 1080p Samsung.

August 14, 2017 | 06:26 PM - Posted by Scott Michaud

It was an LG. 1680x1050 20".