IFA 2015: ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q: 34-inch 21:9 100Hz IPS G-SYNC Monitor

Subject: Displays | September 3, 2015 - 08:58 AM |
Tagged: ROG Swift, PG348Q, monitor, ips, IFA 2015, gaming monitor, g-sync, asus, 3440x1440, 21:9, 100Hz

The latest ROG Swift monitor from ASUS is the PG348Q, which features a curved 34-inch IPS 21:9 display.

The ROG Swift PG348Q offers 3440x1440 resolution from its 100 Hz IPS panel, and includes NVIDIA G-SYNC technology. The new ROG Swift is said to have a "frameless curved design", but as we saw with the recently reviewed ASUS PB258Q monitor this might not be quite as frameless after all, but we shall see.

The ROG Swift PG348Q features full tilt, swivel, and height adjustments, and offers a couple of ASUS-specific features including GamePlus, which "gives users four different crosshair options, an in-game timer and an FPS counter for an added advantage in first-person-shooter and real-time-strategy games", and GameVisual, which "provides six preset display modes for optimized gaming visuals".

Pricing and availability of this latest ROG Swift has yet to be announced.

Source: ASUS

September 3, 2015 | 09:12 AM - Posted by H1tman_Actua1

I wish it were 16:9 40" 1440p 144hz Gsync

I'd sell my ROG swift pg278q in a heart beat!

September 3, 2015 | 10:54 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Didn't Acer already come out with a G-Sync monitor like that:

Allyn already reviewed it

September 3, 2015 | 11:04 AM - Posted by Chucky (not verified)

That Acer is 2560x1440 16/9 monitor.
This Asus is 3440x1440 21/9.

September 3, 2015 | 05:00 PM - Posted by Edmond (not verified)

acer xb270hu... everything your rog swift has, except its not a garbage TN... its an actual IPS

December 3, 2015 | 10:16 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Learn to read, its fundamental. Also go read the QC issues of that piece of crap Acer xb270hu on Amazon. Nevermind, i forgot you're blind.

September 3, 2015 | 09:22 AM - Posted by Chucky (not verified)

This looks like the best monitor ever... And also the most expensive one.

September 3, 2015 | 09:51 AM - Posted by funandjam

Interesting, I was understanding that 21:9 1440p monitors couldn't have a higher than 75 refresh rate because of bandwidth limitations or something like that(I could be wrong, if I am, show me a link that says why)
Anyway, i predict the price to be along the line of $anarmandaleg.99 or your soul, whichever is more expensive.

September 3, 2015 | 04:24 PM - Posted by PapaDragon

I don't have the link, but I remember that an expert said that 109hz is the limit for dp 1.2 at 3440x1440 !

September 4, 2015 | 09:04 AM - Posted by funandjam

Ah ok, Now I'll have to look that up. Not that I can afford one of these monitors, but it is still interesting to read about. Anyway, thanks for being civil in your response.

September 3, 2015 | 05:01 PM - Posted by Edmond (not verified)

You never understood anything... just kept repeating what you read on other forums where clueless kids talk shit.

September 4, 2015 | 10:01 AM - Posted by funandjam

Hey, thanks for your kind response. It really goes in depth on the various specs about the monitor including refresh rate, very informative.

September 5, 2015 | 08:32 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

1.2a:
A. Because of its high data rate, DisplayPort 1.2a systems today can support 4K displays at 60Hz refresh and full 30-bit 4:4:4 color (non-chroma subsampled).

1.3:
Q: Will DisplayPort 1.3 enable further performance enhancements to 4K UHD displays?
A: Yes, when including the new HBR3 link rate option, DisplayPort 1.3 will enable a 4K UHD display to operate at a 120Hz refresh rate using 24-bit pixels, or a 96Hz refresh rate using 30-bit pixels.

*If I crunch the numbers for pixels I get roughly 100Hz support for 3440x1440 using DP1.2a (30-bit support).

Basically take 60Hz (for 4K) and multiply due to the pixel difference. Thus, 60Hz X (3840x2160)/(3440x1440) = 100Hz.

September 3, 2015 | 09:52 AM - Posted by Zabojnik

Only missing a PVA panel. We're getting closer.

September 3, 2015 | 10:18 AM - Posted by kent1146

As an owner of a 3440 x 1440 ultrawide monitor (60Hz), this thing from Asus is totally sexy. 100Hz, and G-Sync? Yes please!

Honestly, it will probably cost around $1200 - $1300 retail. That's about how much 34" 3440x1440 curved ultrawide monitors cost when they first released several months (or a year) ago, before coming down to about the $950 - $1000 range you see today. It would be very reasonable for Asus to charge a $200-$300 premium for a monitor that also has Gsync + 100Hz IPS panel, as a MSRP launch price.

Expensive, yes. But this is why we have jobs.

September 3, 2015 | 12:19 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I agree, this is specifically the only reason I still go to work.

October 14, 2015 | 06:17 AM - Posted by Cinderelli

Same here. Toys are expensive.

September 3, 2015 | 12:32 PM - Posted by obababoy

Wow this thing is impressive. If I wasn't an AMD fan and didnt have the MG279Q i'd be all over this...

September 5, 2015 | 12:28 AM - Posted by pdjblum

Then you should look at this acer. It has freesync and a 23 - 80hz refresh:

September 3, 2015 | 01:27 PM - Posted by KingKookaluke (not verified)

I thought JJ said that this was still a prototype, and not to speculate on the refresh rates yet? I read that on the Asus site yesterday.

September 3, 2015 | 01:27 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

If I wasn't in the AMD camp I'd buy that in a heartbeat; I wonder if there will be a freesync version.
That is the monitor of my dreams.

September 3, 2015 | 01:38 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

These 1440p ultrawide monitors are so expensive that you may as well just go for 4k, and get even more horizontal resolution with almost twice the vertical resolution and a far more usable aspect ratio.

Having a wide display is nice, sure, but why do people insist on having it so short?

I'd take that $1000 4k 40" VA Seiki monitor over this one in a heartbeat

October 3, 2015 | 06:06 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

...except that 4K is currently limited to 60Hz AFAIK. With 2560x1440 you can get 144Hz and with 3440x1440 we still get 100Hz.

That's a big deal to gamers, and also still important to non-gamers as it does SMOOTH mouse usage.

4K also suffers due to scaling issues for programs with poor support which is still quite common.

September 3, 2015 | 02:25 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

where's the 27" 1440p ips gsync monitor?

September 8, 2015 | 09:35 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Acer makes it, i have it and it Is gloooorious

September 3, 2015 | 04:29 PM - Posted by quest4glory

"We shall see"? There's a visible border in the last shot.

September 3, 2015 | 04:30 PM - Posted by quest4glory

Duplicate - thanks Edge.

September 3, 2015 | 04:33 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

The shape of the stand looks like an epic fail, judging by the pictures.

Imagine spending all that money on a much awaited ultra-wide IPS GSync Monitor and not being able to push the screen back to the end of the desk because of the rear leg. Even if the stand swivels to minimise this, it will then have a leg sticking out of the front where some like to keep their keyboard or (like me) a sound bar. Looks great but we need more than just looks.

September 4, 2015 | 01:38 AM - Posted by genBTC (not verified)

Thats a very good point. Very observant.

September 3, 2015 | 05:04 PM - Posted by Edmond (not verified)

Acer x34 = 3440x1440, 34" curved IPS, 100hz, gsync
Asus pg348q = 3440x1440, 34" curved IPS, 100hz, gsync

THE NEW KING IS HERE! AND THERES TWO VERSIONS OF IT!

REJOICE CONSOLE PEASANTS!

September 4, 2015 | 01:06 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Yep.

I plan to buy one of these as soon as possible.

The back of the Asus is too extravagant for my tastes (and will probably cause the price to be higher).

The non-gsync version of the Predator X34 got a pretty good review: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xr341ck.htm

I want one now!

September 4, 2015 | 01:11 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Here is Acer's product page for the Predator X34 http://acer.com/predator/en_US/predator_x34.html

September 4, 2015 | 03:06 PM - Posted by Arramin

September 4, 2015 | 04:24 PM - Posted by ashleyackley

The company is cheating by featuring a black bordered screenshot with the very much existing black border. I am sure this is a beautiful monitor being IPS and 1440p, but I can't help but feel that each and every game is going to need special tweaking to get the FOV dialed in for a 21/9 dispalay, especially older games. At this point a $1000 monitor should be truly border-less. Sounds like they slapped a ROG logo on a fancy case and stuffed it with a great (although not groundbreaking) panel.A solid display, but do you really want to pay the ROG tax when there are better offerings?

September 4, 2015 | 06:53 PM - Posted by quest4glory

That's not cheating, it's marketing.

September 4, 2015 | 06:53 PM - Posted by quest4glory

Another dup.

September 8, 2015 | 05:38 PM - Posted by Ozy (not verified)

No one mentioned the response time of these panels vs their TN 2560x1440 G-Sync counterparts. That plays a big part too for us twitch-sensitive users. I expect higher since it's IPS, but how high?

September 13, 2015 | 12:33 PM - Posted by davoz28caboose

Until I see the 144Hz G Sync 34" I won't budge from my Acer Predator. http://www.amazon.com/Acer-XB270HU-bprz-27-inch-Widescreen/dp/B00UPVXDA8 I would really like the 34" tho...

September 14, 2015 | 09:46 PM - Posted by johnestan (not verified)

I just bought the Dell Dell U3415W, 3440x1440 60Hz moniter. I got tired of waiting for the gsync 21:9 moniters. I don't game a ton anyway, and its probably going to be $500 more than what I paid.

October 14, 2015 | 06:33 PM - Posted by Da Master (not verified)

I want yo see how the image quality of it, if it's not better than the acer 34ck then I'll buy that instead of the Asus,

been waiting for high refresh low blur for such a long time now I recently sold 2 of my Asus 27s in preparation

January 13, 2016 | 12:03 AM - Posted by JCCIII

excellent Ryan, thank you for the update…