AMD adds panel types and frequency ranges to their FreeSync page

Subject: Displays | May 2, 2016 - 05:53 PM |
Tagged: freesync, amd, about damn time

Better late than never, our friend Robert Hallock has informed the world that AMD has updated their FreeSync display list with response ranges and panel types.  Having the physical size of the display, the resolution and the accepted inputs are necessary but this update offers a much better look at the displays you will be getting.  If you are unwilling to give up the colour reproduction of a IPS panel for the speed of an TN this is invaluable to you, as is pointing out the few VA based monitors.

Listing the top and bottom frequencies of the variable refresh displays is arguably even more important.  We now know that currently only the Acer XR341CK and BX340CK, the Nixeus NX-VUE24 and the Viewsonic XG2701 are capable of dropping to 30Hz and that a total of 17 models can reach 144Hz.  Check out the list for the available 4K displays as well as regular 1440p and ultra-wide 1440p displays in the list and refer back to it regularly as there are a few monitors awaiting final specifications and more coming out in the near future.

Source: AMD

Video News

May 2, 2016 | 06:00 PM - Posted by PJ (not verified)

I think this statement "the colour reproduction of a TN panel for the speed of an IPS" has TN and IPS flippy flopped.

May 2, 2016 | 06:33 PM - Posted by Jeremy Hellstrom

.sknaht ,did I deednI

May 3, 2016 | 06:42 PM - Posted by rl (not verified)

Hey Jeremy, would you be so kind and ping Robert Hallock about the orgin of the range specs. The AOC G2460PF for one has an advertised range of 35-144Hz, yet the list specs the monitor as 35-120Hz. There have been some problems in the past with this monitor, the original driver would only allow 48-144Hz, AOC then issued a Beta driver that extends it to 35Hz but there are reports that the driver does not work properly (for reference a review by PC Monitors -> https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-g2460pf/

So I wonder, are the numbers coming from the OEMs or did AMD/ Mr. Hallock aquire them through the Certification Process or other means?

Thank you.

May 4, 2016 | 01:58 PM - Posted by Jeremy Hellstrom

"​As of January 15, 2016"  So they need another update.

May 2, 2016 | 06:19 PM - Posted by Ophelos

Hell with TN and IPS monitors. I'm waiting for HDR monitors to come out with FreeSync.

May 2, 2016 | 06:29 PM - Posted by nanoflower (not verified)

Isn't HDR going to just be an additional feature on top of TN or IPS monitors? So better panel quality and electronics but still the same basic technology.

May 3, 2016 | 12:00 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Probably IPS at least, OLED and other options will exist.

I doubt TN would be suitable.

May 3, 2016 | 06:19 AM - Posted by Spunjji

Agreed, HDR on a panel tech that can't even support standard dynamic range consistently would be an odd choice.

OLED looks to be the way to go for the necessary gamut / static contrast / response time requirements.

May 4, 2016 | 01:22 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

You can get much better color accuracy with a quantum dot enhanced LED backlight. I don't know if that will be able to make HDR-capable displays with TN panels though. I generally don't use TN panels; they just look washed out to me usually. It would be great if they can get much better color out of a much faster panel tech.

May 3, 2016 | 11:30 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Correct: For transmissive displays (TN, VA and IPS LCD panels) it's the backlight that determines gamut and dynamic range, and that backlight is independant of the panel technology.

We saw this confusion preivously with 'LED' TVs (that are just regular LCD TVs with LED backlights rather than CCFL) and we're already starting to see it with 'Quantum Dot' displays (just regular LCDs with a QD-over-LED backlight).

May 2, 2016 | 07:07 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Recently got the BenQ XL2730Z and thankfully I have not experienced any ghosting whatsoever - I was also very pleased to see that the firmware version of my monitor was ver002 (thanks to Ryan and Allyn)

I have to say though, perhaps it's because I haven't played any demanding enough games but so far adaptive sync isn't exactly as amazing as everyone has said to be.
I definitely don't think it's worth locking myself to one particular GPU vendor that is.

Maybe once I start playing a game more fast-paced like Overwatch I'll be able to notice it more, but so far adaptive sync is pretty unimpressive.

May 3, 2016 | 06:21 AM - Posted by Spunjji

I found it definitely works best for fast-paced games where you're likely to see tearing and the latency hit of V-Sync is most noticeable.

Driving in GTA V is an example of somewhere where it helps tremendously.

May 3, 2016 | 06:09 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Yeah, update on my original post - FreeSync makes Overwatch absolutely buttery smooth.
It looks amazing, I'm very impressed

May 2, 2016 | 08:21 PM - Posted by H1tman_Actua1

The level of inept comments is off the F$$$ chain.

May 2, 2016 | 10:46 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

The only comment in this comment section that has any issues with it is yours.

May 4, 2016 | 04:59 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Hahahaha fuck yes it is brother.

May 3, 2016 | 02:28 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Gay faggy PEASANTY Janky as fuck AMD trash. And there's jeemrey sucking AMD Dick, again, FUCKING pathetic. Fuck AMD and their ultra high failure rates, ugly as fuck aesthetics, Apple as fuck marketing bullshit that all you broke FUCKING Bernie bot bitches beat off too, and most of all, FUCK YIU JERMEMY YOU FUCKING CANADIAN. Cant wait til my NIGGA trump wins and we invade your shitty little slurpee Indian loving lumberjack country. Faggot.

May 3, 2016 | 06:22 AM - Posted by Spunjji

Uhhh, right.

Why are anonymous comments allowed here again? :/

May 3, 2016 | 08:32 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

The webmaster should display anonymous IP.

May 3, 2016 | 02:44 PM - Posted by Jeremy Hellstrom

Because they are absolutely hilarious?  That and a page view from a bigot counts as much as does one from a real person ... but we do like the real people more.

May 3, 2016 | 06:13 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

yeah I'm not gonna lie every time I see that guy post I laugh my ass off
I'm surprised you guys haven't been deleting his comments though, it could be pretty off-putting to people new to the site and they see that guy just having a ball in the comments.

May 4, 2016 | 06:10 PM - Posted by Jeremy Hellstrom

Deleteing the comments counts as interaction though ... triggers a whole different way for them to display their asshattery.

Disemvowelling can be amusing though.

May 3, 2016 | 11:10 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

This was kinda funny - "Cant wait til my NIGGA trump wins and we invade your shitty little slurpee Indian loving lumberjack country."

The rest of it is obviously coming straight out of a stinking worn-out asshole...

May 3, 2016 | 02:28 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

May 3, 2016 | 02:36 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

k

May 3, 2016 | 08:16 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Is a 16:10 panel too much to ask?

May 3, 2016 | 12:50 PM - Posted by dwolvin

Sadly, yes (probably).

I feel you though, that's my favorite screen shape most of the time, but I have to admit that upgrading to a 1440p monitor made 16:9 OK...

May 3, 2016 | 12:10 PM - Posted by Bri (not verified)

Don't forget about over/under clocking your monitor. Have a 34UM67 successfully running at 30-75hz.

May 4, 2016 | 09:22 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I love that little barb at the end of the article, the picture showing PCPer's ghosting with the FreeSync panel from like 2 years ago, as though it is indicative of FreeSync performance today...

May 4, 2016 | 01:34 PM - Posted by Jeremy Hellstrom

How in the hell is using the first of our own Freesync screenshots I found in a search a barb?

May 4, 2016 | 12:12 PM - Posted by Kingkookaluke (not verified)

I really need to put together an AMD build. Waiting to see the Zen parts though.

May 4, 2016 | 05:00 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

JESUS YOURE A FAGGOT.

May 4, 2016 | 06:54 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Christians probably won't appreciate you calling their savior a faggot.

Just sayin'.

May 4, 2016 | 04:36 PM - Posted by Kingkookaluke (not verified)

I think that he was saying that the barb was using an old photo of something that has been resolved now. I think that I remember hearing that the ghosting was improved by a firmware update or something.

May 4, 2016 | 04:38 PM - Posted by Jeremy Hellstrom

So just another example of the bizarre conspiracy theories some seem to prefer over reality?

May 5, 2016 | 02:33 PM - Posted by Maonayze (not verified)

No, but it gives the distinct impression that the ghosting still exists. Actually I can see no reason to put that photo comparison in the article in the first place if I am honest. A photo comparison of a game with tearing against a game without tearing would have been more appropriate to this article IMHO. :-)