Report: AMD Socket AM4 Compatible with Existing AM2/AM3 Coolers

Subject: Cases and Cooling, Processors | May 25, 2016 - 12:54 PM |
Tagged: Zen, socket AM3, cpu cooler, amd, AM4

Upgrading to the upcoming Zen processors won't require the purchase of a new cooler or adapter, according to a report from Computer Base (German language).

The AMD Wraith Cooler (image credit: The Tech Report)

Answering a customer question on Facebook, a Thermalright representative responded (translated):

"For all AMD fans, we have good news. As we advance AMD has assured the new AM4 processors and motherboards are put on the usual base-fixing, which is standard for AM2. To follow all the Thermalright coolers are used on the Zen processors without additional accessories!"

This news is hardly surprising considering AMD has used the same format for some time, much as Intel's current CPUs still work with coolers designed for LGA 1156.

May 25, 2016 | 01:02 PM - Posted by Chaitanya Shukla

Hardly surprising but its a good thing as I have couple of CPU coolers lying around which I won't mind repurposing for new PC.

May 25, 2016 | 01:19 PM - Posted by ninja (not verified)

well the mounting brackets on amd's coolers are superior to intel's, trying to mount an intel cooler is asking for trouble

May 25, 2016 | 04:12 PM - Posted by xxampi (not verified)

I guess you mean stock coolers, cuz in most of the aftermarket cpu coolers there aren´t included that mounting brackets XD

January 12, 2017 | 11:04 AM - Posted by nvidiaperspective (not verified)

pushpin junk

January 22, 2017 | 10:47 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

how to snap a motherboard in half....use intel pushpin :D

May 25, 2016 | 01:19 PM - Posted by Mobile_Dom

So everyone should just continue to buy Hyper 212 Evo's basically

May 25, 2016 | 08:08 PM - Posted by taisserrootseasyaccount (not verified)

Cryorig m9a says hello

May 25, 2016 | 09:49 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Naw those suck now.. only noobs buy them. Cryorig and Be Quiet! offer quieter and better performing models for the same dosh.

January 12, 2017 | 11:05 AM - Posted by nvidiaperspective (not verified)

i always went the xigmatek route

May 25, 2016 | 03:18 PM - Posted by Prodeous

that is awesome news. No extra mounting needed.

Good for AMD. Now just release AM4 and Excavator APU.. I need to replace my aging AM3 platform. Want NVME

May 25, 2016 | 03:23 PM - Posted by JohnGR

GREAT. :D

Considering that power consumption on the AM4 CPUs and APUs would be probably lower that that on AM3+ and FM+ CPUs and APUs, even medium performance coolers for AM3, will look top solutions for the AM4.

January 12, 2017 | 11:08 AM - Posted by nvidiaperspective (not verified)

I know they are using less power but i thought when you make something smaller it normally produces more heat? you know like quantum computers run super hot.. idk

May 25, 2016 | 03:31 PM - Posted by Butthurt Beluga

So, because I'm an idiot and lack basic reading comprehension - if I have a CPU fan that is compatible with an AM3 socket, it will also be compatible with the AM4 as well?

If so then that's what I've been waiting on to start my custom water loop.

May 25, 2016 | 06:01 PM - Posted by Cataclysm_ZA

I believe the mounting bracket has been the same since socket AM2, so yes.

May 25, 2016 | 07:27 PM - Posted by patrik (not verified)

You can mount a socket 754, 939 or 940 cooler on AM3 for example.

The only thing they changed at one point was 4 screws instead of two like the old 754,939 and 940 used but the brackets dimensions are the same so I can still use my old tower cooler used on my Athlon64 3200+ socket 754 on a FM2+ system. Its in use on a AM3 system right now and AM3 coolers can be used with FM2/FM2+ to so.

So you can use a 13 year old cooler on a modern AMD system if you want to, and yes there where some realy good coolers back then to.

May 26, 2016 | 03:23 AM - Posted by JohnGR

I have an Asetek Microchill for 939 socket. I only had to drill four new holes in the corners of this metal plate

and find four long screws to be able to mount it on my AM3 socket. Using it for ages.

May 25, 2016 | 06:01 PM - Posted by Cataclysm_ZA

I believe the mounting bracket has been the same since socket AM2, so yes.

December 17, 2016 | 11:13 AM - Posted by Sabbilon (not verified)

Not the same.

May 25, 2016 | 05:06 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

What about having a decent CPU in the first place? AMD knows how to prioritize for sure... Those poor peasants can keep the same fan, I am sure they are all relieved now... Jesus...

May 25, 2016 | 06:02 PM - Posted by Cataclysm_ZA

They already changed their entire lineup to ship with the new cooler designs, and the Wraith ships with the higher-end FX desktop processors. These new fans are worlds away in terms of noise and performance compared to the old stock solutions.

May 25, 2016 | 06:28 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

"Those poor peasants"

This is how I know you don't actually care one bit about it, you just want to insult people who own something different than you.

By the way, how many years did it take Intel to go from Netburst to a "decent CPU"? I'll give you a hint, it was almost 6 years.

May 25, 2016 | 06:31 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Correction: it was a little over 6-1/2 years, actually.

Netburst - first released November 2000
Core - first released July 2006

May 25, 2016 | 06:37 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Math in your head fail you? lol

5-1/2 years.

May 25, 2016 | 06:38 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Yep. Good catch.

I'm'ma go get more coffee now.

December 28, 2016 | 12:10 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I know you are not very experienced, and try to hide behind some trolling, but who would like to replace a 200-300 USD 0 noise water cooling system? You?

May 25, 2016 | 11:01 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

why is this news? pretty much every single AMD cooler is compatible with any other AMD socket.

I can slap an AM3 965 cooler on an FM2

its all the same...its all been the same forever.. unlike intel *aghh*

May 26, 2016 | 07:06 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

"its all been the same forever.. unlike intel"

That's why it's news. Granted, it's not BIG news. But AMD went back to the drawing board and started from scratch for their new CPU, so who knows, maybe they had to design a new cooler mount system for it, too. It's reasonable to wonder whether their new designs might need a different CPU cooler mount. I know I was wondering.

May 26, 2016 | 10:02 PM - Posted by -- (not verified)

I think they understand "fit its not broke, don't fix it"

intels cooler motto seems to be...if its not broke, we'll fix that!