GamersNexus Disassembles an EVGA Hybrid Liquid Cooler

Subject: Cases and Cooling | August 1, 2016 - 09:38 PM |
Tagged: evga, asetek, liquid cooler, closed-loop

Well this is interesting. GamersNexus has about a twenty minute video (and a couple-page editorial) where they disassemble an Asetek / EVGA liquid cooler for GPUs. He spends the first half of the video with a discussion of previous videos, an overview of the industry and its split between vendors and manufacturers, and an explanation of various components including the difference between CPU and GPU plates. The second half of the video disassembles the cooler, talking about it as he goes.

The disassembly begins at ~9 minutes.

The availability of closed-loop coolers introduced me to water cooling. While I could be very careful to do everything right, I just don't trust myself to assemble a liquid-filled (non-conducting or otherwise) component that close to electronics. Part of that could be attributed to my childhood, where a dead PC meant no computer for x number of weeks, or months, because we could barely afford one at all. An assembled (and warrantied) cooler, though, while still intimidating when the tubes get even slightly torqued, is clearly designed to go in hassle-free and remain working without maintenance. That's a good part of why, while it's pretty obvious what is inside these units, seeing it first-hand is fascinating (at least for me).

Source: GamersNexus

August 1, 2016 | 10:45 PM - Posted by quest4glory

Steve has a pretty close relationship with Asetek. (NOT that there's anything wrong with that.) It is kind of bizarre to me, considering the backlash that company gets from people who despise patents, but hey, everybody has bills to pay.

August 1, 2016 | 10:26 PM - Posted by KingKookaluke (not verified)

Who's da Hippie? He did a good job of describing the coolers.

August 1, 2016 | 10:28 PM - Posted by KingKookaluke (not verified)

Being fair. I had long hair when I was young as well!

August 1, 2016 | 10:32 PM - Posted by KingKookaluke (not verified)

This must be the guy that Ryan interviewed last week. Welcome to the crew.

August 1, 2016 | 11:05 PM - Posted by Scott Michaud

Nope. GamersNexus has no affiliation with PC Perspective. I just found the video interesting. (Unless you're referring to me. I've been here since 2011.)

August 2, 2016 | 01:47 AM - Posted by Tim Verry

Nah, Steve has his own site (Gamer's Nexus) though he's a cool guy. I met him the last time I was at GTC.

August 1, 2016 | 10:36 PM - Posted by KingKookaluke (not verified)

I think that with this guy on board..I've a better chance of winning that car!

Dutch