CES 2018: EVGA Shows 2200W 80 Plus Platinum Power Supply

Subject: Cases and Cooling | January 10, 2018 - 12:40 PM |
Tagged: CES, CES 2018, evga, power supply, PSU, 2200W, 2200 watts, mining, 80 Plus Platinum

Positioned casually amist the current and upcoming power supply lineup at EVGA's suite at CES is the SuperNOVA 2200 P2, which offers a mere 2200 watts of 80 Plus Platinum power with 183.3A from the +12V rail. I will let that sink in for a moment.

Naturally this level of power will require more than the typical 110V mains power in the US, with 220V required. It seems safe to assume that the biggest customer of such a PSU at this point would be the mining community, making the need for 220V a non-issue for the dedicated miners among us (who needs an electric range in the kitchen, anyhow?).

We didn't get specifics on release date or pricing, but this is an impressive piece of hardware - especially considering the Platinum efficiency.

Source: EVGA

January 10, 2018 | 12:50 PM - Posted by Anonymously Anonymous (not verified)

can't remove the dryer, i mean i need my clothes to be dry. But seriously, who cooks anyway? cocoa crispies is where it's at along with beer, frozen mexican style dinners, sourcream, and milk and some OJ.
waste of space in that room better used for a new mining rig

I kid of course, but you know someone is going to do it

January 10, 2018 | 01:11 PM - Posted by Naruto Uzumaki (not verified)

That 30 amp plug behind the dryer should be a dead give away. Just use your mining rig as the heat source for your dryer. It's called recycling.

January 10, 2018 | 04:33 PM - Posted by Anonymously Anonymous (not verified)

I thought about that too, but that is not a mod I'd want to undertake. Adn besides, a mining rig will be nowhere near efficient at producting heat as an actual heating element is, a lot of that sweet electricty is dissapated as serious number crunching.
I suspect, it would take several hours to properly dry a full load of clothes for a large capacity mining rig dryer instead of the 45 min it takes now with a heating element.

Anyone out there willing to find out?

I kid, it's been a slow day at work.

January 10, 2018 | 09:18 PM - Posted by PixyMisa

The laws of thermodynamics want to have a word with you.

(2200W consumed = 2200W of heat, no matter what you do with it in between.)

January 12, 2018 | 02:45 PM - Posted by Naruto Uzumaki (not verified)

ΔE=q+w you mean this one? I Think work would want to have a word with you unless efficiency finds you first but according to you it's always 0 or 100.

January 12, 2018 | 08:49 PM - Posted by Pink Gnome (not verified)

I think he's right on this one. A processor will produce negligible work (I can't really wrap my head around the concept of work as it relates to transistors, but i seriously doubt switching those transistors will take too much) so the vast majority of the energy must become heat. I can't see it being significantly less efficient than a metal coil heater.

January 10, 2018 | 11:12 PM - Posted by X-mass

2.2Kw is not a lot in Europe
I'm currently boiling water to make tea on my 3KW kettle
In the UK the standard per room ring main can handle ~7.5KW.
As I said that's per room, and that's just for the sockets, there is a completely separate ring main for lights
And that's if your using the standard 2 of the 3 phases, but any house can be wired for 415V three phase per room and that can supply 13Kw.

BTW this why Brits start laughing in the Da Vinci code when Robert Langdon is shown making tea in a microwave??? That's what fast boil kettles are for! I'm pleased to see that apparently the US have been influenced by their more civilized neighbors to the north, and started to adopt them as well.

I know that the US is wedded to 110v but quite a few countries have made the transition between 110V to 220V. It produces a much more reliable electrical circuit. Europe has basically standardized on a 220 to 240V range.

Because I'm a Brit, I think the UK per room ring main, with 3 pin fused sockets is the best solution, especially as it has protected square pins along there length so they cannot be touched when either the positive or the neutral is live. Yes there design could be improved by making it impossible for them to sit pin up on the floor or allow the pins to be folded down, but both these problems have been solved

Thanks for the ongoing coverage - just wondering where my podcast is.... :(

January 11, 2018 | 06:54 AM - Posted by Jabbadap

Hmm out of curiosity... What Fuses do you brittons use? This will need 16A fuse @ 230V, which is not the norm here in Finland(mostly 10A@230V per room electric sockets).

January 11, 2018 | 08:11 PM - Posted by Øystein (not verified)

In Norway we have 16A and 230V atleast so NP :)

January 12, 2018 | 02:40 PM - Posted by Naruto Uzumaki (not verified)

Well the 200-220 15A 50Hz gives it away as not a product for north american consumers. I think i'll stick with my 3 phase welder for now.

January 11, 2018 | 02:46 AM - Posted by Baldrick's Trousers (not verified)

POWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER!!!