Subject: Graphics Cards | December 12, 2017 - 07:51 PM | Ryan Shrout
Tagged: nvidia, titan, titan v, Volta, video, teardown, unboxing
NVIDIA launched the new Titan V graphics card last week, a $2999 part targeted not at gamers (thankfully) but instead at developers of machine learning applications. Based on the GV100 GPU and 12GB of HBM2 memory, the Titan V is an incredibly powerful graphics card. We have every intention of looking at the gaming performance of this card as a "preview" of potential consumer Volta cards that may come out next year. (This is identical to our stance of testing the Vega Frontier Edition cards.)
But for now, enjoy this unboxing and teardown video that takes apart the card to get a good glimpse of that GV100 GPU.
A couple of quick interesting notes:
- This implementation has 25% of the memory and ROPs disabled, giving us 12GB of HBM2, a 3072-bit bus, and 96 ROPs.
- Clock speeds in our testing look to be much higher than the base AND boost ratings.
- So far, even though the price takes this out of the gaming segment completely, we are impressed with some of the gaming results we have found.
- The cooler might LOOK the same, but it definitely is heavier than the cooler and build for the Titan Xp.
- Champagne. It's champagne colored.
- Double precision performance is insanely good, spanking the Titan Xp and Vega so far in many tests.
- More soon!
Subject: General Tech | August 3, 2017 - 01:26 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: amd, Threadripper, unboxing, angel hair
"We show you how "easily" the AMD Threadripper comes out of the box, and some hilarity ensues, and then we take you through the simple steps of Threadripper installation. I would consider this a PSA as well because I destroyed the socket on my TR4 motherboard."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- MD Ryzen Threadripper 1950x and 1920x @ Kitguru
- Intel's Coffee Lake CPUs won't work with 200-Series motherboards @ The Inquirer
- Why the Bitcoin Network Just Split In Half and Why It Matters @ Slashdot
- How to Write iptables Rules for IPv6 @ Linux.com
- Qualcomm, Win Semi reportedly to team up for 5G mobile infrastructure @ DigiTimes
- Grab a fork! Unravelling the Internet of Things' standards spaghetti @ The Register
- In the red corner: Malware-breeding AI. And in the blue corner: The AI trying to stop it @ The Register
- AK Racing ONYX Deluxe Gaming Chair Review @ NikKTech