Subject: Networking | February 9, 2016 - 11:24 AM | Sebastian Peak
Tagged: wireless repeater, wi-fi, signal repeater, RP-AC68U, router, dual-band, asus, ac1900
ASUS has announced a new high-end wireless repeater, and the RP-AC68U boasts dual-band wireless AC1900 speeds, and features 5 Gigabit Ethernet ports to add wired devices to the network.
"ASUS RP-AC68U works by connecting wirelessly to an existing router and extending the Wi-Fi signal to areas of poor coverage, which are often a problem in large or multi-floor homes. With its blindingly-fast up to 1900Mbps combined speeds (600Mbps on the 2.4GHz band and 1300Mbps on the 5GHz band), RP-AC68U is the perfect companion for extending the coverage of the latest 802.11ac routers, but it can also be used with routers supporting any older Wi-Fi standards."
The boxy shape is a big contrast from the giant spider-like designs we've seen from recent high-end routers, and inside the enclosure there are a total of 3 transmit and 4 receive antennas to extend the range of your dual-band 802.11ac network.
The RP-AC68U has five Gigabit Ethernet ports on the back, which ASUS says "allow users to convert any wired network devices to wireless operation", and there's a USB 3.0 port to allow additional devices to be added to the network.
- I/O ports:
- 5 x Gigabit Ethernet LAN RJ45
- 1 x USB 3.0 port
- Antennas: 4 x Internal antennas (3 transmit, 4 receive)
- Memory: 128MB Flash / 256MB RAM
- Operating Frequency: Dual band 2.4GHz & 5GHz
- Wi-Fi Data Rate*:
- 802.11ac: up to 1300Mbps
- 802.11n: Up to 600Mbps
- 802.11a/g: Up to 54Mbps
- 802.11b: Up to 11Mbps
- *Quoted network speeds and bandwidth based on current IEEE specifications. Actual performance may be affected by network and service provider factors, interface type, and other conditions. Connected devices must be compatible for best results.
- 802.11ac Specification:
- MIMO: 3 x 4
- 20/40/80MHz bandwidth
- WPS button
- Power button
- Reset button
- WPS support
- Access Point
- Media Bridge
- Dimensions & weight: 178 x 106 x 106 mm; Weight: 870g
Pricing and availabilty were not announced. Full press release after the break.