Subject: Cases and Cooling | October 7, 2014 - 05:42 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: seasonic, Platinum-1050, modular psu, kilowatt, hybrid silent fan, 80 Plus Platinum
Lee just wrapped up a review of Seasonic's 1050 and 1200W Platinum PSU's but why not revisit the powerful 1050W PSU in [H]ard|OCP's latest PSU review. Their testing methodology differs from Lee's as does the hardware used to test it. This way you get even more information about how this PSU functions under differing conditions and you will be more informed about your possible purchase. Reading the whole review is the best way to fully understand this fully modular PSU's strengths but if you insist on skipping to the conclusion then this PSU is both better than the competition and less expensive. The only constructive criticism that [H] could offer was that it does not really improve in any major way over Seasonic's previouslt released 1000W PSU.
"Seasonic is one of our long-time favorites when it comes to truly high-end power supplies. The new PLATINUM-1050 PSU claims to deliver excellent power efficiency and does so with a fully modular design. Seasonic is often known designing products with excellent sound profiles. Does the PLATINUM-1050 fit the profile?"
Here are some more Cases & Cooling reviews from around the web:
- Xilence Performance A Series 730W Non-Modular Power Supply @ eTeknix
- Antec EDGE 750W @ Kitguru
- Rosewill Fortress 750 W @ techPowerUp
- Super Flower Leadex Gold 650w @ HardwareHeaven
- Chieftec A-80 Series 650W Non-Modular Power Supply @ eTeknix
- Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W @ eTeknix
- Silverstone Nightjar 520W Passive @ eTeknix
- Seasonic Platinum Fanless 520W @ eTeknix
- Enermax Revolution X't 430 W @ techPowerUp
- be quiet! SFX Power 2 300W @ eTeknix
Introduction and Features
Today we have a double header for your reading enjoyment. Not one, but two Platinum Series power supplies from Seasonic. The two latest additions to Seasonic’s flagship product line are the Platinum 1050W and Platinum 1200W PSUs. The power supplies feature tight voltage regulation (±1~2%), quiet operation (fanless mode), and high efficiency (80Plus Platinum certified). Both PSUs are fully modular and come backed by a 7-year warranty.
Seasonic is a well known and highly respected OEM that produces some of the best PC power supplies on the market today. In addition to supplying power supplies to many big-name companies who re-brand the units with their own name, Seasonic also sells a full line of power supplies under the Seasonic name. Both new power supplies feature an improved Hybrid Fan control circuit and upgraded copper conduction bars on the main PCB, which together help increase efficiency and performance.
Seasonic Platinum 1050W & 1200W Special Features
Ultra Tight Voltage Regulation Improved load voltage regulation keeps the voltage fluctuations on the 12V output within +2% and -0% (no negative tolerance), and on the 3.3V and 5V outputs between +1% and -1%, which (under 80 Plus load conditions) results in smooth and stable operation.
Seasonic Hybrid Silent Fan Control The industry first, advanced three-phased thermal control balances between silence and cooling. The Hybrid Silent Fan Control provides three operational stages: Fanless, Silent and Cooling Mode. In addition, a selector switch is provided to allow for manual selection between the Seasonic S2FC (fan control without Fanless Mode) or S3FC (fan control including Fanless Mode).
Reduced Cooling Fan Hysteresis is achieved by a new fan control IC, which optimizes how frequently the fan switches on and off. At 25°C ambient temperature the fan turns on when the load rises above 30% (±5%) and turns off when the load drops below 20% % (±5%). Due to this lag in response the fan switches on and off less frequently, which reduces power loss in Fanless and Silent Mode.
Dual Copper Conduction Bars on the power supply PCB help reduce impedance and minimize voltage drop, which further improves efficiency and performance.
80Plus Platinum The Platinum 1050W & 1200W power supplies are certified in accordance to the 80PLUS organization's Platinum standards, offering performance and energy savings with up to ≥92% efficiency and a true power factor of greater than 0.9 PF.
Full Modular Design (DC to DC) The Seasonic Platinum Series power supplies feature an integrated DC connector panel with onboard VRM (Voltage Regulator Module) that enables not only near perfect DC-to-DC conversion with reduction of current loss/impedance and increase of efficiency but also a fully modular DC cabling that enables maximum flexibility of integration and forward compatibility.
Seasonic Platinum Series 1050W & 1200W PSU Key Features:
• 80Plus Platinum certified super high efficiency
• Ultra tight voltage regulation
• Fully Modular Cable design with flat ribbon-style cables
• Seasonic DC Connector Panel with integrated VRMs
• DC to DC Converter design
• Hybrid Silent Fan Control (3 modes of operation: Fanless, Silent and Cooling)
• High-quality Sanyo Denki San Ace dual ball bearing fan with PWM
• Ultra-tight voltage regulation (+2% and -0% +12V rail)
• Dual copper conduction bars on PCB for improved efficiency and performance
• Supports multi-GPU technologies
• Conductive polymer aluminum solid capacitors
• High reliability 105°C Japanese made electrolytic capacitors
• ErP Lot 6 2013 compliant and Intel Haswell processor ready
• High current Gold plated terminals with Easy Swap connectors
• Active PFC (0.99 PF typical) with Universal AC input
• 7-Year manufacturer's warranty worldwide