Subject: General Tech | September 15, 2016 - 01:58 PM | Ryan Shrout
Tagged: VR, video, tesla, Silverstone, podcast, nvidia, msi, MoCA, Maximus VIII Formula, MasterLiquid, holodeck, GFE, geforce experience, euclideon, cooler master, asus, actiontec
PC Perspective Podcast #417 - 09/15/16
Join us this week as we discuss the Maximus VIII Forumla, MoCA adapters, GFE logins and more!
The URL for the podcast is: http://pcper.com/podcast - Share with your friends!
- iTunes - Subscribe to the podcast directly through the Store (audio only)
- Google Play - Subscribe to our audio podcast directly through Google Play!
- RSS - Subscribe through your regular RSS reader (audio only)
- MP3 - Direct download link to the MP3 file
Hosts: Ryan Shrout, Allyn Malventano, Josh Walrath and Jeremy Hellstrom
Week in Review:
This episode is brought to you by Casper! (Use code “pcper”)
News items of interest:
Hardware/Software Picks of the Week
Introduction and Technical Specifications
Courtesy of ASUS
The Maximus VIII Formula is the latest board in the ROG (Republic of Gamer) board line, featuring the Armor overlay common to the Formula and Sabertooth boards, integrated RGB LEDs throughout the board's surface, and support for the Intel Z170 chipset. The base board aesthetics feature the ROG standard black and red in an ATX form factor. The board's integrated Intel Z170 chipset gives the board support for the latest Intel LGA1151 Skylake processor line as well as Dual Channel DDR4 memory. The Maximus VIII Formula can be found in the wild for an MSRP of $399, making it more expensive than most offerings but justified in light of the integrated features and design quality of the board.
Courtesy of ASUS
Courtesy of ASUS
ASUS integrated the following features into the Maximus VIII Formula board: four SATA 3 ports; two SATA-Express ports; one U.2 32Gbps port; one M.2 PCIe x4 capable port; an Intel I219-V Gigabit NIC; 2x2 802.11ac WiFI adapter; three PCI-Express x16 slots; three PCI-Express x1 slots; on-board power, reset, MemOK!, Clear CMOS, and USB BIOS Flashback buttons; LN2 Mode jumper; Aura LED 12V power header; 2-digit Q-Code LED diagnostic display; Q-LED support; ROG SupremeFX 2015 8-Channel audio subsystem; integrated DisplayPort and HDMI video ports; and USB 3.0 and 3.1 Type-A and Type-C port support.
Courtesy of ASUS
The Maximus VIII Formula features an impressive 10 phase digital power system in an 8+2 configuration, providing more than enough power to the CPU/GPU for whatever you choose to throw at it. The power delivery system itself consists of Texas Instruments NexFET MOSFETs, MicroFine alloy chokes, and 10k-rated Japanese-sourced black-metallic capacitors.
Subject: Motherboards | December 30, 2015 - 04:06 PM | Sebastian Peak
Tagged: Z170, water cooling, water block, Maximus VIII Formula, EKWB, ek, crosschill, ATX motherboard, ASUS ROG, asus
ASUS ROG has announced the Maximus VIII Formula, a premium ATX motherboard with integrated EK hybrid liquid cooling which allows users to choose liquid or air cooling for the board's hottest components.
"The latest ROG Z170 motherboard now comes with the exclusive CrossChill EK hybrid cooling block! ROG teamed up with the guys at EK to create a high-conductivity channel, so you will be ready for liquid-cooling goodness right out-of-the-box. Don’t worry if you don’t intend to upgrade to liquid-cooling straight away, because this also runs on air cooling. Why spend more money on a third-party waterblock when it’s already built-in and looks this good?"
In addition to the integrated water cooling support the Maximus VIII Formula includes the usual bells and whistles we've come to expect from these ROG motherboards, including advanced overclocking support and premium audio, and the Formula also offers RGB headers and lighting controls and "ROG Armor". There is also advanced storage support from both M.2 and U.2 connectors, and provides advanced wireless via built-in 2x2 802.11ac with an external antenna included.
Specifications from ASUS:
- Processor: LGA1151 socket for 6th-generation Intel Core i7 / i5 / i3 / Pentium / Celeron processors
- Chipset: Intel Z170 Express
- Memory: 4x DIMMs, up to a maximum of 64GB, DDR4 3733 (OC), Intel Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
- Expansion slots:
- 2x PCIe 3.0 x16 slots (single at x16, dual at x8/x8 mode)
- 1x PCIe 3.0 x16 slot (maximum at x4 mode)
- 3x PCIe 2.0 x1 slots
- Graphics (Integrated Intel HD Graphics processor):
- DisplayPort 1.2 with maximum resolution of 4096 x 2034 at 60Hz
- HDMI with maximum resolution of 4096 x 2160 at 24Hz
- Intel InTru 3D / Quick Sync Video / Clear Video HD Technology / Insider
- Multi-GPU: Two-way/quad-GPU NVIDIA® SLI and AMD three-way/quad-GPU CrossFireX technology
- 1x U.2 (supports PCIe 3.0 x4 NVM Express storage)
- 1x M.2 Socket 3 with M Key, supports 2242/2260/2280/22110 devices
- 2x SATA Express
- 8x SATA 6.0 Gbps (4 shared with SATA Express)
- Intel I219-V Gigabit LAN and ASUS LANGuard
- Integrated 2×2 dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi with external antenna included
- 2x USB 3.1 (1x Type-A; 1x Type-C)
- 10x USB 3.0 ports (6 on back panel, 4 mid-board)
- 4x USB 2.0 ports (mid-board)
- Audio: ROG SupremeFX 2015 8-channel high-definition audio
- ESS ES9023P high-definition DAC
- 2V RMS Headphone Amp into (32-600 ohms)
- SupremeFX shielding technology
- Sonic SenseAmp
- Jack-detection, multi-streaming, front-panel mic jack-retasking
- Optical S/PDIF-out port on back panel
- Dimensions / form factor: ATX, 12.0 x 9.6in (30.5 x 24.4cm)
Pricing and availabilty were not announced. Full press release after the break.