Bringing PC Gaming to the Couch
PC gaming lives at the cutting edge, but let’s face it, sometimes it’s nice to kick back on the couch to enjoy a game. Not long ago, we were stuck with controllers or draping long wires across our floors, but as technology has advanced, those compromises are becoming a thing of the past. Today, we’re looking at the latest combo from Corsair with the K63 Wireless Mechanical Gaming Keyboard and their custom-fit Lapboard.
Are the days of balancing keyboards on our legs and mousing from couch cushions finally behind us? Let’s find out.
- MSRP: $159.99 (Amazon.com)
- Keyboard Compatibility: Corsair K63 Wireless Mechanical Keyboard
- Cushion: Full length memory foam
- Mouse Pad: Soft surface, replaceable
- Dimensions (Mouse Pad): 10.44” (L) x 8.26” (W) x 0.05” (H)
- Dimensions (Lapboard): 26.4” (L) x 10.9” (W) x 2.1” (H)
- Accessories: x2 spare retention clips, x2 spare retention hooks
- Weight: 4.07lbs (without keyboard)
- Warranty: Two years
K63 Wireless Mechanical Gaming Keyboard:
- Key Switches: Cherry MX Red
- Key Lifespan: 50 Million Actuations
- Layout: Tenkeyless, 87 Keys
- Wired Connectivity: USB 3.0 or USB 3.1 Type-A
- Wireless Connectivity: Ultra-fast 1ms 2.4GHz or Bluetooth® 4.2 + LE
- Battery: Lithium Ion (Battery Charging Charges via USB to computer)
- Battery Life: Up to 15 hours at normal brightness, 25 hours (low brightness), 75 hours no backlighting
- Report Rate: 1000Hz
- Keyboard Rollover: Full Key (NKRO) with 100% Anti-Ghosting
- Illumination: Ice Blue LED
- Media Controls: Yes, Dedicated
- Macro Keys: No
- USB Pass-through: No
- Adjustable Height: Yes
- Weight: 2.4lbs (1.09kg)
- Warranty: Two years
Corsair Gaming K63 Wireless Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Starting with the keyboard, the K63 comes in the traditional black and yellow packaging of Corsair products. The highlight here is definitely the wireless connectivity with rapid 1ms response time. We also see the usual callout to Cherry MX style keys, which are well known for their high quality standard. Interestingly, the K63 Wireless is only available in linear-style Cherry MX Red at this time.
Taking it out of the box, it’s clear that Corsair hasn’t skimped on materials compared to their other keyboards. The K63 is remarkably similar to the larger, wired K68 we reviewed here, minus the RGB backlighting, dust, and spill resistance. Apart from being wireless, this variant is also tenkeyless, which means it lacks the full number pad. As a result, we also find some of our media controls shifted to the left side of the board. It’s heavy, coming in at just under two-and-a-half pounds and offers very little flex thanks to the steel mounting plate under the keys.
Subject: General Tech | May 7, 2018 - 01:33 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: corsair, K63, wireless keyboard, Dark Core RGB SE, wireless mouse, mm1000, lapboard, Qi
The Tech Report combined four related Corsair products together for a review, as they may all curl up on your lap together. The K63 wireless keyboard you see below sports Cherry Red switches and several of the function keys have uses specific to HTPC and Android TV to ensure you can stay put on your couch. TR recommends turning it off between uses as the sleep mode is not very effective at reducing power draw. The Dark Core RGB SE mouse is also wireless; charging via Qi as opposed to using replaceable batteries and it too comes with the recommendation for owners to turn it off when not in use.
Tying these together is the MM1000 mouse pad, which is where you charge your mouse or compatible device, as it is a Qi charging station. There is a charging spot on the mat as well as a plug for a puck if you need the space on the mouse mat or have multiple devices to charge. All of these combine on the K63 Wireless Lapboard to form a perfect excuse not to get up from the couch.
"Corsair's K63 Wireless keyboard, Dark Core RGB SE mouse, MM1000 mouse pad, and K63 Wireless Gaming Lapboard promise a seamless transition from gaming at a desk to gaming in the living room. We took these peripherals from point A to point B and back again to see just how they unplug and play."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Tt eSPORTS NEMESIS Switch Optical RGB Gaming Mouse Review @ NikKTech
- Razer Abyssus Essential @ Kitguru
- HyperX ALLOY Elite RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review @ NikKTech
- ACGAM AG6X Mechanical Keyboard @ TechPowerUp
- AIZO RETRO Classic Typewriter Backlit Mechanical Keyboard Review @ NikKTech