Subject: General Tech | August 24, 2018 - 12:29 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: Foreshadow, Intel, hyperthreading, L1TF, spectre, security, patch
In a move which should not come as a shock to anyone, Intel removed the wording which was revealed yesterday along with their Foreshadow patch for desktop CPUs prohibiting publishing comparative performance results. The reason Intel would rather you didn't post performance comparisons, pre and post patch, is that along with the microcode update HyperThreading needs to be disabled which has a noticeable effect on any multi-threaded application. Debian were of great help with this, refusing to deply the microcode patch with the gag order in place.
Red Hat foreshadowed what you will see with their results from the server chip patches, The Register notes as being "from a +30 per cent gain, to -50 per cent loss and beyond. Most HT testing, however, showed losses in the 0-30 per cent range."
"Intel has backtracked on the license for its latest microcode update that mitigates security vulnerabilities in its processors – after the previous wording outlawed public benchmarking of the chips."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- IRC Turns 30 @ Slashdot
- Intel reportedly blocked an ARM-based version of the Surface Go @ The Inquirer
- Teardown chaps strip away magic from Magic Leap's nerd goggles @ The Register
- Now you can say you have Windows 95 as an app. Good luck explaining what for @ The Inquirer
- Hackers Stole Personal Data of 2 Million T-Mobile Customers @ Slashdot
- Reeven Twila RGB LED Light Strip @ Benchmark Reviews
Subject: General Tech | August 16, 2018 - 03:16 PM | Alex Lustenberg
Tagged: xeon, video, Turning, Threadripper, ssd, Samsung, QLC, podcast, PA32UC, nvidia, nand, L1TF, Intel, DOOM Eternal, asus, amd, 660p, 2990wx, 2950x
PC Perspective Podcast #509 - 08/16/18
Join us this week for discussion on Modded Thinkpads, EVGA SuperNOVA PSUs, and more!
The URL for the podcast is: http://pcper.com/podcast - Share with your friends!
- iTunes - Subscribe to the podcast directly through the iTunes Store (audio only)
- Google Play - Subscribe to our audio podcast directly through Google Play!
- RSS - Subscribe through your regular RSS reader (audio only)
- MP3 - Direct download link to the MP3 file
Hosts: Ryan Shrout, Jeremy Hellstrom, Josh Walrath, Allyn Malventano
Peanut Gallery: Ken Addison, Alex Lustenberg
Program length: 1:35:10
There is no 3
Week in Review:
News items of interest:
Picks of the Week: