Introduction and Features
FSP Group Inc. has been designing and building PC power supplies under their own brand since 2003. Not only do they market power supplies under their own FSP name but they are the OEM for many other big name brands. FSP’s Hydro G lineup is part of their top-tier Premium Series and currently includes three models: 850W, 750W, and 650W. Now you might be thinking “Hydro” refers to water-cooling but it does not – the Hydro G series power supplies all use conventional air cooling. The Hydro apparently refers to the Hydro Dynamic Bearing used in the cooling fan.
The power supply we have in for review is the Hydro G 850W unit. FSP developed the Hydro G Series with server grade circuitry and an advanced thermal layout. The unit comes with all modular cables and is certified to comply with the 80 Plus Gold efficiency criteria. The power supply is designed to deliver tight voltage regulation with excellent AC ripple and noise suppression. All Hydro G Series power supplies incorporate a quiet 135mm cooling fan, which starts out in silent fan-less mode and they come backed with a 5-year warranty.
FSP Hydro G Series Gold PSU Key Features:
• 650W, 750W or 850W continuous DC output @ 50°C
• Server grade circuits and advanced thermal layout
• High efficiency, 80 PLUS Gold certified =90%
• Complies with newest ATX12V & EPS12V standards
• 100% Japanese made electrolytic capacitors
• Quiet 135mm Fluid Dynamic Bearing fan
• Intelligent fan control (allows fan-less operation at low power)
• Powerfull single +12V rail design
• Fully modular with flat ribbon-style cables
• SLI and Crossfire ready
• Protections: OCP, OVP, SCP, OPP, UVP and OTP
• 5-Year Manufacturer’s warranty
Subject: Cases and Cooling | April 22, 2016 - 01:50 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: fsp, HYDRO G, 650W, modular psu, 80 Plus Gold
FSP provides the insides to many of the PSUs you see sold from Corsair, Zalman, Antec and just about every other provider at some point in the past. They also occasionally sell them under their own brand name, which brings us to the Hydro G 650W fully modular PSU that was recently reviewed at [H]ard|OCP. The PSU has a single 12V rail capable of providing 649W @ 54.16A, with the four 6+2 PCIe connectors it will handle many dual GPU systems. It comes with 80 PLUS GOLD certification and a five year warranty and is available for around $75. FSP's experience shows in the design and performance of this PSU as it walked away with a Gold Award and hearty recommendations.
"While FSP may not be a PSU brand that is on the tip of your tongue, we have been reviewing FSP computer power supplies now for 8 years, and the fact of the matter is that these units have been getting better and better over time. Where does the new Hydro G 650W fit into that progression?"
Here are some more Cases & Cooling reviews from around the web:
- Fractal Design Tesla R2 500W @ [H]ard|OCP
- Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt 80 PLUS Gold @ eTeknix
- Corsair SF600 80 Plus Gold @ eTeknix