Subject: General Tech | October 15, 2015 - 04:21 PM | Ken Addison
Tagged: xps15, xps13, video, uhs-2, uhs-1, thinkpad stack, sd cards, ROG, podcast, msi, Maximus VIII, Lenovo, gx700, gt72s, G752, dell, asus
PC Perspective Podcast #371 - 10/15/2015
Join us this week as we discuss the MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G, ROG Product Announcements, Ultrawide G-Sync and more!
The URL for the podcast is: http://pcper.com/podcast - Share with your friends!
- iTunes - Subscribe to the podcast directly through the Store
- RSS - Subscribe through your regular RSS reader
- MP3 - Direct download link to the MP3 file
Hosts: Ryan Shrout, Josh Walrath, Jeremy Hellstrom, and Allyn Malventano
Program length: 1:39:38
Week in Review:
0:42:55 This week’s podcast is brought to you by Casper. Use code PCPER at checkout for $50 towards your order!
News item of interest:
Hardware/Software Picks of the Week:
Allyn: Office 2016 is out
Subject: General Tech | October 14, 2015 - 01:43 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: zotac, western digital, vertagear, seasonic, ocz, nzxt, newegg, Intel, hyperx, contest, asus
There is a contest on NewEgg right now for those living in the continental US with a Grand Prize of a full high end gaming system, including a chair as well as two other prizes from Zotac, a ZBox Magnus EN970 and a TX 970 AMP! edition GPU. Tweet #GameLikeAPro and fill in the email form for a chance to win, 20 entries max at one per 24 hours.
Thanks to our friends at Seasonic for pointing us to this contest!!
Subject: Systems, Mobile | October 13, 2015 - 10:23 AM | Sebastian Peak
Tagged: ROG G752, ROG, Republic of Gamers, notebook, laptop, Intel Core i7, GTX 980M, gaming laptop, asus
ASUS has announced the Republic of Gamers ROG G752, their newest gaming notebook featuring 6th-gen Intel Core i7 mobile processors and graphics cards ranging from the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M to the GTX 980M. The notebook also features NVIDIA's G-SYNC technology for its 17.3-inch matte IPS panel across the three available versions.
ASUS is also advertising the laptop's brand new cooling system, a "3D Vapor Chamber" design:
Temperature uniformity vapor chambers are commonly found alongside high-performance, high-voltage graphics cards to increase cooling efficiency. The ROG-exclusive mobile 3D Vapor Chamber, together with the copper heat pipe, create an effective and efficient cooling system that helps improve GPU performance for smooth and stable gaming. ROG G752 is the world’s first laptop to integrate a vapor chamber into its cooling system.
The ROG G752 offers a new physical design and the new Titanium and Plasma Copper color scheme from ASUS, and in addition to the new cooling system the notebooks are equipped with a new "ergonomically-designed" keyboard that features 2.5mm key-travel distance as well as anti-ghosting with 30-key rollover.
Here are the full specifications:
- Processor: 6th-generation Intel Core i7 (Skylake) processor
- Chipset: Mobile Intel CM236
- Memory: DDR4 2133MHz (upgradable to 64GB)
- Display: ROG G752VL / ROG G752VT / ROG G752VY - 17.3in anti-glare FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS LED backlit with NVIDIA G-SYNC
- Graphics card:
- ROG G752VL - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M with 2GB GDDR5 VRAM
- ROG G52VT - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M with 3GB / 6GB GDDR5 VRAM
- ROG G752VY - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M with 4GB / 8GB GDDR5 VRAM
- ROG G752VL - 2.5in SATA 2TB (5400 rpm); 2.5in SATA 1TB (7200 rpm); M.2 PCIe X4 NVME 256GB/128GB SSD
- ROG G752VT/ ROG G752VY - 2.5in SATA 2TB (5400 rpm); 2.5in SATA 1TB (7200 rpm); M.2 PCIe X4 NVME 512GB/256GB/128GB SSD
- Optical drive: DVD Super-Multi / Blu-ray Combo / Blu-ray writer
- Camera: Built-in HD camera with array mic
- Operating system: Windows 10, Windows 10 Professional
- Size: ROG G752VL / ROG G752VT: 428 x 334 x 23 ~ 43mm; ROG G752VY: 428 x 334 x 23 ~ 53mm
- Weight: ROG G752VL / ROG G752VT: 4.06kg (with a 6-cell battery); ROG G752VY: 4.36kg (with a 8-cell battery)
Pricing and availability were not announced, but expect to see the new ROG G752 laptops in the retail channel soon.
Subject: Displays | October 9, 2015 - 06:32 PM | Ryan Shrout
Tagged: asus, ROG, swift, pg279q, gsync, g-sync, ips
Okay, we see a lot of monitors here at PC Perspective...but this is probably the current "most coveted" of them all. The ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q looks nearly identical to the first generation ROG Swift display but with a couple of key modifications. Yes, this is still a 27-in 2560x1440 monitor but this time...oh this time...it holds a 165 Hz IPS screen.
Moving away from the world of TN screens and into the image-quality-improvement of IPS, the PG279Q not only brings ASUS' first G-Sync capable IPS 2560x1440 panel to the world but also ups the ante more than any other screen we have seen when it comes to the maximum refresh rate: this beast will top out at 165 Hz! High performance gamers that have taken to the 144 Hz market will surely see the advantages of stepping up yet again though I am curious how ASUS is able to drive an IPS screen at this speed without artifacts or issues.
Interestingly, this panel not only includes a DisplayPort connection for 165 Hz 2560x1440 throughput but also an HDMI 1.4a input that can run 2560x1440 at 60 Hz, should you need that kind of thing. If you prefer ULMB over G-Sync, you have that option as well.
I'm not sure yet, but I can feel Allyn's trigger finger on the BUY NOW button...if it existed. We don't have pricing and we don't have any update on availability, but if our past experiences with the ROG Swift line are any indication, I have a feeling this display is going to impress.
Subject: Displays | October 9, 2015 - 06:13 PM | Ryan Shrout
Tagged: asus, ROG, swift, pg27aq, 4k, g-sync, gsync
Back at CES we first got to see the ASUS ROG Swift PG27AQ, a 4K resolution IPS G-Sync enabled gaming monitor with all the fit and finish we came to love with the first ROG Swift display. Today, as part of the ROG Unleashed event being held in San Jose, the monitor has been officially unveiled.
The build and specifications remain pretty much unchanged though pricing and availability are still up in the air.
The ASUS PG27AQ updates and changes the ROG Swift design and style in small areas including adding an illuminated Republic of Gamers logo to the base along with the red circle. The stand includes supports for height adjustment, rotation, and tilt - basically mirroring the capability of the original ROG Swift.
Seeing a 4K IPS G-Sync monitor warms my heart though I wonder if we will need the next generation of NVIDIA GeForce GPUs to be able to power it effectively with a single card. G-Sync variable refresh rate technology does mean that gamers will be able to run at lower frame rates without the worry of screen tearing or judder.
Finally, even though the display has support for HDMI, it will only run at 4K / 24 Hz or 1080p / 60 Hz - there is no true HDMI 2.0 support to be found. The full resolution and refresh rate, as well as G-Sync support, are enabled through the DisplayPort connection only.
Subject: Systems | October 9, 2015 - 06:01 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: Skylake, LGA 1151, Intel H170, Intel H110, G11CDm G20CB, ASUS ROG, asus
ASUS has announced two new models of ROG Desktops for gamers based on Intel's new Skylake processors. Both models offer a choice of i5 or i7 processors and a gamut of video cards including and AMD R9 380 and in the case of the G11CD/CB an NVIDIA GTX 745 up to a 980 Ti while the G20CB ranges from a GT740 to a TITAN X.
The G11 is a full sized desktop, 176x440x442mm (6.9x17.3x17.4") and if you choose the CB model you will be able to have an H170 motherboard, a GTX 980Ti and up to a 512GB M.2 SSD. The CD model does not support those features and is built on an H110 motherboard. Both models off a choice between a DVD or Blu-Ray optical drive.
The ROG G20 offers more power in a slightly smaller case, 104x340x358mm (4.1x13.4x14.1") which is achieved by using an external power supply and dropping the optical drive altogether.
ASUS has managed to offer a vertically mounted TITAN X in this form factor, which is no small achievement. The ROG G20 also offers wireless connectivity in addition to a wired LAN Port, along with space for two internal drives.
All models share the familiar black and red ROG colour scheme, a nice mix of USB 3.1, 3.0 and 2.0 ports and 7.1 audio. There is no word on the pricing for either of these desktops, keep an eye out for updates as we learn more.
Subject: Motherboards | October 9, 2015 - 06:00 PM | Sebastian Peak
Tagged: Z170, Skylake, SFF, ROG, motherboard, mini-itx, Maximus VIII Impact, lga1151, asus
ASUS has announced their latest mini-ITX offering in the Republic of Gamers series, and the Maximus VIII Impact motherboard packs an outrageous number of features into one formidable little 6.7-inch square. In fact, short of the second PCIe slot afforded the larger mATX form-factor, the newest Impact board looks to be every bit as powerful as the recently released Maximus VIII Gene motherboard.
"To push performance even further, Maximus VIII Impact has a full-scale voltage-regulator module (VRM) dubbed Impact Power III vertically-mounted onto the tiny board, allowing you full access to digital power management for ultra-precise and stable overclocks with your processor and memory. ROG has also managed to squeeze in 5-Way Optimization auto-tuning and Pro Clock technology so you can get the most out of your 6th Gen. Intel processor and overclocked DDR4 memory which goes up to 4133MHz or higher."
Let’s check out the specs on this new Impact board:
- CPU: LGA1151 socket for 6th Generation Intel Core i7/i5/i3/Pentium/Celeron processors
- Chipset: Intel Z170 Express
- Memory: Dual-channel memory architecture
- 2x DIMM, max. 32GB DDR4-4133(OC) non-ECC, un-buffered memory
- PCIe Slot: 1x PCIe 3.0 x16 slot (supports x16 mode)
- Graphics: Integrated Intel HD Graphics Processor
- HDMI 1.4b
- Intel InTru 3D/Quick Sync Video/Clear Video HD Technology/Insider
- Wi-Fi: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac supports dual frequency band 2.4/5GHz; MU-MIMO
- Bluetooth: V4.1, 4.0LE
- USB: 2x USB 3.1 ports (1 Type-A and 1 Type-C) powered by Intel USB 3.1 controller; 6x USB 3.0 ports (2 at mid-board)
- Storage: 1x U.2 port (PCIe x4, 32Gb/s), 4x SATA 6Gb/s ports. Supports Intel Smart Response Technology
- LAN: Intel® I219-V Gigabit LAN with Anti-surge LANGuard, ROG GameFirst Technology
- HD Audio: SupremeFX Impact III
- ROG SupremeFX 2015 High Definition Audio Codec
- ESS® ES9023P DAC with Hyperstream™ Architecture
- 2Vrms Headphone Amp into 32-600 Ohms
- SupremeFX Shielding Technology
- Optical S/PDIF output at back panel
- Sonic Studio II; Sonic Radar II; Sonic SenseAmp; DTS Connect
- Fan headers: 2x 4-pin onboard; 3x 4-pin on daughter card
- Form Factor: Mini-ITX, 6.7" x 6.7" (17 cm x 17 cm)
Update, 10/11/15: The ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Impact motherboard is now available at Newegg.com for $248.99.
Subject: Motherboards | October 9, 2015 - 06:00 PM | Sebastian Peak
Tagged: Z170, Skylake, ROG, overclocking, motherboard, Maximus VIII Extreme, lga1151, asus
While a little less flashy looking than some of the performance motherboards we’ve seen lately, opting for an understated gray/red color scheme over a black PCB, there is nothing subtle about the new Maximus VIII Extreme. From the specs it looks to be the most overbuilt gaming/overclocking motherboard possible for the Intel Z170 chipset, and that’s exactly what the ROG Extreme motherboards are made for.
Here are the (very lengthy) specifications:
- CPU: LGA1151 6th Generation Intel® Core™ i7/i5/i3/Pentium®/Celeron®
- CPU Cache Ratio Tuning
- Turbo Ratio OC
- BCLK OC (Pro-Clock)
- iGPU OC
- DRAM: Spec supported 4x DIMM, max. 64GB
- DDR4 3866(O.C.) non-ECC, un-buffered memory, XMP 2.0
- Extreme Overclocking
- OC Zone: Retry button, Safe Boot button, LN2 mode, Slow Mode switch, Probelt, PCIe x16 lane switch, DRAM channel jumper
- OC Gadget: OC Panel II
- OC Design: ASUS PRO Clock Technology
- Optimize System
- Power Design: Extreme Engine Digi+
- DRAM Layout: 2nd Generation T-Topology
- Performance Optimization
- Intel® Quick Sync Video
- Intel® Smart Response Technology
- USB 3.1 Boost
- HW Fast Boot support
- Network: Intel® I219-V NIC with LANGuard Anti-surge
- Network bandwidth management: GameFirst III + GameFirst IV (Beta)
- Intel® Rapid Start Technology
- Intel® Smart Connect Technology
- Expansion Slots:
- PCIex16 @ x16 - 1x Max. @Gen3
- PCIex16 @ x4 - 1x Max. @Gen3
- PCIex16 @ x8/x4 - 1x Max. @Gen3
- PCIex16 @ x4 - 1x Max. @Gen3 via PCH
- PCIex1 @ x1 - 2x Max. @Gen3
The included OC Panel II fits in an open 5.25” bay
- BIOS: CPU-Free Update/USB BIOS Flashback/UEFI Level Update/EZ Flash 3/BIOS Flash Protection/CrashFree BIOS 3
- BIOS feature:
- All fans including pump header are DC and PWM mode compatible
- Wizard for simple OC and RAID
- SSD Secure Erase
- My Favorite & Shortcut
- Boot Logo Size Adjustment
- F12 BIOS Print
- Power Solution:
- Full Digital 8 Phase CPU Power Design
- 4 Phase for iGPU
- 2 Phase Digital DRAM Power Design with ASUS DRAM Power Utility
- System Agent Power: 1 Phase for VCCSA
- Extreme Engine Digi+
- Dual PWM Controllers, 1 for Vcore, 1 for VGT
- 10K Black Metallic Capacitors
- MicroFine Alloy Chokes
- OptiMOS™ MOSFET
- Real-time adjustment: ASUS DIGI+ Power Control Utility
- Anti-Surge Protection
- Mass Storage:
- 1x M.2 socket 3 with M Key; Supporting form factor 2242, 2260, 2280, 22110, PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA mode, PCIe RAID
- 1x U.2 connector (sharing PCIe with M.2)
- 2x SATA Express via PCH (SATA-E 1 share SATA with M.2)
- 8x SATA 6Gbps (2 via PCH native; 4 via SATA-E; 2 via ASM1061)
- RAID: RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 via iRST 14
- USB Support:
- 4x 3.1 (1 Type-A and 1 Type-C via Intel Alpine Ridge; 2 Type-A via Asmedia USB 3.1 controller)
- 4x USB 3.0 (4 rear, 4 mid) via PCH
- 6x USB 2.0 - 6 mid via PCH, two shared with ROG extension (ROG_EXT) port
- Bundled Software
- AI Suite 3 (Real-Time OC); ROG GameFirst III + GameFirst IV (Beta); ROG Keybot II; RAMCache; ROG RAMDisk; USB 3.1 Boost; ROG CPU-Z; ROG MemTweakIt; Lighting Control
Pricing and availability were not immediately available.
Subject: Systems, Mobile | October 9, 2015 - 06:00 PM | Sebastian Peak
Tagged: water cooling, NVIDIA GTX 980, liquid cooled, i7-6820HK, gx700, gaming laptop, g-sync, ASUS ROG, asus
We already saw an announcement from ASUS (at IFA 2015) for their water-cooled Republic of Gamers GX700 gaming laptop, and now we have more details about this unique product, though some are still pending. The specifications (including the full version of the NVIDIA GTX 980) would make a great gaming desktop system, and that's kind of the idea as the performance increases substantially when the laptop is docked in its liquid-cooling base.
There are certainly questions about this concept that won't be answered until hardware in hand, but it's going to be interesting to see just how well a liquid cooling system will work in a dockable format like this.
Here are the specifications we know so far:
- CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK
- GPU: GeForce GTX 980, 8GB GDDR5
- Display: 17.3-inch IPS FHD (1920x1080) G-SYNC / Optional 4K/UHD G-SYNC
- RAM: Up to 64GB DDR4
- Storage: Up to 1TB PCIe x4 SSD (2 x 512GB)
- Optical: Blu-ray 6x RW
- Card reader: SDXC
- Networking: Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11ac, Bluetooth 4.0
- Keyboard: Anti-ghosting keyboard with 30-key rollover; 2.5mm travel; Illuminated
- 3 x USB 3.0
- 1 x USB Type-C / Thunderbolt 3
- 1 x USB Type-C / USB 3.1
- 1 x mini-DisplayPort
- 1 x HDMI
- Audio: 1x Headphone/mini-Optical S/PDIF, 1x Microphone input
- Webcam: 1.2MP HD camera
A look inside at the GX700 cooling system
Exact numbers on battery capacity, dimensions, and weight are not yet available, and pricing and availability have yet to be announced.
Subject: Networking | October 9, 2015 - 06:00 PM | Sebastian Peak
Tagged: wireless router, RT-AC88U, router, mu-mimo, asus, 802.11ac, 8-port switch
ASUS has announced an impressive new MU-MIMO wireless router that provides up to 3100 Mbps of Wi-Fi bandwidth, and the RT-AC88U also features an 8-port Gigabit Ethernet switch.
- WLAN: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac with MU-MIMO
- Data rate: 3100 Mbps
- Chipset: BCM47094, BCM4366, BCM4366
- Flash: NAND 128 MB
- RAM: DDR3 256/512 MB
- WAN: GbE x 1
- LAN: GbE x 8
- Giga switch: 8365
- PA: 2G:sky2623 5G:sky85405
- LNA: 2G: BGU7224/LXS5563 5G:MAAL011078
- Antenna: Detachable dual band x 4
- USB: 3.0 x1, 2.0 x1
- Applications: ASUSWRT, AiCloud, AiProtection, high-power mode, Download Master, VPN server, guest network, DLNA server, automatic IP, Static IP, PPPoE (MPPE support), PPTP, L2TP, IPv4, IPv6
Pricing and availability are not yet known.