Subject: General Tech | July 17, 2018 - 04:26 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: microsoft, windows 10, anniversary
It seems hard to believe but it is true, but Sunday July 29th marks the third year of Windows 10 being on the market. The launch was unique, Microsoft decided to offer their new operating system for free to anyone running a valid copy of Windows 7 or 8.x; which you can still take advantage of if you so need. The launch did not go perfectly and Microsoft's goal of having the device installed on 1 billion devices still has not been reached, though this year saw Win10 finally surpass Win7 in total market share. The major updates have been somewhat problematic but it is safe to say that Windows 10 has improved somewhat since release; even enterprises are starting to consider adoption.
For more on the checkered past of Microsoft's latest OS, check out the Register.
"Coming six years after the release of the beloved Windows 7, Windows 10 had a lot to live up to. Once the name got locked down – for a while it was referred to variously as "Windows 9", "Windows Next", "Threshold" and "Oh God, Make The Pain Stop" (at least as far this user was concerned.)"
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Wet etching makes high quality topological superconductor @ Physics World
- Juniper makes a meal of Spectre/Meltdown@ The Register
- Samsung Unveils World's First 10nm-class 8 Gb LPDDR5 DRAM @ Slashdot
- Intel buys eASIC because FPGAs aren't always the answer @ The Register
- Two-factor auth totally locks down Office 365? You may want to check all your services... @ The Register
- GAMDIAS ACHILLES P1 L Extraordinary RGB Illuminated Gaming Chair Review @ NikKTech
Subject: Graphics Cards | May 12, 2015 - 12:11 PM | Ryan Shrout
Tagged: GTX 980, giveaway, contest, asus, anniversary
I bet many of you are going to feel a little old as you read this, but ASUS is celebrating its 20th anniversary of being in the graphics card market! Starting in 1996, when ASUS launched its first discrete graphics product based on the S3 Virge/DX GPU and running through 2015 with the release of updated GTX 900-series and AMD Radeon 200-series cards, ASUS has been a pivotal part of the GPU landscape.
To celebrate this achievement, ASUS built a new, gold, 20th anniversary edition of its GeForce GTX 980 product, limited to only 200 units in all of North America! And the best part? You can win one right here on PC Perspective for FREE!
This amazing graphics card has some killer features:
- GTX 980 GPU
- 4GB GDDR5 memory at 7.0 GHz
- 1317 MHz Base / 1431 MHz Boost clocks
- 8+8-pin power connections
- DirectCU II 0db Fan Technology
- Memory Defroster
- "Safe Mode" VBIOS reload
- 14-phase Super Alloy power
How do you enter for this prize? Pay attention, there are some specifics!
- First and foremost, you must be subscribed to the ASUS PCDIY email list, which you can sign up for at http://pcdiy.asus.com/. Repeat: this is a requirement!
- You must leave a comment on the news story here and tell us what you love about ASUS graphics cards or the new 20th anniversary GTX 980 Special Edition!
- This is a global contest - so feel free to enter from anywhere in the world!
- You can gain other entries by utilizing the Gleam.io form below!
The contest will end on May 15th at 9pm ET so be sure to get your entries in early!