MSI H55M-ED55 LGA 1156 Micro ATX Motherboard Review
Introduction and Features
MSI brings high-end overclocking, gaming features to mainstream H55M-ED55 board
Courtesy of MSI
The H55 Express chipset from Intel is being used in a wide range of micro ATX motherboards to give enthusiasts and casual gamers who use Intel’s i7-800, i5, and i3 platforms better performance and enhanced high-definition video and audio capabilities. This platform supports all of today’s latest HD formats as well like 720p, 1080i, and 1080p, which makes it a great upgrade for home theater PC builders.
Courtesy of MSI
MSI built the H55M-ED55 around this chipset, but added more overclocking
capabilities through their OCGenie technology that allows one-click
overclocking through a nifty button located right on the motherboard.
This board also supports overclocked DDR3-2133 memory, two PCIe 2.0
graphics cards, and 8.1 high definition audio.
Courtesy of MSI
The MSI H55M-ED55 is the highest end H55 micro ATX board they produce that boasts
all their latest and greatest third-party applications like OCGenie, DrMOS, Active Phase Switching, and Winki, which gives users internet, instant messaging, Skype, and photo viewing without having to boot into the OS. All of these features are available at a decent price point around $109 USD.
MSI H55M-ED55 Features (taken from MSI's website)
• Overclocking in few seconds
• Automatically detect best overclocking configuration
• Optimized for best system performance
• Excellent energy-saving capability and offers high-computing performance.
• Provide superior energy-saving function and maintain an ultimate low temperature operation.
• Comes with three incredible features.
APS (Active Phase Switching)
• APS is Active Phase Switching is complete function to Control Power Demand With Switcing Dynamically, it’s for CPU, Memory and Chipset PWM.
• Saving Power under Variable Loading.
• Power Usage More Efficiency.
• Instant CPU Base Clock adjustment
• Hardware low latency control
• Attain hardware overclocking performance at all circumstances
• Supports 1080 Full-HD multimedia playback
• A perfect connection to HD visual effects
• Better casual gaming experience with DirectX 10 support
• Excellent Air Convection
• Avoid Mechanical issue
• Average temperature lower than “52℃” in high loading
• Faster and Flexible and instant
• If BIOS crash, it still can boot from USB Drive
• Update BIOS from USB Drive by M-Flash Fucntion
• With the ESD dual-current protection chip, USB Safeguard can ideally protect your motherboard from the potential damage caused by static electricity when inserting USB devices.
Blu-Ray Audio Support
• The loss-less content protection technology with full-rate audio enjoyment from Blue-ray
• Support for 24-bit / 192kHz sample rate offers high quality digital decoders and speakers
• support 7.1 channels playback, plus 2 channels of independent stereo sound output (multiple streaming) through the front panel stereo outputs
User Friendly Design
• Functions designed with button to be easy use.
• Help power-users tweaking process in-chasis enviornment
• Onboard SATA ports are stacked on the mainboard to avoid mechanical issue with giant graphic cards like 8800 Ultra.
MSI Advanced Live Update Online
• The MSI Live Update online is designed to automatically download and update the BIOS and driver when there’s a new version online. It helps reduce the risk of getting the wrong file and minimize the trouble of searching the files from MSI website.
Live Update 4
• Live Update 4 is a single utility software that automatically checks BIOS, driver and utility updates and installs for you , which can save your time for searching and lower the risk while updating.
• Equip with 2 or more PCIe x16 slots, ATI CrossFire Ready.
• The ultimate multi-GPU performance gaming platform.
• Provides 2.7x faster performance than single graphic card solution.