SilverStone Nightjar ST45NF 450W Fan-less PSU Review
Introduction and Features
SilverStone is no stranger to the fan-less power supply market. They came out with the ST30NF 300W PSU back in early 2004 and currently offer two fan-less PC power supplies, including the ST45NF 450W unit we are reviewing today. The SilverStone Nightjar ST45NF power supply features massive heatsinks, industrial grade components, and an aluminum body to passively dissipate heat with zero noise emissions. The ST45NF is rated for up to 450W continuous DC output and comes with dual PCI-E connectors for high-end graphic adapter support.
Here is what SilverStone has to say about their ST45NF fan-less PSU:
“With the latest power supply technology SilverStone Nightjar SST-ST45NF enables the continuous power output of 450W and possesses a high peak rating at 500W. Constructed with server-level components and downgraded from 600W to 450W, the SST-ST45NF fan-less thermal solution can easily satisfy the enthusiasts who require stable output and no-noise requirement. Its server-level components ensure the stable and continuous output and 0 dBA acoustics feature enable no noise result while operating, moreover its single PCI-E 8-pin and dual PCI-E 6-pin can support high-end VGA card with efficiency greater than 80%. SST-ST45NF extruded aluminum construction not only helps the cooling performance but also creates an aesthetic innovation which can be seen as a breakthrough of appearance design and the best choice for people who require no noise and stable continuous performance.”
SilverStone Nightjar ST45NF PSU Key Features:
• Fan-less cooling solution with 0 dBA noise
• 450W continuous power output with 500W peak
• Supports ATX12V v2.3 and EPS12V standards
• Server level components
• Status indicator LEDs
• Single 8-pin PCI-E and dual 6-pin PCI-E connectors for high-end VGA
• Active PFC with Universal AC input
• Efficiency greater than 80%
Packaging and Parts
The SilverStone ST45NF fan-less power supply arrived securely packed inside a large silver retail box highlighting the unit’s features and specifications.
In addition to the power supply the box contains a power cord, mounting screws, cable ties, auxiliary mounting bracket, detailed User’s Manual and Installation Guide.
PSU Testing Methodology
Establishing an accurate load is critical to testing and evaluating a PC power supply. PCPerspective’s power supply test bench can place a precise 2,000 watt DC load on the PSU under test. Each power supply is tested under controlled, real-world conditions up to its maximum rated load, using both 115 VAC and 240 VAC line voltages. Our current suite of tests includes:
• DC Load Regulation
• DC Line Regulation
• DC Cross-load (unbalanced load)
• AC Ripple and Noise
• Power Factor
• Differential Temperature
The SilverStone ST45NF fan-less power supply was evaluated on both features and performance. A full range of equipment was used to test the power supply under controlled load conditions.
• (2) CSI3710A Programmable DC load (+3.3V and +5V ouputs)
• (4) CSI3711A Programmable DC load (+12V1, +12V2, +12V3, and +12V4)
• FLUKE 87-III True RMS digital multimeter (Accuracy ±0.05%)
• Extech 380803 Power Analyzer (Accuracy ±0.5% of full scale)
• Hitachi V-650F 60 MHz dual trace oscilloscope (Accuracy ±3%)
• Powerstat Variable Autotransformer, 1.4 KVA, 0-140 VAC
• FLUKE 52-II digital thermometer (Accuracy ±0.3ºC/0.5ºF)
• Extech Model 407738 digital sound level meter (Accuracy ±1.5 dB)
• Custom Lian Li PC60 enclosure to simulate real-world operating conditions
Get notified when we go live!