SilverStone Nightjar 520W Fanless Power Supply Review
Final Thoughts and Conclusions
The SilverStone Nightjar SST-NJ520 fanless power supply occupies a niche market and is targeted towards users who want a silent power supply for use in noise-sensitive areas such as a recording studio or science lab. The NJ520 easily delivered 520W combined DC load with outstanding voltage regulation and excellent AC ripple suppression, even at full load. The Nightjar 520W PSU meets the requirements for 80Plus Platinum efficiencies, even while operating on 115 VAC at elevated, real-world temperatures. The component selection and build quality is excellent (as we have come to expect from Seasonic, the OEM for the NJ520). Our only minor complaint is with the 3-year warranty that SilverStone offers with most of their PSUs – the NJ520 deserves better.
Editor’s Note: Fanless power supplies rely on convection cooling and still require airflow in and around the power supply to carry away the waste heat. So while the power supply itself may not have a fan, the computer enclosure must still have some means of creating airflow to keep the CPU, GPU and PSU cool (good convection cooling with lots of vent openings or quiet case fans). The last thing you want to do is put a fanless PSU in a closed PC enclosure without any airflow!
The Nightjar NJ520 is currently available and selling for $149.99 USD (Amazon.com, June 2014).
• Fanless power supply, 0 dBA acoustics, silent operation
• Capable of delivering 520W continuous DC output
• 80Plus Platinum efficiency
• Outstanding voltage regulation
• Excellent AC ripple and noise suppression
• All modular cables
• Single +12V output can deliver up to 43A/516W
• Four PCI-E connectors (6+2 pin) with one 4+4 pin ATX/EPS12V connector
• Protection circuits: OCP, OVP, OPP, OTP, UVP, and SCP
• Active PFC with universal AC input
• 3-Year warranty
SilverStone Nightjar NJ520 520W Fanless Power Supply
Our thanks to SilverStone for sending us the NJ520 PSU to review!
Get notified when we go live!