Seasonic X Series 400W Fanless Power Supply Review
Introduction and Features
Seasonic's new X Series 400W PSU is unique as it is one of only a few PC power supplies that does not use a fan for cooling and is currently the only 400W fanless PSU that is certified 80 Plus Gold. It has all the great features found in Seasonic's top of the line X Series 650W and 750W PSUs, except for the fan.
Seasonic X Series 400W Fanless Power Supply
Here is what Seasonic has to say about their new X Series fanless power supplies: "Seasonic is proud to introduce the X- Series Fanless power supplies, the world’s first Passive Cooling, 80Plus Gold certified ATX power supplies, rated at 400 & 460 watts. Perfect for HTPC and silent environment applications, these premium power supplies provide class leading performance and are built tough to withstand the rigors of everyday use.
Based on the highly successful Seasonic X series with DC-DC technology, the X-Series Fanless power supplies also have the full modular DC cabling for forward compatibility, ease of integration and improved manufacturing quality.
As with all X series, only highest-grade components are used in the production process. The use of Solid Polymer and high-grade electrolytic capacitors, dual sided PCB and even scratch resistant paint, all make the X-Fanless power supplies exceedingly tough and durable. In addition, even gold plated DC Cable connectors are used to ensure the best possible DC output performance.
The Seasonic X-series Fanless will be in the stores in USA and Europe in August 2010 and rest of world in September, starting with the 400 watts and followed by the 460 watts. Priced at MSRP US$ 139.99 & 159.99 respectively, the Seasonic X-series Fanless power supplies are the definitive power supplies for HTPC systems and silent PC enthusiasts."
Seasonic X Series 400W Fanless PSU Key Features:
• Fanless (0 dB) passive cooling
• 80Plus Gold certified super high efficiency
• Full modular DC connector module features integrated VRMs (3.3V and 5V)
• Advanced DC-to-DC topology
• High +12V output (33A/396W)
• Tight voltage regulation (±3%)
• High-quality Japanese capacitors for maximum durability (105°C)
• Solid conductive polymer aluminum capacitors for enhanced stability
• High current gold plated terminals
• Active PFC with Universal AC input
• Energy Star, RoHS, WEEE & REACH compliant
• Protection: OCP, OPP, OTP, OVP, UVP and SCP
• High quality scratch resistant paint
• 5-Year warranty
PSU Testing Methodology
Establishing an accurate load is critical to testing and evaluating a PC power supply. PCPerspective’s power supply test bench can place a precise 2,000 watt DC load on the PSU under test. Each power supply is tested under controlled, real-world conditions up to its maximum rated load, using both 115 VAC and 240 VAC line voltage. Our current suite of tests includes:
• DC Load Regulation
• DC Line Regulation
• DC Cross-load (unbalanced load)
• AC Ripple and Noise
• Power Factor
• Differential Temperature
The Seasonic X Series 400W Fanless power supply was evaluated on both features and performance. A full range of equipment was used to test the power supply under controlled load conditions.
• (2) CSI3710A Programmable DC load (+3.3V and +5V outputs)
• (4) CSI3711A Programmable DC load (+12V1, +12V2, +12V3, and +12V4)
• Extech MultiMaster MM570 digital multimeter (Accuracy ±0.02%)
• Extech 380803 Power Analyzer (Accuracy ±0.5% of full scale)
• Hitachi V-650F 60 MHz dual trace oscilloscope (Accuracy ±3%)
• Powerstat Variable Autotransformer, 1.4 KVA, 0-140 VAC
• Extech Model 407738 digital sound level meter (Accuracy ±1.5 dB)
• Custom PC60 enclosure to simulate real-world operating conditions
Get notified when we go live!