PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1200W PSU Review
Introduction and Features
The new Turbo-Cool 1200W is the latest addition to PC Power & Cooling's Turbo-Cool series of high performance PC power supplies and its targeted straight at the professional, industrial-grade power solution sector. The Turbo-Cool 1200W features a unique new design, which focuses on delivering maximum power to a single, high-capacity +12V rail capable of supplying up to 90A (1,080W) of clean, rock-solid power. And it comes with no less than six PCI-E connectors and is backed by PC Power & Cooling's new 7-year Turb-Cool warranty and unbeatable support.
PC Power & Cooling has been in the business of building high-performance PC switching power supplies since 1986 and they have earned one of the best reputations in the industry for performance and reliability. Today PC Power & Cooling offers several lines of high-quality power supplies ranging in capacity from 300W all the way up to 1200W. The Turbo-Cool units are specifically designed for high-end applications where clean power and reliability are the top priorities while the Silencer series puts more emphasis on quiet operation and a lower price point.
Turbo-Cool 1200W PSU Key Features:
- 1.2 kW continuous power output (1.3 kW peak) at 50°C
- Fits standard ATX case (20" minimum depth)
- Powerful single +12V rail (up to 90A continuous/100A peak)
- Rock solid, super clean DC outputs
- Industry's longest hold-up time (40ms)
- Six PCI-E and 15 peripheral drive connectors
- 24-pin, dual 8-pin, and 4-pin motherboard connectors
- High efficiency operation (up to 83%)
- Active PFC with Universal AC line input
- Automatic fan speed control circuit (single 80mm fan)
- NVIDIA SLI Certified
- 7-Year warranty (Turbo-Cool models), Unbeatable support
PC Power & Cooling designed the Turbo-Cool 1200W PSU for professionals that require the very best, long-lasting industrial-grade components for their mission critical machines. The target audience includes the R&D labs of major industrial OEMs, medical applications, high-end CAD workstations, movie studio SFX rigs, etc. While the Turbo-Cool 1200W PSU wasn't officially released to the general public until today, many of the afore mentioned customers already have them hard at work in their labs... :)
Here is what PC Power & Cooling has to say about the new Turbo-Cool 1200W:
"The PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1200 is truly the ultimate next-gen power supply! Built upon the proven technology of the Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR, this Single Rail monster (+12V @ 90A) will reliably power the most demanding mission-critical or high-performance builds, delivering 1200W of continuous power (1300W peak)."
Packaging and Components
The Turbo-Cool 1200W bundled accessories include a heavy duty 14AWG/3 power cord, mounting screws, Installation Instructions and a certified test report. All of the parts come securely packed inside a large cardboard box, which boldly displays the PC Power & Cooling name along with the unit's key features.
Testing Methodology and Equipment
Establishing an accurate load is critical to testing and evaluating a PC power supply. PCPerspective's power supply test bench can place a precise 2,000 watt DC load on the PSU under test. Each power supply is tested under controlled, real-world conditions up to its maximum rated load (at 40ºC), using both 115 VAC and 240 VAC line voltage. Our current suite of tests includes:
- DC Load Regulation
- DC Line Regulation
- DC Cross-load (unbalanced load)
- AC Ripple and Noise
- Power Factor
- Differential Temperature
The Turbo-Cool 1200W power supply was evaluated on both features and performance. A full range of equipment was used to test the power supply under controlled load conditions.
- (2) CSI3710A Programmable DC load (+3.3V and +5V ouputs)
- (4) CSI3711A Programmable DC load (+12V1, +12V2, +12V3, and +12V4)
- FLUKE 87-III True RMS digital multimeter (Accuracy ±0.05%)
- Extech 380803 Power Analyzer (Accuracy ±0.5% of full scale)
Hitachi V-650F 60 MHz dual trace oscilloscope (Accuracy ±3%)
- Powerstat Variable Autotransformer, 1.4 KVA, 0-140 VAC
- FLUKE 52-II digital thermometer (Accuracy ±0.3ºC/0.5ºF)
- Extech Model 407738 digital sound level meter (Accuracy ±1.5 dB)
- Custom Lian Li PC60 enclosure to simulate real-world operating conditions