PC Power & Cooling Silencer 760W Power Supply Review
Introduction and Features
PC Power & Cooling's Silencer 760W delivers clean, stable power with excellent efficiency at an affordable price. However, don't let the name mislead you; this PSU isn't what many users would consider silent
The Silencer 760W sits in the middle of PC Power & Cooling’s Silencer series of high performance power supplies. It can deliver up to 760W of clean, reliable power with excellent efficiency for mission critical workstations and high-end gaming systems. The Silencer 760W incorporates all hard-wired cables and comes with four PCI-E connectors, NVIDIA SLI certification, is backed by a 7-year warranty, and typically sells for $129 USD.
(Courtesy the OCZ Technology Group)
PC Power & Cooling has been in the business of building high-performance PC switching power supplies since 1986 and they have earned one of the best reputations in the industry for performance and reliability. Today PC Power & Cooling offers several lines of high-quality power supplies ranging in capacity from 300W all the way up to 1200W. The Turbo-Cool units are specifically designed for high-end applications where clean power and reliability are the top priorities while the Silencer series puts more emphasis on quiet operation and a lower price point.
Silencer 760W PSU Key Features:
• 760W continuous power output (836W peak) at 50°C
• NVIDIA SLI Certified (up to 2 x GTX470)
• Up to 90% (10dB) Less Noise per Watt
• 80mm Ultra-quiet fan
• 80+ Silver Certified (88% efficiency); .99 Active PFC
• Powerful single +12V rail up to 62A (744W)
• Rock solid, super clean DC outputs
• 4 x PCI-E and a complete array of connectors
• Active PFC with Universal AC line input
• Automatic fan speed control circuit
• 7-Year warranty and tech support
Here is what PC Power & Cooling has to say about the Silencer 760W:
“Our Silencer 760 power supply gives you legendary PC Power & Cooling performance and reliability along with a unique ultra-quiet cooling design, Quad PCI-Express connectors, classic black finish, and a price that seals the deal.”
Packaging and Parts
The Silencer 760W arrived in retail box that highlights the unit's main features and specifications. The 760 comes bundled with a power cord, mounting screws, PC Power & Cooling case badge, and Users Guide.
Establishing an accurate load is critical to testing and evaluating a PC power supply. PCPerspective’s power supply test bench can place a precise 2,000 watt DC load on the PSU under test. Each power supply is tested under controlled, real-world conditions up to its maximum rated load (at 40ºC), using both 115 VAC and 240 VAC line voltage. Our current suite of tests includes:
• DC Load Regulation
• DC Line Regulation
• DC Cross-load (unbalanced load)
• AC Ripple and Noise
• Power Factor
• Differential Temperature
The Silencer 760W power supply was evaluated on both features and performance. A full range of equipment was used to test the power supply under controlled load conditions.
• (2) CSI3710A Programmable DC load (+3.3V and +5V outputs)
• (4) CSI3711A Programmable DC load (+12V1, +12V2, +12V3, and +12V4)
• (2) 200W Precision resistor load bank (+12V5 and +12V6)
• Switchable precision resistor load bank (-12V and +5VSB)
• Extech MultiMaster MM570 digital multimeter (Accuracy ±0.02%)
• Extech 380803 Power Analyzer (Accuracy ±0.5% of full scale)
• DS1M12 "StingRay" digital oscilloscope (20M S/s with 12 Bit ADC)
• Powerstat Variable Autotransformer, 1.4 KVA, 0-140 VAC
• Extech Model 407738 digital sound level meter (Accuracy ±1.5 dB)
• Custom PC60 enclosure to simulate real-world operating conditions
Get notified when we go live!