Hiper Type R Mk II 880W Power Supply Review
Introduction and Features
The new Type R Mk II high-efficiency line of PC power supplies from The High Performance Group features 8 USB 2.0 ports and one USB-style mobile device charging port on the backside of the power supply. Two different models are available, one with 680W and the other with 880W of DC output. In addition to the unique USB ports, the Hiper Type R Mk II 880W power supply promises high efficiency and quiet operation. Both models are available with either a bright blue metallic or gloss black finish.
The Hiper Type R Mk II 880W power supply can deliver up to 880W of stable DC power and comes with four PCI-E connectors, which can support multiple high-end video cards in SLI or CrossFire configurations. All cables are hard wired to the chassis and are fully sleeved. The power supply uses a single, large fan with blue LEDs for quiet cooling.
Hiper Type R Mk II 880W PSU Key Features:
• Up to 880 watts DC power output
• Supports EPS12V v2.91 and ATX12V v2.2 standards
• Four +12V outputs (up to 768W combined)
• Quiet operation (135mm LED fan)
• High-Efficiency (~ 85%)
• Active PFC with Universal AC line input
• 8 USB ports and one USB-style mobile device charging port
• All hardwired cables, fully sleeved
• Four PCI-E connectors: two 6-pin and two 8-pin or four 6-pin (with adapters)
• Bright-blue metallic or gloss black finish
• 3-Year warranty
Packaging and Parts
The Hiper Group Type R Mk II 880W power supply arrived securely packed inside Hiper’s unique plastic tool box. The sturdy little tool box features a removable parts tray, storage compartment, and carrying handle. How cool is that?
In addition to the power supply the tool box contains a power cord, mounting screws, Owner’s Manual, Hiper case badges, and a nylon pouch with assorted Molex and PCI-E adapter cables.
Establishing an accurate load is critical to testing and evaluating a PC power supply. PCPerspective’s power supply test bench can place a precise 2,000 watt DC load on the PSU under test. Each power supply is tested under controlled, real-world conditions up to its maximum rated load (at 40ºC), using both 115 VAC and 240 VAC line voltage. Our current suite of tests includes:
• DC Load Regulation
• DC Line Regulation
• DC Cross-load (unbalanced load)
• AC Ripple and Noise
• Power Factor
• Differential Temperature
The Hiper Type R Mk II 880W power supply was evaluated on both features and performance. A full range of equipment was used to test the power supply under controlled load conditions.
• (2) CSI3710A Programmable DC load (+3.3V and +5V outputs)
• (4) CSI3711A Programmable DC load (+12V1, +12V2, +12V3, and +12V4)
• FLUKE 87-III True RMS digital multimeter (Accuracy ±0.05%)
• Extech 380803 Power Analyzer (Accuracy ±0.5% of full scale)
• Hitachi V-650F 60 MHz dual trace oscilloscope (Accuracy ±3%)
• Powerstat Variable Autotransformer, 1.4 KVA, 0-140 VAC
• FLUKE 52-II digital thermometer (Accuracy ±0.3ºC/0.5ºF)
• Extech Model 407738 digital sound level meter (Accuracy ±1.5 dB)
• Custom Lian Li PC60 enclosure to simulate real-world operating conditions