EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500 Classified 1500W Power Supply Review
Final Thoughts and Conclusions
Wow – big, bad and smart! EVGA’s new SuperNOVA NEX1500 Classified 1500W power supply is all of that and more. Just when we thought we had seen it all, along comes a new player in the enthusiast power supply market with something truly impressive. The EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500 PSU has the highest output capacity of any PC power supply we have tested to date. It can deliver 1,500W continuous power (124A +12V) or 1,650W in Overclocked Mode (133A +12V) when supplied with 230VAC input. If that were not impressive enough, the NEX1500 is designed to work with EVGA’s SuperNOVA software that can monitor voltage, current, and power on the three main outputs along with overall power consumption and efficiency. The software also lets you adjust the +12V voltage, select different fan speed profiles, and create graphs among other things. The NEX1500 can be configured for either single or multi rail +12V outputs; however the single rail mode is recommended when using more than two high-end graphics adapters.
The EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500 Classified 1500W PSU delivered very good voltage regulation, clean outputs on the three primary rails, and 80 Plus Gold efficiency while delivering up to 1650W. The NEX1500 uses all modular cables, which are color coded and sleeved. Note: Each individual wire is sleeved, not just the cables. And speaking of cables, the NEX1500 comes with eight dedicated PCI-E cables, each fitted with two 6+2 Pin PCI-E connectors. And there are three more 6 pin PCI-E connectors for a grand total of 19! The heavy duty power cord uses 12AWG wire. And let’s not forget the industrial grade handle and a 10-Year warranty.
Our only minor complaint with the NEX1500 PSU is with a relatively high amount of AC ripple on the +5VSB output under heavy load. While certainly within spec it was a lot higher than we would ideally like to see.
The EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500 Classified power supply is currently available and selling for $449.99 USD (newegg.com September 2012).
• SuperNOVA, exclusive monitoring and control software
• Switch between single or multiple +12V rails
• Control and adjust +12V output voltage for max overclocking potential
• 1500W Continuous DC output at 50°C
• Up to 1650W DC output in OC mode (230VAC input)
• Single +12V output up to 124A (133A in OC mode)
• Very good efficiency (80Plus Gold certified)
• Stable voltages with good voltage regulation
• Very clean DC outputs with low AC ripple (three primary rails)
• All modular cables, every individual wire is sleeved
• Very good build quality with all Japanese brand capacitors
• (19) PCI-E connectors for multiple graphic card support
• NVIDIA SLI Certified
• Sanyo Denki dual ball bearing fan for exceptional reliability
• Universal AC input with Active PFC
• Backed by a 10-year warranty
• Serious Geek Factor!
• A little more AC ripple on the +5VSB output than we would like to see
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500 Classified 1500W Power Supply
I would like to thank our friends at EVGA for sending us the new SuperNOVA NEX1500 PSU to review – thank you and keep up the good work!
Get notified when we go live!