EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500 Classified 1500W Power Supply Review
Introduction and Features
EVGA might not be the first name that comes to mind when looking for a high-end power supply but they are about to change that with the introduction of the SuperNOVA NEX1500 Classified 1500W power supply. Not only is the SuperNOVA NEX1500 Classified the highest capacity power supply we have reviewed to date, it also comes bundled with EVGA’s SuperNOVA software that allows monitoring all of the power supply’s functions in real-time from your desktop.
EVGA was founded in 1999 with headquarters in Brea, California. They currently specialize in producing NVIDIA based graphics adapters and Intel based motherboards and they are now expanding their product line to include enthusiast grade power supplies, starting with the NEX1500. EVGA plans to add 750W and 650W models to follow.
The EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500 Classified power supply can deliver up to 1500W combined load while operating on 120VAC mains and can be “overclocked” to 1650W if operated on 240 VAC mains. It used to be that ~1200W DC output was about as high as you could go on 120VAC mains but as the overall PSU total efficiency has increased higher outputs are now possible. The NEX1500 supports either single or multiple +12V rail modes (DIP switch selectable) and can deliver up to 124A on the +12V rail (133A in OC mode). WOW – you can weld ½” steel plate with 120A!! (OK, I might have trouble keeping the arc stable at 12V, but that is still some serious current.) This bad-boy even comes with a handle and is backed by a 10-Year warranty. And just to tickle your interest, here are a few stats you might be wondering about:
• 1500W Continuous power output @50°C (1650W in OC mode)
• 124A +12V rail (133A in OC mode)
• SuperNOVA control and monitoring software included (USB interface)
• (19) PCI-E connectors and (2) EPS12V connectors
• OEM is Etasis Electronics Corp. (well-known in the server industry)
• MSRP $449.99 USD (available now)
Here is what EVGA has to say about the new SuperNOVA NEX1500 Classified PSU:
“The EVGA NEX1500 Classified is the ultimate enthusiast power supply. Designed to support the toughest hardware, the EVGA NEX1500 Classified supports ground-breaking new features like SuperNOVA enthusiast software control, Overclock Mode that increases the maximum power output up to 1650W, and fully modular, individually sleeved cables.
You can also count on EVGA to provide the utmost reliability and performance, with 100% Japanese capacitors and a durable ball bearing fan. The NEX1500 Classified is designed from start to finish to be the best choice for today’s most demanding high-end computers. Get to the next level with the EVGA NEX1500 Classified Power Supply!"
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500 Classified 1500W PSU Key Features:
• SuperNOVA, exclusive power supply control and monitoring software
• Control and adjust +12V voltage for maximum overclocking potential
• Switch between single or multiple +12V rails for ultimate control
• Overclock Mode allows PSU to deliver up to 1650W with 230VAC input
• Unbeatable 10-Year Warranty and unparalleled EVGA Customer Support
• 80PLUS Gold certified, with up to 90% efficiency under typical loads
• Highest quality Japanese brand capacitors ensure long-term reliability
• Individually sleeved cables for outstanding looks and cable management
• Fully modular to reduce clutter and improve airflow
• NVIDIA SLI Certified
• Sanyo Denki ball bearing fan for exceptional reliability and quiet operation
• Universal AC input (100-240V) with Active PFC
• Heavy-duty Protections: OVP, UVP, OCP, OPP, SCP and OTP
• Dimensions: 150mm (W) x 86mm (H) x 200mm (L)
Establishing an accurate load is critical to testing and evaluating a PC power supply. PCPerspective’s power supply test bench can place a precise DC load on the PSU under test. Each power supply is tested under controlled, real-world conditions up to its maximum rated load (at 40ºC), using both 115 VAC and 240 VAC line voltage. Our current suite of tests includes:
• DC Load Regulation
• DC Line Regulation
• DC Cross-load (unbalanced load)
• AC Ripple and Noise
• Power Factor
• Differential Temperature
The EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500 Classified power supply was evaluated on both features and performance. A full range of equipment was used to test the power supply under controlled load conditions.
• (2) CSI3710A Programmable DC load (+3.3V and +5V outputs)
• (4) CSI3711A Programmable DC load (+12V1, +12V2, +12V3, and +12V4)
• (2) 200W Precision resistor load bank (+12V5 and +12V6)
• Switchable precision resistor load bank (-12V and +5VSB)
• Extech MultiMaster MM570 digital multimeter (Accuracy ±0.02%)
• Extech 380803 Power Analyzer (Accuracy ±0.5% of full scale)
• DS1M12 "StingRay" digital oscilloscope (20M S/s with 12 Bit ADC)
• Powerstat Variable Autotransformer, 1.4 KVA, 0-140 VAC
• Extech Model 407738 digital sound level meter (Accuracy ±1.5 dB)
Get notified when we go live!