BFG Tech ES-800 Power Supply Review - Frequency Conversion
Introduction and Features
BFG Technologies entered the PC power supply market a little over a year ago and now they are back with a completely new 800W model. The BFG Tech ES-800 features frequency conversion technology to help maximize efficiency across a broad range of loads and it can deliver up to 800W of continuous DC power. The ES-800 power supply includes four PCI-E connectors to support the latest high end graphic cards and is SLI certified for Nvidia’s 8800 GTX. And, it incorporates multiple +12V outputs that can deliver up to 780W with no load required on the +3.3V or 5V rails.
The BFG Tech ES-800 power supply uses a single 138mm cooling fan and is available in two different models; one for North America and the other for Europe (different power cords).
BFG Tech PSU Key Features:
• 800 watt continuous power output (up to 40°C)
• Up to 85% efficient during typical loads
• Variable operating frequency matches output capacity to load
• ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 support
• Compact chassis (165mm deep) for easy installation
• 138mm cooling fan maximizes airflow with minimal noise
• High quality Japanese capacitors for longer life and reliable operation
• Four +12V outputs (up to 65A/780W combined)
• No load required on +3.3V and +5V outputs
• Four PCI-E connectors (NVIDIA SLI certified for 8800 GTX)
• Sleeved cables with gold plated connector terminals
• Active PFC with Universal AC line input
• Life-time warranty and 24/7 Tech support
Packaging and Parts
The BFG ES-800 power supply arrived securely packed inside a retail box that highlights the power supply's features and specifications. In addition to the power supply the package includes a power cord, mounting screws, printed User’s Manual, and a package of cable wraps.
Establishing an accurate load is critical to testing and evaluating a PC power supply. PCPerspective’s power supply test bench can place a precise 2,000 watt DC load on the PSU under test. Each power supply is tested under controlled, real-world conditions up to its maximum rated load (at 40ºC), using both 115 VAC and 240 VAC line voltage. Our current suite of tests includes:
• DC Load Regulation
• DC Line Regulation
• DC Cross-load (unbalanced load)
• AC Ripple and Noise
• Power Factor
• Differential Temperature
The BFG ES-800 power supply was evaluated on both features and performance. A full range of equipment was used to test the power supply under controlled load conditions.
• (2) CSI3710A Programmable DC load (+3.3V and +5V outputs)
• (4) CSI3711A Programmable DC load (+12V1, +12V2, +12V3, and +12V4)
• FLUKE 87-III True RMS digital multimeter (Accuracy ±0.05%)
• Extech 380803 Power Analyzer (Accuracy ±0.5% of full scale)
• Hitachi V-650F 60 MHz dual trace oscilloscope (Accuracy ±3%)
• Powerstat Variable Autotransformer, 1.4 KVA, 0-140 VAC
• FLUKE 52-II digital thermometer (Accuracy ±0.3ºC/0.5ºF)
• Extech Model 407738 digital sound level meter (Accuracy ±1.5 dB)
• Custom Lian Li PC60 enclosure to simulate real-world operating conditions
Get notified when we go live!