When only 4TB will do

Subject: Storage | April 9, 2013 - 06:58 PM |
Tagged: western digital, wd black, hdd, 4TB

SSDs may be the speed kings but when you need a lot of storage space they quickly become quite expensive which is where the new WD Black 4TB HDD shines as it is only $85 $300.  It spins at 7200RPM and has a 64MB cache which ought to make it a bit faster than other high density HDDs which are on the market though the 800GB platters could slow that expected performance somewhat.  It also comes with a 5 year warranty which is much better than the usual 2 year warranty many companies have adopted as standard for their platter based drives.  Check out the full review at The Tech Report.

"Western Digital's Black 4TB the only desktop hard drive to combine that top-of-the-line capacity with a 7,200-RPM spindle speed and five years of warranty coverage. We take a closer look."

Here are some more Storage reviews from around the web:

Storage

April 9, 2013 | 07:23 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Actually it's $300, not $85. Had me excited for a minute. They changed their pricing now to show 500 - 4TB versions of the same drive on one page. It's $85 for the 500GB one.

April 10, 2013 | 01:14 PM - Posted by Jeremy Hellstrom

Damn you NewEgg ... let me fix that

April 9, 2013 | 07:54 PM - Posted by RoboGeoff (not verified)

What that first guy said. $85 for a 4TB Black would be a ridiculously good deal.

April 9, 2013 | 08:00 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Yeah, I almost fell out of the chair when I saw the price. The warranty is pretty fantastic though. Really good to see that they are standing behind the product like that.

April 10, 2013 | 01:30 AM - Posted by Arc (not verified)

I caught some 4TB Seagate externals for about $140/ea, got two and some cables, but I think the price is back to 169 now or so.

I still prefer WD Black drives for internal use and my 2Tb WD black internal still puts out as an external with a nice E-sata cable.

Rant.
WD passports and pocket drives are PoS though, people bring them to me all the time hoping I can fix them. Toshiba isn't much better, too sensitive to moondust. (Fine silt)
End rant.